• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Ok another "which 1911 should I get" thread

This is a discussion on Ok another "which 1911 should I get" thread within the M1911 forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; Originally Posted by speeddemon40 I've been reading alot on 1911 forums and it seems like the majority of people having problems with their 3 & ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » M1911 » Ok another "which 1911 should I get" thread

Old 05-21-2008, 05:01 PM   #11
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 23857
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddemon40 View Post
I've been reading alot on 1911 forums and it seems like the majority of people having problems with their 3 & 3.5" barrels have been resolved over a good break in period, while few actually had problems that the manufacturer had to resolve

Thanks
I have to disagree with you on this one. Well I don't know if disagree is the right word. It pisses me off that gun makers can charge people a lot of money for a gun and then tell us that we have to "break" the guns in, i.e. spend a lot of time and money on bullets to get the gun to work well. It used to be that one would spend a lot on a 1911 and then send it off to a gunsmith to make it reliable. For what these guns cost they ought to be broken in already. I have had to send my brand new unfired Kahr CW 45 in for repair and will have to do so again because it still isn't working right.

(That experience is the reason for the anger you are hearing in this email - it nothing you have said/done).

I refuse to "break it in". The gun ought to work for what I paid for it right out of the box. Yet it comes with a warning that it cannot be considered reliable until at least 200 rounds have gone through it. The gun didn't come with a coupon for 200 rounds worth of ammo from Wal-Mart. I have to pay more money to see if it will work!

Quote:
I really like the 4" model, but at 31 oz plus 7 round mag will that be heavy for summer carry?
If you want a reliable and lightweight carry gun for the summer then get a S&W model 642 in .38 special. It will go bang each and every time and it only weighs 15 ounces and it hides well in a pocket holster. Better yet get the new 642 powerport model with improved sights and a big compensator to reduce the recoil. Product: Model 642 PowerPort - Pro Series Revolver

Chapie+
Chapie+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-21-2008, 05:10 PM   #12
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 6526
Kimber,Colt XSE, anyof the custom makers. Most have a pistolwith the Officers Frame and Commander slide. I am serious I have big hands and have never had a problem with these smaller framed 1911's. They conceal beautifully and have the longer sight radius.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:14 PM   #13
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 24275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapie+ View Post
I have to disagree with you on this one. Well I don't know if disagree is the right word. It pisses me off that gun makers can charge people a lot of money for a gun and then tell us that we have to "break" the guns in, i.e. spend a lot of time and money on bullets to get the gun to work well. It used to be that one would spend a lot on a 1911 and then send it off to a gunsmith to make it reliable. For what these guns cost they ought to be broken in already. I have had to send my brand new unfired Kahr CW 45 in for repair and will have to do so again because it still isn't working right.

(That experience is the reason for the anger you are hearing in this email - it nothing you have said/done).

I refuse to "break it in". The gun ought to work for what I paid for it right out of the box. Yet it comes with a warning that it cannot be considered reliable until at least 200 rounds have gone through it. The gun didn't come with a coupon for 200 rounds worth of ammo from Wal-Mart. I have to pay more money to see if it will work!

If you want a reliable and lightweight carry gun for the summer then get a S&W model 642 in .38 special. It will go bang each and every time and it only weighs 15 ounces and it hides well in a pocket holster. Better yet get the new 642 powerport model with improved sights and a big compensator to reduce the recoil. Product: Model 642 PowerPort - Pro Series Revolver

Chapie+
Sorry to hear about that bad luck man. I understand your anger and frustration. I completely agree with the fact that you shouldn't have to spent a grand (or more) then put 500 rounds through it to break it in. I guess I just thought that was the nature of 1911s.

Now you bring up an excellent point.... which is a very very bad one for my wallet. hahaha
Since I was thinking about getting another gun soon (and had been saving), I could get the 1911 I want and still buy myself something that I can carry daily with no worries of what Im wearing... I'd still like to be able to comfortably carry whatever 1911 I get, but give me more flexability in my choice.
speeddemon40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:15 PM   #14
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 17015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapie+ View Post

Chapie+
I will never carry or recommend a ported gun for self defense. Too much risk that if you have to shoot from the hip in a contact distance situation, you're going to have hot gases coming up at your neck and face. I'm quite content with a standard barrel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
jtkratzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:47 PM   #15
XDTalk 2K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkratzer View Post
I will never carry or recommend a ported gun for self defense. Too much risk that if you have to shoot from the hip in a contact distance situation, you're going to have hot gases coming up at your neck and face. I'm quite content with a standard barrel.
Have to admit I never thought of it that way.

Chapie+
Old 05-21-2008, 11:53 PM   #16
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 23238
while i really want a 3 or 3.5 in 1911 i do have to say i've been leaning more towards the commander sized 1911 lately or gov. sized again as i used to have on just did not have the ccw while i had it. i do know that while around the house i kept it in a blanchi or fobus paddle holster and after a while it kinda hurt but...after doing this for a while whenever i was home i got used to the weight and it stopped making the muscles sore. My next purchase will be a Springfield GI Commander then get the sights changed.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery. Forbid it O' Mighty God for I know not what course others may take. But as for me, Give me Liberty or give me Death. - Patrick Henry
[/FONT]
RIA 1911 .45ACP
Uberti Millenium .45LC
Rossi 461 .357mag
Heritage SA .22lr/.22mag
Maverick security 88 12ga
Marlin 70 .22lr
Walther P22 .22lr
Savage Mark II .22lr
charlie.45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:13 AM   #17
XDTalk Member

Member #: 16784
I got a Colt New agent a couple months ago. It doesn't have the night sights, but it meets all your other requirements. Shop for one and you'll find it at about $750.00. It has been perfect right out of the box. It feeds any ammo I've put through it (Speer Gold Dots, Hydra-Shok, etc.) Once you get used to the trench sights, it's a great gun, and extremely accurate - a damn sight more accurate than I am.

Fully loaded it weighs about 8 ounces more than my Mustang. It is a GREAT concealed carry gun, and really is designed for that very purpose in every way.

Harris
Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:13 AM   #18
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 17015
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie.45 View Post
while i really want a 3 or 3.5 in 1911 i do have to say i've been leaning more towards the commander sized 1911 lately or gov. sized again as i used to have on just did not have the ccw while i had it. i do know that while around the house i kept it in a blanchi or fobus paddle holster and after a while it kinda hurt but...after doing this for a while whenever i was home i got used to the weight and it stopped making the muscles sore. My next purchase will be a Springfield GI Commander then get the sights changed.
A good belt is vital to carrying a full-sized 1911...I tried it without one, it worked, but it's so much nicer with a good belt to support it.

Also, have you seen the Fobus paddle holster video? They've redesigned them since this video was made, but if you have an old one, just consider it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
jtkratzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:58 AM   #19
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 24275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harris View Post
I got a Colt New agent a couple months ago. It doesn't have the night sights, but it meets all your other requirements. Shop for one and you'll find it at about $750.00. It has been perfect right out of the box. It feeds any ammo I've put through it (Speer Gold Dots, Hydra-Shok, etc.) Once you get used to the trench sights, it's a great gun, and extremely accurate - a damn sight more accurate than I am.

Fully loaded it weighs about 8 ounces more than my Mustang. It is a GREAT concealed carry gun, and really is designed for that very purpose in every way.

Harris
I did some research and that looks like a damn good gun! I have mixed feelings about the trench sights though. hmmm I'm going to see if i can find a local shop that has one in stock.

Thanks
speeddemon40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:22 AM   #20
XDTalk 2K Member

Quote:
I did some research and that looks like a damn good gun! I have mixed feelings about the trench sights though. hmmm I'm going to see if i can find a local shop that has one in stock.
Thanks
Here's a link worth reading over on the Colt Agent: The M-1911 Pistols Organization E-zine
Chapie+

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » M1911

Search tags for this page
govt 1911 series 70
springfield armory 1911 series 70
springfield armory champion lp

springfield armory champion operator review

springfield armory lightweight champion operator price

springfield armory lightweight champion operator review

springfield armory lightweight operator review
springfield armory px9115l
springfield champion operator review
springfield lightweight champion operator 45 acp 1911 review
springfield lightweight operator review
what 1911 pistol should i get
what 1911 should i get

which 1911

which 1911 should i buy
Click on a term to search for related topics.