• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Should I trade in my Glock 26 for Springfield EMP??

This is a discussion on Should I trade in my Glock 26 for Springfield EMP?? within the M1911 forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; Been thinking really hard about trading in my Glock 26 Gen4 for an Springfield EMP in 9mm for my main concealed carry. I have shot ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » M1911 » Should I trade in my Glock 26 for Springfield EMP??

Old 03-11-2011, 11:38 AM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 55066
Should I trade in my Glock 26 for Springfield EMP??

Been thinking really hard about trading in my Glock 26 Gen4 for an Springfield EMP in 9mm for my main concealed carry.
I have shot and like BOTH, but only have an option to carry ONE. Being such different systems i only want to train and proficient with one.
How would y'all compare the two based on several different details? ...

[This is geared toward people who either own, owned, shot, or at least handled both, giving honest opinions. NO Glock vs 1911 bashing]

Reliability - would YOU trust your life on it?
(Yes glocks are known to be very reliable but ALL things can and do fail.)

Size - Width, hight, grip? (pictures of comparisons would be nice)

Conceal-ability - How do YOU conceal each? best methods? and problems? one more concealable then the other?

Firing - recoil differences? grip comfort? follow up shots?
Remove Ads
Old 03-11-2011, 01:20 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 43340
Ive held and shot both but owned neither.

As far as reliability is concerned...if you take care of your weapon, it will take care of you. I know a lot of guys say the 1911 is less reliable than ______...but in my experiences both work just fine. I would easily trust my life with either.

No comparison pictures (though Im sure some Googling could yield plenty). The G26 is probably shorter. The 1911 is skinnier. Depending on how you carry either will probably work fine and both are so close to one another its really hard to say which will work better for you.

Tiny guns with less weight will recoil more than full sized guns. The 1911 will have less recoil than the Glock, but still not enough to really make a HUGE difference. Both guns can put lead downrange very quickly and if you plan to become proficient with it...it wont matter if one has slightly more or less recoil.

As for my vote, I say Glock 26 despite how much I hate the grip. Something like a Compact XDm 3.8 in 9mm is MUCH more comfortable in my hand. I just prefer the newer polymer pistols. Especially if youre going to carry it around all day.
PlayFront36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:21 PM   #3
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 53491
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayFront36 View Post
Ive held and shot both but owned neither.

As far as reliability is concerned...if you take care of your weapon, it will take care of you. I know a lot of guys say the 1911 is less reliable than ______...but in my experiences both work just fine. I would easily trust my life with either.

No comparison pictures (though Im sure some Googling could yield plenty). The G26 is probably shorter. The 1911 is skinnier. Depending on how you carry either will probably work fine and both are so close to one another its really hard to say which will work better for you.

Tiny guns with less weight will recoil more than full sized guns. The 1911 will have less recoil than the Glock, but still not enough to really make a HUGE difference. Both guns can put lead downrange very quickly and if you plan to become proficient with it...it wont matter if one has slightly more or less recoil.

As for my vote, I say Glock 26 despite how much I hate the grip. Something like a Compact XDm 3.8 in 9mm is MUCH more comfortable in my hand. I just prefer the newer polymer pistols. Especially if youre going to carry it around all day.
I'm pretty sure the EMP is smaller all the way around.

OP: It depends on your needs for concealed carry. If you need something easier to conceal go with the EMP. If not I would just stick with the Glock.
dhunley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:56 PM   #4
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 1309
yes....
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:58 PM   #5
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 1309
Springfield EMP 9mm review - Glock Talk
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:40 PM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 53717
I wouldnt.
CroCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:13 PM   #7
Old Timer

Member #: 20418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack View Post
yes....
I concur...
I'd have already done it..

The answer is........Yes.

Not an EMP, but a Kimber CDP Ultra, the same size and caliber as the EMP..

1lowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:24 AM   #8
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 8238
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexguy101 View Post
Been thinking really hard about trading in my Glock 26 Gen4 for an Springfield EMP in 9mm for my main concealed carry.
I have shot and like BOTH, but only have an option to carry ONE. Being such different systems i only want to train and proficient with one.
How would y'all compare the two based on several different details? ...

[This is geared toward people who either own, owned, shot, or at least handled both, giving honest opinions. NO Glock vs 1911 bashing]

Reliability - would YOU trust your life on it?
(Yes glocks are known to be very reliable but ALL things can and do fail.)

Size - Width, hight, grip? (pictures of comparisons would be nice)

Conceal-ability - How do YOU conceal each? best methods? and problems? one more concealable then the other?

Firing - recoil differences? grip comfort? follow up shots?
Wooo boy. Tough question. In all honesty, if it was me, I would keep the Glock and have both.

I have never shot and or handled the G26 but I do have and XDSC (which I think is comparable, maybe a little taller) and currently "am keeping safe " my friends EMP9.

The EMP9 has been flawless since round 1. I was with my buddy when he broke it in and he used WWB Hp's. Zero problems. It has eaten everything it has been fed.

The only issues I have had were my fault. My thumb was riding the slide a bit, which was just enough to slow the momentum down enough to cause FTF. Once I discovered and corrected that, zero issues.

Here are a few comparison pictures of the EMP9, XDSC9, and my Kahr CW9 thrown in.

Hope this helps.

You cant go wrong. I love them all and have no issues carrying any of them. Recoil, imo, is negligble. All are very accurate, moreso than me.

The ONLY thing you give up is capacity. For that, you need to adjust accordingly.

Good luck.
benp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:43 AM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 49691
I haven't found a Glock I like enough to own. Doesn't mean they are bad guns just not right for me. I carry the EMP everyday & have had zero problems with it. It eats everything I stick in it,recoil is very mild to me & its accurate.

I am partial to the 1911 style & the EMP fits the bill.
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:34 PM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 50090
Maytag Cleaning Method?

Is Maytag a recommended cleaning method for pistols?
dfettero is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » M1911

emp, glock

Search tags for this page
emp
emp 40 vs glock 27
emp 9mm ccw
emp 9mm review forum
emp 9mm vs glock 26
emp vs glock
emp vs glock 26
glock 19 vs springfield emp
glock 26 vs emp
glock 26 vs springfield emp
springfield emp for concealed carry
springfield emp or glock 26
springfield emp or glock 26 gen 4

springfield emp reliability

springfield emp vs glock 26

Click on a term to search for related topics.