• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Review: Taurus PT1911 AR (Accessory Rail)

This is a discussion on Review: Taurus PT1911 AR (Accessory Rail) within the M1911 forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; I've been quietly lurking the 1911 forum here and elsewhere learning about the Taurus PT1911. My summary of the research. 1: Ambi safety is prone ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » M1911 » Review: Taurus PT1911 AR (Accessory Rail)

Old 04-06-2008, 08:52 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 12783
Review: Taurus PT1911 AR (Accessory Rail)

I've been quietly lurking the 1911 forum here and elsewhere learning about the Taurus PT1911. My summary of the research.
1: Ambi safety is prone to breakage, but I'd want to replace it with a single sided one if it gives up the ghost.
2: Customer service is not the best, but this is not my CCW and if the ambi safety breaks, I'll have my gunsmith take care of it anyways (ref: #1).
3: Accurate, very accurate.
4: Majority of owners are very happy and have zero breakage issue. Some have true breakages but may get posted online and have disproportionate attention/coverage. Regarding the posts, very few have photos of the breakage, so some postulate that people are trolling or bashing.
5: Most factory railed 1911 start at ~$1100 (SA and Kimber).
6: Did I mention it being more accurate than many 1911s costing 3x more?

I decided to get the PT1911 AR, the blued railed version. Finally got it from my local shop after a 6 week wait for $539. Main purpose is for HD and IPSC matches.

Put 200 rounds through it with zero FTF, FTE or FT anything. Target = 10 - 15 yrds, off hand and double taps, 40 rounds of Winchester 230gf FMJ.

Streamlight TLR-2

In summary, I really like the weapon. I'll reserve final judgment until after ~1000 rounds and a few matches.
I'll entertain any questions, comments or corrections.

Cheers,
Old 04-07-2008, 07:26 AM   #2
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 14867
Nice.

I agree that if there are so many breakages, and sights falling off, etc.....
how come we never see any pictures????

Yes I am a pirate,
200 Years too late,
The cannons don't thunder, there's nothin to plunder, I'm an over 40 victim of fate,
Arriving too late, Arriving too late...

Jimmy Buffet
Pinedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:33 AM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 21662
Hmm.. I never liked the 1911s with the acc. rail. However...seeing yours with the TLR-2 mounted changes my mind. That looks pretty cool. I dont think Im going to get one with a rail....but if the right deal came along I wouldnt turn it down!

J.
ghettocruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:49 AM   #4
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 9181
My safety kept breaking. Right hand side(lefty safety) would fall off consistently while firing. Guess I never really cared to take pictures of it, or maybe it was that I rushed to get rid of it and didn't have the time. Then again, I bought one of the first released. Everybody was groveling for them, and I got luck and scored one on a "Taurus Manufacturer Day" at my dealer. So, maybe I got one of the junky one that was hastily put together to meet demand.

I would agree that it was reasonably accurate. At the time, I compared it to a Colt Mark IV Gold Cup, and I would say that the three of us that fired them both would all agree that the Gold Cup was more accurate. Definitely more pleasant to shoot.

I didn't have my TRP Operator at the time to compare it to, but I can say I would never give up my Operator for anything. I doubt the PT1911 could hang with it. Would love to get my hands on another one and put them side by side.

Overall, I would say the PT1911 is a very good buy for the money. Glad you are having good success with it. Nice groupings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
LUVMYSIGP225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 06:33 PM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUVMYSIGP225 View Post
My safety kept breaking. Right hand side(lefty safety) would fall off consistently while firing. Guess I never really cared to take pictures of it, or maybe it was that I rushed to get rid of it and didn't have the time. Then again, I bought one of the first released. Everybody was groveling for them, and I got luck and scored one on a "Taurus Manufacturer Day" at my dealer. So, maybe I got one of the junky one that was hastily put together to meet demand.

I would agree that it was reasonably accurate. At the time, I compared it to a Colt Mark IV Gold Cup, and I would say that the three of us that fired them both would all agree that the Gold Cup was more accurate. Definitely more pleasant to shoot.

I didn't have my TRP Operator at the time to compare it to, but I can say I would never give up my Operator for anything. I doubt the PT1911 could hang with it. Would love to get my hands on another one and put them side by side.

Overall, I would say the PT1911 is a very good buy for the money. Glad you are having good success with it. Nice groupings.
Thanks Sig,

I've shot cheaper end Kimbers and entry level 1911s from Rock Island and SA only, so I don't consider myself a true connoisseur. But of the 1911s I've personally fired, the Taurus so far has been the nicest. Also agree that some of the earlier models might have had some growing pains. And I also agree that it is good value for the money.

Perhaps the recoil is even less due to the weight of the rail and the light/laser.

I think the only thing I might change up is to get larger grips. Although I have average size hands, it feels a bit too thin at times. Holding the 1911 like the XD-9 service causes bony pain at the base of the thumb on my shooting hand.
The target was shot without laser or light. One flyer to the left while double tapping.

Cheers,
Old 04-07-2008, 09:02 PM   #6
XDTalk Member

Member #: 3851
Nice group.
XD-.45 Compact
redbrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:41 PM   #7
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 23077
Nice weapon. Have you had a chance to shoot longer distances like 25 yards?

"Walk softly and carry a big stick." - Theodore Roosevelt
jon45xdtac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:42 PM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon45xdtac View Post
Nice weapon. Have you had a chance to shoot longer distances like 25 yards?
Jon,
Not yet. I'll be shooting single stack in IPSC this weekend and will hit some 25 yrd groupings.
Stay tuned... more to come.

Cheers,
Old 04-09-2008, 11:05 AM   #9
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 6526
If you are planning to use it in competition and home defence I would definately replace the hammer, sear and Safety with quality aftermarket pieces from C&S, Wilson,Les Baer ect. I hate internal locks as I have seen several malfunctions of both the Springfield and Taurus systems. My Springer Loaded ILS lasted 1/2 hour before being replaced with a S&A magwell.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:30 AM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 23318
There's a reason the big smiths work with the brands they do. Will the Taurus work for 90% of people, sure. Just keep an eye on the small things.
ckuplent is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » M1911

Search tags for this page

pt 1911 ar

pt 1911 ar accessories
pt1911ar
pt1911ar review
taurus 1911

taurus 1911 ar

taurus 1911 ar review
taurus 1911 rail
taurus 1911 with rail review
taurus 1911ar
taurus pt 1911 accessories

taurus pt 1911 ar

taurus pt 1911 ar accessories

taurus pt 1911 ar review

taurus pt1911 ar

taurus pt1911 ar review
Click on a term to search for related topics.