• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Preparing to make the Leap

This is a discussion on Preparing to make the Leap within the M1911 forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; Hey guys, been lurking since I bought my XD9 a month ago. It was my first gun purchase and I have already shot 700 rounds ...

Old 04-25-2012, 01:23 AM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 72762
Preparing to make the Leap

Hey guys, been lurking since I bought my XD9 a month ago. It was my first gun purchase and I have already shot 700 rounds through it without a single hiccup. Rented a S&W 1911 and was immediately smitten. Later rented a Knight Hawk but had 5 FTFs in 50 rounds (but it was a rental). Well, I am sick of renting and I am ready to make my first 1911 purchase. I have narrowed it down to these:
  • Ruger SR-1911 (but I will have to wait for it, and I haven't even touched one, which really makes me nervous to purchase but I love what I have heard!)
  • Springfield Armory Range Officer (Loved the trigger! Hate the sights but can change them, its a bit of a price jump but hear it's the best bang for the buck)
  • Kimber Custom II (found one for $699 locally and drooled all over it)
  • or an RIA Tactical (didn't really like the trigger, seemed to have a tad bit of creep to it but the price is so good. Guy at the shop says he never sees them after he sells them because buyers love them. People say, "You get what you pay for" but it is only my first 1911...)
Sorry for the length but this is a big choice for me. Do I drop the extra for the Kimber or more for the RO? Or do I bank on what I have heard and dive for the Ruger? Save my money and get the RIA? Now, a lot of you may tell me to try and shoot these but I have tried and it doesn't seem like that is an option. I value your opinions. Help me out guys, oh, and have I mentioned I am hooked on firearms?

Last edited by KAcker87; 04-25-2012 at 01:58 AM. Reason: mis-spelling, grammar
KAcker87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-25-2012, 01:25 AM   #2
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 39740
Of the 4 choices you have it narrowed to, if it were me I would go with the Springfield or the Ruger

You wont go wrong with either in that price range
Old 04-25-2012, 09:16 AM   #3
XDTalk Member

Member #: 72747
I have no personal experience with the Rugers, so I can't speak.

I'd personally stay away from the Kimber, as they are way to finicky with ammo (personal experience with three different Kimbers).

The RIA guns are excellent for the money, hard to say no to them.

Lastly is the Springfield, which would be my personal choice/preference. The first thing is Springfield's lifetime warranty and customer service, which is hands down one of the best, if not the best, in the market. Second, you mentioned the sights. Luckily, the Range Officer comes with Bo-Mar style sights, so your options for changing them are many. 1911s that come with Novak sights need to have their slides milled to fit Bo-Mar style sights, or they have to stay with Novak type sights.
vecte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:25 AM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 71699
Of all of the 1911's I have shot growing up. The Springfield and Colts are by far my favorites.

Traded rounds at the range recently to shoot a guys Springfield Range Officer. I shot it better than my fathers Colt. It is an awesome gun!

As far as Ruger and RIA I don't know anything about them...

Winchester 1300
Remington 870 Tacticool
Marlin 22 WMR Bolt Action
Windham Weaponry SRC AR 15

XDM 4.5 9mm
AMT Backup .45
Ruger P345 .45
Kahr CW9 9mm
Sig P228 9mm
Sharpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:35 PM   #5
XDTalk Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecte View Post
I have no personal experience with the Rugers, so I can't speak.

I'd personally stay away from the Kimber, as they are way to finicky with ammo (personal experience with three different Kimbers).

The RIA guns are excellent for the money, hard to say no to them.

Lastly is the Springfield, which would be my personal choice/preference. The first thing is Springfield's lifetime warranty and customer service, which is hands down one of the best, if not the best, in the market. Second, you mentioned the sights. Luckily, the Range Officer comes with Bo-Mar style sights, so your options for changing them are many. 1911s that come with Novak sights need to have their slides milled to fit Bo-Mar style sights, or they have to stay with Novak type sights.
Thanks, Vecte. I was all for the Kimber but came home read up and what I thought was Kimber Jealousy was actually Kimber experience. It seems if you don't spend over $1000 for a Kimber you have a much higher chance of issues. I will probably eventually get one but not for my first 1911. One down, three more to choose from!
Old 04-25-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
XDTalk Member

Member #: 72747
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAcker87 View Post
Thanks, Vecte. I was all for the Kimber but came home read up and what I thought was Kimber Jealousy was actually Kimber experience. It seems if you don't spend over $1000 for a Kimber you have a much higher chance of issues. I will probably eventually get one but not for my first 1911. One down, three more to choose from!
Just for reference, it's any Kimber, not just the cheaper ones (at least in my experience). I owned a Custom II, a TLE/RL, and a Desert Warrior ($1400 gun), and had feeding issues with all three. Two of the guns went back to Kimber, but I still had feeding issues pop up, even long after their break-in periods. I tried countless brands of magazines, followed everything Kimber said perfectly, but I still had issues with ejection.
vecte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:57 PM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 71627
I recently snagged a Ruger SR1911. Funny thing is I wasnt looking for one until it popped up on my refresh screen on gunsamerica. For the price I couldnt pass it up...Its an excellent 1911, with a great trigger, series 70 slide, oversized ejection port and the fit & finish is up to snuff with 1000$ guns..however they are a PITA to get/find right now so if your not a patient gun buyer it may not be a good choice for you right now.

Out of the choices you listed a reliable and quality 1911 can be had in all but for the $$ the RIA, SA and Ruger would be the 3 makers I would personally search out. I think the Kimbers are nice but overpriced when sitting next to comparable versions of the other 3 you listed as choices.
Ruger SR1911
Kahr MK9
Sav. Mod 12 .22-250 / Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 MD
CZ 527 American 22 Hornet / Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x44
Sigman78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:14 PM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 44031
Get the Springfield. You won't be sorry! I have a Springfield 1911 Lightweight Operator. It's the finest firearm I have ever shot. In fact I'm selling my XDm to buy another Springfield 1911. I'm getting the Springfield Loaded Micro Compact Lightweight for my carry gun.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

XDm-40 3.8 two-tone w/ Viridian C5L laser and Trijicon night sights (SOLD)

Springfield 1911 Lightweight Operator
Springfield 1911 Micro-Compct
Vaffanculo403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:47 PM   #9
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 43415
IMHO, SR1911 or Springfield Loaded...Y well you get Night sights and there are Novak and Dovetail front.

I guess i'm a little byest, i own 2 springfields..

I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.
XDM bitone 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:22 PM   #10
XDTalk Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDM bitone 40 View Post
IMHO, SR1911 or Springfield Loaded...Y well you get Night sights and there are Novak and Dovetail front.

I guess i'm a little byest, i own 2 springfields..
I appreciate the feedback but I would already be stretching for the RO. The Loaded just is a little much for my first 1911. Unless, other posts agree.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » M1911

1911, first post, kimber, ruger sr-1911, springfield armory

Search tags for this page
grips to go with ria parkerized finish
has gun galaxy in ohio received any ruger sr1911's recently
how ro remove parkerized finish
is gun galaxy in cleveland ever going to get a ruger sr1911
is gun galaxy in ohio ever get ruger sr1911
is the taurus pt1911 parkerized
kimber custom 2 best bang for your buck

night sights for ruger sr1911

p220 match elite cincinnati
ruger sr1911 life expectancy

ruger sr1911 vs kimber

sexy 1911 range officer

taurus pt1911 v kimber custom
where i can buy a ria 1911 handgun near birmingham,al.
will the springfield gi grips fit the ruger 1911
Click on a term to search for related topics.