• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Ria/citadel 1911 recoil spring # ??

This is a discussion on Ria/citadel 1911 recoil spring # ?? within the M1911 forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; Im just curious if any of you know roughly what the poundage is on the stock RIA /Citadel 1911's are?? I had bought my wife ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » M1911 » Ria/citadel 1911 recoil spring # ??

Old 02-05-2012, 06:51 PM   #1
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 54620
Ria/citadel 1911 recoil spring # ??

Im just curious if any of you know roughly what the poundage is on the stock RIA /Citadel 1911's are?? I had bought my wife a Taurus 1911 and it is a jam o matic and would not fully cycle the slide. Untill I swapped out the recoil spring out of my Citadel... then it worked flawless! My RIA and Citadel 1911s have a MUCH lighter guide rod/recoil spring. Any thoughts?? Im planning on upgrading one of my 1911's and using that stock spring in my wifes Taurus.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

Soil that is dirty grows the countless things. A river that is too pure contains no fish. Thus as a mature person you properly include and retain a measure of grime.
YoopermikeXDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #2
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
18#, iirc

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:15 PM   #3
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 43415
In 45acp 18# and 9mm 16#

I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.
XDM bitone 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:09 PM   #4
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 28471
When you start lowering the recoil spring; you might need to lower the mainspring as well.

XDm .45 5.25 Competition
XD9sc w/ TFO's
XDM 40 DP fiber optics, PRP trigger
STI Spartan 9mm
2-STI Spartan .45;s
S&W M&P 9 Pro
Kahr CW9
2-Browning Buckmarks
S&W 686
ETexPops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #5
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 54620
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETexPops View Post
When you start lowering the recoil spring; you might need to lower the mainspring as well.
Ive already clipped a coil off the mainspring.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

Soil that is dirty grows the countless things. A river that is too pure contains no fish. Thus as a mature person you properly include and retain a measure of grime.
YoopermikeXDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:48 PM   #6
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 70711
Before one starts messing with springs, it's best to get the firearm functioning properly as it comes from the factory. When Browning invented the 1911, it was designed to shoot 230 grain hardball ammo at 830-850 fps. (I'd have to go look it up for accuracy.) So, we have basic physics. "For ever action, there is an equal and opposite reaction." When the operator pulls the slide back to cock the hammer and chamber a round, the hammer depresses the hammer strut against the main spring and the sear spring moves the seer in place to catch the notch on the hammer leaving the hammer cocked. At the same time the magazine spring lifts the magazine carrier positioning a round to be loaded. When the operator releases the slide, the recoil spring that was compressed when the operator pulled the slide back, pushs the slide forward chambering a round, leaving the gun in the cocked position. When the operator presses the trigger to the rear, the sear is moved from the notch in the hammer and the main spring presses the hammer strut upward causing the hammer to rotate and strike the firing pin. This detonates the primer which ignites the power sending the bullet forward and the case backward which also pushes the slide backwards repeating the loading and cocking process. If one messes with any of the the main operators, the recoil spring, the mainspring or the ammo, one gets the physics out of balance. It typically starts when the shooter wants to shoot less powerful loads and/or lighter weight bullets in order to reduce recoil and get back on target quicker. A less powerful bullet means that the slide moves backward slower and the case is not ejected quickly enough to let the next bullet rise from the magazine or the ejected bullet to clear the eject port. So, the empty case is caught by the forward moving slide. The point I'm trying to make here is this. Get your 1911 working with 230 grain ball ammo before trying to mess with any of the physics, the mechanical dynamics, of the firearm. If it won't shoot standard ball ammo, then you have a warrenty issue with the manufacture. After it functions with factory spec ammo, then, you can begin experimenting with changing the physics. If you change one of the 3 major components that affects the timing, you must change all three. Maybe more.

Hope this helps,
from the nubee, Jacque
jacqueeagonsr is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » M1911

Search tags for this page
9mm citadel recoil spring for sale
citadel 1911 9mm spring
citadel 1911 compact recoil spring
citadel 1911 spring weighy
citadel 9mm 1911 recoil spring

citadel compact 1911 recoil spring

citadel compact 45 guide rod
citadel compact spring guide
citadel recoil spring weight
how to extract the spring from a citadel nine mil
recoil spring plunger for citadel 1911 22
recoil spring replacement for the citadel compact 1911 45 acp
replacement recoil spring for citadel compact 45
ria recoil springs
what recoil spring for citadel compact 45
why does the citadel 1911 9mm jam
Click on a term to search for related topics.