• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Your opinion?

This is a discussion on Your opinion? within the M1911 forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; Ok I'm looking to get my first 1911 it will be awhile before that happens but I want to be ready when the time comes. ...

Old 12-27-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 50558
Your opinion?

Ok I'm looking to get my first 1911 it will be awhile before that happens but I want to be ready when the time comes. I want to get something relatively inexpensive so I can afford to do some custumization. I've narrowed it down to two (but suggestions are welcome) the Springfield GI or STI Spartan if you could only have one (which this will probably be my only one) which would be your choice?
Sig P238
Sig P226 Elite Dark 9mm
Remington 870 Tactical
Savage FCP .308

Wish List:
Sig P220 Elite Stainless
Nighthawk Custom T3
KylarStern is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-27-2010, 08:48 PM   #2
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 28164
Can't speak to the Spartan but if you go Springfield you should spring for the extra $50-$75 for the Milspec. The lowered and flared ejection port and upgraded sights are well worth the extra $ and it's a whole lot cheaper than paying someone to do it later.

That all said, be aware that you will spend a while lot more upgrading a pistol than if you buy the upgraded models unless you can do a lot of the work yourself. By the time I was done, my GI ran just under $2k when I could bought a Loaded model for $850, TRP for $1400, or gone Custom Shop. I know that many want the satisfaction of making the gun yours which is fine as long as you know that you will spend more in the end.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:48 PM   #3
Old Timer

Member #: 41775
I got the loaded versions both in 4" & 5" and am very happy with them...Changing grips and that's it...

Last edited by Spydered; 12-29-2010 at 10:50 PM.
Spydered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:28 PM   #4
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 15720
depending on your budget. sti spartan is awesome, S&W with titanium firing pin (very important) is 800.

want to go less expensive an have a nice shooter to upgrade later? citadel 460 or so. shoot it a bit if any metal shavings appear get a smith to tweak it when he installs a fusion firing control group (95 bucks probably 80 to install if you get a utilitarian smith) and your golden with g10 grips. But you can shoot it right out of the box and in truth its not bad. The new remington people are saying is great but I know nothing about it, never shot one.

IMO those are the best 3 options right now for under 1200

Things to know most mags that come with 1911s suck, wilson combat/cmc solve most malfunctions. Grease on the rails is sweetness. (well anything works except CLP it does not belong on a 1911)
yocan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:11 AM   #5
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 36612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Rod View Post
Can't speak to the Spartan but if you go Springfield you should spring for the extra $50-$75 for the Milspec. The lowered and flared ejection port and upgraded sights are well worth the extra $ and it's a whole lot cheaper than paying someone to do it later.

That all said, be aware that you will spend a while lot more upgrading a pistol than if you buy the upgraded models unless you can do a lot of the work yourself. By the time I was done, my GI ran just under $2k when I could bought a Loaded model for $850, TRP for $1400, or gone Custom Shop. I know that many want the satisfaction of making the gun yours which is fine as long as you know that you will spend more in the end.
I'll echo everything above...I did the same with my GI...way more in to it in upgrades than it's worth. But I LEARNED ALOT about it along the way and can do some minor work myself.

But one thing that most people don't quite talk about in relation to Springfields customer service which does seem to be phenomenal, is that you'll probably need it.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:35 AM   #6
XDTalk Member

Member #: 51629
Regardless of which 1911 style you choose I would stick to the SA brand. The customer service factor is a big one and when one looks at the base models that many top gunsmiths choose - SA. The STI pistols are great shooters but most models have unique features that do not share stock parts with other pistols. Kimber has followed this path as well for many of their models. The Spartan is just that but I pick the SA over a Spartan simply due to the SA customer service and the SA is so much more widely available.
devildog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:25 PM   #7
Old Timer

Member #: 42730
You can't go wrong with either but I agree and stepping up to the milspec model if you go SA.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
chameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:42 PM   #8
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 28471
My vote would be for the RIA Match model; around $560 or so. Then what do I know; I have 3 1911's-2 in .45 and 1 in 9mm. Only changes made on any are sights to help my old eyes. Must have really gotten lucky since all three perform flawlessly and if they ain't broke I ain't gonna fix 'em.

XDm .45 5.25 Competition
XD9sc w/ TFO's
XDM 40 DP fiber optics, PRP trigger
STI Spartan 9mm
2-STI Spartan .45;s
S&W M&P 9 Pro
Kahr CW9
2-Browning Buckmarks
S&W 686
ETexPops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:56 PM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 49431
I love all of my Rock Island Armory 1911s!
mattwestm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:17 PM   #10
VR4
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 29154
Between the GI and Spartan. Spartan hands down. I would even put it up against the Mil-spec IMO.
Daniel Defense M4 /Aimpoint M3,FDE Magpul Moe stock,FDE Magpul Moe pistol grip,FSC556,Geissele SSA,MS2 sling
Rainier Arms AR-15

VR4 IDPA/USPSA/Tac-Rifle VIDEO'S

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

RAINIER ARMS SHOOTING TEAM
PNW ARMS SHOOTING TEAM
Rainierarms.com
PNWARMS.com
VR4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » M1911

1911, springfield, sti

Search tags for this page

lc9 brass shavings

sti trojan#gsc.tab

Click on a term to search for related topics.