• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

opinions please - Colt 1911 "100 years of service"

This is a discussion on opinions please - Colt 1911 "100 years of service" within the M1911 forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; I have committed myself to buy a piece of American history - a new 1911 in 2011. Have been reading, asking opinions at local USPSA ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » M1911 » opinions please - Colt 1911 "100 years of service"

Old 02-26-2011, 02:57 PM   #1
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 39205
opinions please - Colt 1911 "100 years of service"

I have committed myself to buy a piece of American history - a new 1911 in 2011. Have been reading, asking opinions at local USPSA club, researching, and shopping around to look. Had first considered Kimbers, read lots about them on here and elsewhere, went and rented a few, not so impressed. Had decided on a Springfield, been trying to narrow down which one. Had originally thought of micro sizes to be better for carry, but decided I'd go more classic at least 4 inch perhaps 5. Definitely want stainless with wood grips - just like that look, and I already have two black semis.

For the how much question, had originally thought 800-900, leaving some extra money for holster, reload dies and plate, extra mags for match shoots, etc. But my annual bonus was OK, so now thinking up to 1200 or so.

All along I have also looked at Colts. But my reading on this forum and elsewhere sort of scared me away. Many nay sayers on quality. That brings me to my question. Just saw this posted and it is at a store near to me that I have visited and staff always seem good:
Colt Model 01070RG 1911 45 ACP rail gun 100yrs

Price seems right when I googled that model number 01070RG, in fact same gun is at another store nearby for $50 more. I really like the style, and the 100 years roll mark is a nice bonus. I probably don't need the rail, but if it is not going to be my carry guess it does no harm.

what do you folks think? opinions please, thanks in advance
other forums I like: rugerforum.net canadiangunnutz.com
XD9 service and XDs45, a few other brands around here someplace (wink)
CdnInAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-26-2011, 04:14 PM   #2
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
I would have a problem buying a 100th anniversary edition 1911 that wasn't a Colt...it would kinda be like buying a hundredth anniversary edition of the Model T made by Chevy...

Beyond that, I've been told that Colts can be a bit hit or miss, but are mostly hit. And they are supposed to be pretty good about taking care of issues if they do pop up.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:45 PM   #3
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 28402
If you want to buy a piece of american history buy it made in the USA at least SA imports their 1911's I wouldn't take one if it were free....
"The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory." Jeff Cooper

aaron1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:05 PM   #4
XDTalk 3K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron1984 View Post
If you want to buy a piece of american history buy it made in the USA at least SA imports their 1911's I wouldn't take one if it were free....
Quote:
If you want to buy a piece of American history, buy it made in the USA. At least SA imports their 1911s. I would not take one if it were free.
umm. You would not take a free Colt, or you would not take a free Springfield? Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there is a new 1911 that is totally made in USA. Some are assembled here, but none start here. Springfield casting and machining is in Brazil, some final assembly in Illinois. Colt is probably the highest US content. Sad, very sad.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:17 PM   #5
XDTalk Member

Member #: 51415
Buy an 01911ANVIII. It's the anniversary model and is a reproduction of the 1918 black army 1911. I just bought this one: http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...0Model%201911/
smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:26 PM   #6
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 53827
I like the SA 1911's better than Colt for looks, performance wise I would have to say is up in the air... you are paying more for a Colt because of the name IMO.
Clinton1621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:05 PM   #7
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 53433
For the record, I purchased a Colt Commander with the "100 years of service" on the slide. I had several issues with it so let me just list them:

1.While chambering a round the slide would stay stuck too far back as if it over-traveled. It would take a decent amount of force to make it return to normal position. This happened a few times, not all the time.

2.When hitting the slide release after inserting a new magazine, it just felt "clunky" and not nearly as smooth as other Colts and/or 1911s I've shot. This happened all the time.

3.I make a habit when I first get a pistol to load random amounts into the magazine to fight the habit of compensation. I like to be caught off guard and see if I still lunge forward. Well, the slide stuck back and I thought I was done with the mag. Went to hit the mag release button and a full round fell out. The slide stuck back making me think I fired the last round and the empty mag stopped the slide.

Now, all of these issues have lost my faith in this particular pistol as far as using it as my concealed pistol, while simultaneously making me double my faith in my XDM. I never appreciated fully a weapon that "just works" because both my beretta and XDM work all the time. But since this issue with my Colt, I'm so glad I never stopped carrying my XDM.

For the fix:

I called Colt the first business day after the trip to the range that uncovered all these issues. The entire conversation went this way:

Colt Rep: (Thank you for calling Colt and can I help you or something like that)

Me: (Explained the issues just like I typed them above)

Colt Rep:Ok sir well I'm sorry that you're having issues with you Colt Commander. Please allow me to take your information down because I am going to have FedEx email you a shipping label so you can send that pistol back. Please have it unloaded and safe for transport. This will be of no cost to you shipping here, for any repairs, or shipping back to you.

Me:Wow, that's great. What if you can't fix the problem? Like what if it's machined parts that are the issue?

Colt Rep:Replacement parts and/or pistol is another option as well.

So let's just say so far their customer service is spot on because there was zero hesitation when I told her the problems. I'll give an update if you guys would like after this ordeal is done and over.
dekansnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:07 PM   #8
XDTalk 3K Member

thanks for the post dekansnowman. Wow, lots of issues. Sort of backs up what I mentioned in my first post, that my reading on this forum and elsewhere sort of scared me away. Yes, I for one would like a followup report when you know more.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:17 PM   #9
Old Timer

Member #: 42730
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron1984 View Post
I wouldn't take one if it were free....
Hell I would. If I didn't have any sentimental feelings towards it I would clean it, load it, and shoot the crap out of it lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
chameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:43 PM   #10
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 28402
Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnInAz View Post
umm. You would not take a free Colt, or you would not take a free Springfield? Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there is a new 1911 that is totally made in USA. Some are assembled here, but none start here. Springfield casting and machining is in Brazil, some final assembly in Illinois. Colt is probably the highest US content. Sad, very sad.
Kimber is made in the USA says made in Yonkers NY on both of mine

I don't mind imports like Taurus or Rock Island, those are cheaper than the made in the usa guns.

I'm pretty sure S&W + Para make theirs in the USA also and offer them at better prices than SA does.

I'd not take a Free SA (ok I would but I'd sell it to buy something else )
"The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory." Jeff Cooper

aaron1984 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » M1911

Search tags for this page
100 year anniversary colt 45 1911
100 years of service colt 1911
1911 100 years of service sam colt
colt 07810d review
colt 100 years of service 1911 for sale
colt 1911 rail gun 100 years of service for sale
colt 45 100 years of service

colt commander 100 years of service

colt commander 100 years of service model
colt defender 100 years of service
colt defender 100 years of service for sale
colt defender 100 years of service problems
colt government 100 years of service
colt rail gun 1911100 years of service
colts model 80 .45 government model 100 years of service
cost of colt45 100 year service pistol
Click on a term to search for related topics.