XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source!

XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! (http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/)
-   M1911 (http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/m1911/)
-   -   Springfield TRP vs. Dan Wesson Valor vs. Wilson Combat (*) (http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/m1911/81515-springfield-trp-vs-dan-wesson-valor-vs-wilson-combat.html)

ormandj 08-26-2008 04:55 AM

Springfield TRP vs. Dan Wesson Valor vs. Wilson Combat (*)

I love my XD45c, but I just cannot seem to shoot it nearly as accurately as I shoot the 1911 models. I probably won't sell the XD as I know it'll shoot in just about any condition, but I am in the market for a 1911.

I'm curious, of these three pistols, which would you choose? I've got ~1500$ budgeted to a 1911 right now, but would be willing to save longer if it would be worthwhile.

In the <1500$ category:

1. Springfield TRP
2. Dan Wesson Valor

In the >1500$ category:
1. Wilson Combat (any of their solid steel pistols - for example a CQB)
2. Springfield Professional (can get these for around the same as a CQB)

Here are my priorities and likes/dislikes, with 1 being most important, and increasing numbers being less:
1. Reliability
2. Accuracy
3. Company behind the pistol (for instance, SA is well known for honoring their pistols for life, Wilson is also well known for the same, Dan Wesson from what I've seen does a good job but they don't make lifetime promises that I can tell.)
4. Looks (subjective, I like the cleanness of the DW Valor for instance, no huge banners across the sides unlike the other two makers I mentioned.)

To be honest, I had settled on a TRP, as I don't like the stainless finish of DW pistols, but then I remembered the Valor, which is a great looking pistol.

The only thing else I was thinking about was a SA Professional, used, and a Wilson CQB. The Pro would be ~1700-1800 used most likely, the CQB, over 2k. Is the additional money worth it, keeping in mind my priorities?

I really appreciate any input you have, even if you have additional suggestions. I've spent a good 3 months deciding on which pistol to buy, and will likely spend another 2, because I want to make a purchase that will last me a lifetime and eventually be passed on through generations. Money doesn't grow on trees, so I'm trying to get it right on round #1. http://forums.1911forum.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Cheers!

PS - One other option I was considering, which I did not mention, was getting a really basic pistol, and customizing it as I saw fit. If I got a SA (mil-spec or maybe a loaded if it made sense) I'd probably use their custom shop to upgrade it. The biggest thing for me, that might cause an issue, is hammer bite. I'm one of those people who get _bitten_ by it with a non-beavertail 1911. I guess the webbing on my hand is too fat or something! So, if I did go this route, I would be unable to shoot the pistol until it had an extended beavertail.

Bycyclist 08-26-2008 06:09 AM

Wilson Combat CQB Hands down. I've shot three of the four listed (never handled the DW) and it was heads and shoulders fit, feel and accuracy of the Wilson Combat CQB - which is what I ended up getting. No regrets. Outstanding, personal, customer service as well. That's worth alot of piece of mind to me.

Can't speak to the reliability for the others, but the CQB is very reliable. Once you've sorted out which ammo you want, you won't have probs. Feeds FMJ like no prob of course. I've taken this gun on multiple thousand round+ courses, with only a quick wipedown and re-lube to keep it functioning flawlessly.

tomfoolery 08-26-2008 07:07 AM

I'm a sucker for the TRP. It comes upgraded and reliable out of the box, as do all Wilson Combat pistols. I guess i'd go with either of those two lines. I'm not a big big fan of Dan Wesson pistols.

foo.c 08-26-2008 08:28 AM

You'll probably be happy with any of those pistols.

I found a decent deal on a used CQB and I'm really happy with it.

Bobby Schulz 08-26-2008 09:55 AM

For the kind of money you are wanting to spend I say get a Les Baer or a Brown for just a little more and have the best.

SpeedRacer 08-26-2008 10:07 AM

Another vote for a CQB. Just be patient and you'll find one for a good deal and be glad you waited!

bac1023 08-26-2008 10:10 PM

I have them all. Well actually, I have the TGO1, which is Springfield's best 1911, instead of the Pro. I do own a CQB, Valor, and TRP.

Out of all of them, the TGO1 is the best 1911, in my opinion. They retail a good deal more than the CQB does though.

mity2 08-27-2008 02:23 PM

I'm big DanWesson fan.

So my answer would be as expected.
I never held Wilson combat, but if you look at DanWesson 1911(I have CBOB), you'll be amazed of quality and fit/finish. And accuracy. And my CBOB feeds fired brass from mag. if it can feed empties, it'll feed ANYTHING...

And its cheaper then Wilsoncombat...

bac1023 08-27-2008 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mity2 (Post 1289004)
And its cheaper then Wilsoncombat...

Yeah, but its not a Wilson Combat. There is a big difference between Dan Wesson and Wilson, believe me.

Don't get me wrong, DWs are great for the money and recommend them all the time. Wilson, is a step or two up the ladder though.

FATSEXY 08-29-2008 04:35 PM

Get a Springfield GI model and find yourself a gunsmith around to custom it up for you.