• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Rock Island .45 1911 Compact

This is a discussion on Rock Island .45 1911 Compact within the M1911 forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; anyone have any thoughts or opinions on these? I am in the market for a 1911, however i have never owened one and i don't ...

Old 12-06-2010, 12:11 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 49286
Rock Island .45 1911 Compact

anyone have any thoughts or opinions on these?

I am in the market for a 1911, however i have never owened one and i don't know if i want to jump in head first or move slower. Other mitigating factor is i live in NJ and getting permits are a bitch and it will be months before i can make another purchase after this one.

Thanks
destinydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-06-2010, 12:38 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 42430
I have a Rock Island GI gov't model that has the 5" barrel. It is a real solid 1911. I put around 600 rounds through it and it is really smooth. I have been considering picking up a compact model, but also really like the looks of the midsize (commander). This isn't a Colt or Kimber or Wilson high end 1911. It's a good basic entry level 1911 that you can really have some fun with. You can't go wrong for the price either.
Rock Island GI 1911 .45acp
Hackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:53 PM   #3
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
The RIA is a great 1911 for the price; I'm quite pleased with my Tactical.

Add in that should you ever have a problem, their customer service goes above and beyond to make you happy.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:54 PM   #4
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 23145
I have a High Standard compact and its fun. I did have an issue with the ambi-safety working loose after a couple of rounds. Called them up, sent it in and they returned it promptly. Very professional work and great customer service. I've ran about 200 round since (~250 total) without an issue: WWB, Blazer and Speer Gold-dots.

Like mentioned before its not a high end compact 1911. But definatley a solid pistol for the price paid!
Old 12-06-2010, 07:04 PM   #5
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 39767
I do not own one but I have handled a few. For such an inexpensive gun I am impressed with the fit. There is no play in the slide or barrel. If I did not know any better I would say they were custom fitted. I hear they make great project guns. STI uses their frames and slides on their Spartans.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:21 PM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 42276
Very pleased with my Mid Size rock. 100% reliable so far with wwb, federal ball, and steel cased tula. Had a warrantee issue (not a failure but was concerned the guiderod might fail one day - it had a flaw in it), Talked to Ivan at advanced tactical, fixed me right up. Seemed to have awesome customer service. Right now I want one of the CS models... and an FS one... and a longslide... decisions, decisions, decisions. I'll probably pick up a CS first if I find one reasonable.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:23 PM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 37884
I was once considering a RIA pistol, and absolutely could not find a bad review of them online. Even if you can manage to find a few, I seriously doubt if you can go wrong with one. Not to mention, stuff from Wilson Combat fits right on them, so you can do a lot of upgrades yourself without worrying about fitting issues. Also, if you do a lot of research on this, you will inevitably come across the debate about MIM parts. For the most part, this is a red herring. Low-end 1911'a are going to have this, and you would have to spend at least a few hundred more to get away from it. Springfield GI models have MIM parts. I would say buy with confidence.
Creeky73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:05 PM   #8
XDTalk Member

Member #: 50067
The Rock Island 1911s are one of the few 1911s that are still made to military spec. They run great right out of the box.

Max
Colt 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:20 PM   #9
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 44190
Just bought a compact tactical Saturday morning and will let you know what I think of how it shoots once I get it to the range tomorrow afternoon. From my initial hands-on of the firearm I'm quite impressed. Not just impressed for the price point, but just flat out impressed. I owned a Colt Series 70 1911 in .45ACP earlier in my life, and it compares quite favorably. If I have to nitpick, the beavertail could be fit a bit better (frame to safety fit under the tang on the right side is a bit open, and the safety is a little sharp) and I think the slide stop could use some tuning to keep from being pushed up too far by the magazine follower, as tested with the factory ACT mag and 4 Wilson Combat 7-rd Officer mags. The finish is even.

The trigger came out of the box with a fair amount of creep, but some hammer boosting (about 3 times) fixed that. The trigger is still fairly heavy on my pistol, so I'll probably do a little tweaking of the sear spring to bring it down just a smidge if it's adjusted too far out of spec. But, since this is a carry pistol I don't mind the trigger being heavy, within reason of course. Has a nice reset on the trigger, and a small amount of takeup before the trigger breaks.

Hope this helps!
Old 12-06-2010, 08:25 PM   #10
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 32926
had one. it was ok. before i got rid of it. i was getting alot of FTF changed mags, ammo, and what not. still doing it....but alot of rounds where fired down range on tat. thing....

good little gun still would of had it if i had the money to send it off.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » M1911

Search tags for this page
best compact 1911 45 acp
best upgrades for rock island 1911 45
high standard compact 1911 upgrades
ria compact 1911 review
rock island .45
rock island .45 compact review
rock island 1911 compact 45 review

rock island 1911 compact review

rock island 1911 compact tactical 45 acp review
rock island 1911 mid-size reviews
rock island armory 1911compact tactical review
rock island armory mid size .45 review
rock island armory midsize 1911 review
rock island compact 1911 reviews
rock island compact cs tactical reviews
rock island compact review
Click on a term to search for related topics.