• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Metro Arms / American Classic vs. Taurus 1911

This is a discussion on Metro Arms / American Classic vs. Taurus 1911 within the M1911 forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; Originally Posted by VinnAY I have a Taurus PT1911AR and I'm completely happy with it. It eats every type of ammo I've put in her ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » M1911 » Metro Arms / American Classic vs. Taurus 1911

Old 03-09-2011, 07:59 AM   #31
Old Timer

Member #: 22547
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnAY View Post
I have a Taurus PT1911AR and I'm completely happy with it. It eats every type of ammo I've put in her and keeps on going, I couldn't be happier to be truthful. ...
Same here. Taurus PT1911 AR in stainless steel. Have had it two+ years; about 2K rounds down range. Never a hiccup since Day One. Shoots damn near as accurate as my Dan Wesson PM7.

"The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions."
- Daniel Webster, statesman and senator (1782-1852)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
"Enlightened statesmen will not always be at the helm."
- James Madison, Federalist No. 10
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
"Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic."
- Unknown

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
NRA Life Member 153120629
jmichna is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-17-2011, 10:59 PM   #32
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 53406
Okay, so I lied. I said I'd wait until I found out if the Metro Arms American Classic IIs metallurgy held up in the long run before I decided to buy one. Should have held my tongue.

Last Monday, I received a fairly large bit of back pay that I wasn't planning on or even anticipating. Yahooo for me. Not being one to waste a good crisis (too much $$$ in my pocket), I dropped by my dealer's place and checked out what he had in stock.. There were several S.A.M. 1911s (imported by A.T.I.) and two American Classic IIs by Metro Arms. Trying to be cool, I checked them out and Dave looked at me and said........ "What the hell, you don't need all that money." Don't know how he knew, must have been that special look all genuine 'mechanics' get when there is a new tool to be had. I bought the American Classic II AND, the ATI FX GI 1911 AND an ATI FX Titan in Stainless. Oh glory day! Bought 300 rounds and added another 300 I had at home. Cleaned the new guns real well and then headed to my favorite range about three miles away and started popping caps. Ever feel like a kid in a candy store?

My range report?? I like the fit on the ATIs a bit better, the ACII has a better finish (except for the Stainless). The function on all three is flawless! 200 rounds down the tube of each and had some shooter friends try them out as well. Everybody had favorable comments about all of the guns. Ammo was FMJ, hollow point (various makes). Range was from 21 feet to 45 feet. Offhand, Weaver, moving and bench rest. Before I was done, I had 7 guys hanging around, three of whom also got to shoot my new toys.

These are some fine weapons. Accuracy was tack driver accurate. Function was outstanding. We'll see how they hold up, but in the mean time I will enjoy every minute of range time.

Now, to compare them to my Kimber?? I didn't feel comfortable with the Kimber until I had at least 500 trouble free rounds down the tube. The Kimber Custom Classic, bought in October 1995 was beautiful and well made. It also cost me $700+. I enjoy the Taurus 1911 for it's quality and reliability. Never a problem. Just don't like the way the ambi safety fits on the right side. My Dan Wesson?? No problems that aren't of my own making.

Perhaps I've been lucky, perhaps they're all a toss up. What ever you do decide, enjoy.

Wheeler
USMC Retired

"For what's more honourable than scarrs, on skin to tatters wrent in warrs?"
Samuel Butler, Hudibras 1658

"Why Saber?? Because you don't take heads with a point"

The whole art of fencing consists of just two things, to hit and not to be hit.
M. Jourdain in Molieres
Le Bourgeois Gentilhomme, 1670
Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:03 PM   #33
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 53406
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichna View Post
Same here. Taurus PT1911 AR in stainless steel. Have had it two+ years; about 2K rounds down range. Never a hiccup since Day One. Shoots damn near as accurate as my Dan Wesson PM7.

Beautiful gun, just beautiful.

Wheeler
USMC Retired

"For what's more honourable than scarrs, on skin to tatters wrent in warrs?"
Samuel Butler, Hudibras 1658

"Why Saber?? Because you don't take heads with a point"

The whole art of fencing consists of just two things, to hit and not to be hit.
M. Jourdain in Molieres
Le Bourgeois Gentilhomme, 1670
Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:46 AM   #34
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 59950
I happen to own a taurus PT1911AR, the only problem I've when I recieved the FA is the rear sight is somewhat leaning towards the right,( not centered with the firing pin).. I just slowly tap it until it was centered. Already fired 1000 rnds with factory and reload ammos, still not having any problem, and is a fairly accurate gun.
gakspu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:40 AM   #35
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 58973
With Taurus, you have to take what is said by some with a grain of salt because there are a lot of haters. I've owned two Taurus 1911s. My first one was the black one and it functioned perfectly. The finish was too thin for my liking, so I traded it for another Taurus in stainless. I've had that one a long time now and have somewhere around 5000 rounds through it without a single problem. It's my truck gun and sees some harsh treatment, but it takes it in stride. Mine is a real workhorse and I've never had to fix or replace anything.

I also recently bought a Metro Arms 1911 and let me tell you, it was a DOG! It had massive failures right out of the box. My first trip to the range and it wouldn't even fire one single round. I sent it back for warranty work the next day. When I got it back, it had a full page worth of things fixed and replaced. The mag that comes with them is junk and the warranty center threw it away and sent me two new aftermarket mags.

You asked about how customizable the Metro was. Here is a picture of mine after I had a gunsmith friend do a complete rebuild and customization to it. Runs like a champ now, but it's been a long process.

Sent by Brown's Custom Grips using Tapatalk!
Olympus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:14 AM   #36
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 20899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhuntr01 View Post
Have you looked into the STI Spartan. It is STI's low end model. I think the frame comes from the Philippines. Other than the plastic trigger they look really nice and the majority of the comments are positive. They come in around $700.
As a Spartan owner I can tell you that it is one sweet pistol for those of us unable to pay $1000 for a really nice 1911. Armscor makes the frames, slides and barrels however thy have been doing it for a very long time and are very good at it. STI internals and you can get it for $600. Budsgunshop.com has them. I strongly recommend a spartan.

STI 5.0 SPARTAN 45ACP 8rd $625.00 SHIPS FREE
Old 06-24-2011, 07:15 PM   #37
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 51086
I owned a 1911 a few years ago and shot several in my early days as a Navy Corpsman before the M9 replaced it. When I started looking for another 1911 a few weeks ago, my budget was in the 700 dollar range. After shopping around a bit, I decided on the SA Loaded model. I went to the shop in which I bought my XDm and the very salesman who sold it to me kind of ignored me by shooting the bull with a non-buyer and otherwise effin' off. I decided to leave the store and as I was walking out he asked if I needed help. I told him that I would come back when he was not so busy. I went back a few days later and the Loaded was gone. All they had was the 1000 dollar ones.

I went down to the Quantico PX and bought a Taurus PT 1911 AR for 603 dollars, no tax. After cleaning off the shipping goo I took it to the range with 100 rounds of FMJ. It ran flawlessly. The next trip I took 150 rounds. It jammed on the 50th. Got it home and found that the extractor had broken. Called Taurus who sent FEDEX the next day. Five days later it was back at my house. The CS experience was excellent and the pistol works just fine.

"Not all men seek rest and peace, some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers of violence and bloodshed, knowing no other path."
-Bad Ass

"To preserve our independence, we must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt...I am for a government rigorously frugal and simple."
-Thomas Jefferson
old navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:24 AM   #38
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 81465
Post MetroArms 1911 .45

I've read a lot of disparraging remarks regarding the MetroArms 1911 Government & Commander Series pistols. I just recently picked up a Government model for an unheard of $300.00 (right place, right time).

I am extremely impressed with the fit, finish and quality of the pistol. No modifications have been made other than adding a set of faux pearl grips to dress it up, strictly cosmetic.

I took the pistol to the range along with several other pistols and revolvers that I shoot and groups were consistently 3-4 inches at 25 and 50 feet which is about normal shooting distances for an indoor range and much greater than actual self defense.

Lots of people complain about accuracy, to these I ask, what is your skill level? Do you pick up a hand gun and head to the range every four or five months? You can buy the most expensive .45 in the world or trick out your own to the tune of a few hundred or a few thousand dollars. However, in the end without a dedicated range regiment it's going to make little or no difference at all.

Wyatt Earp probably said it best; "Speed is fine but accuracy is everything" Not sure he said it but it sounded good.

The point I'm making here is simple, there are dozens of fine imported pistols out there that want break the bank to purchase and are within just about everyone's means. Price does not dictate performance, precision and accuracy lies squarely in the hands of the shooter!

My buck-two-ninety-eight and eleventeen cents.
fltengret6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #39
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 74119
I've seen Remington R1's in stainless for mid 600's at gun shows. I've heard nothing but good things about them, one day it's going to be a project gun for me. I'd consider one of those or a base SA.

Or sell something and buy the TRP, I doubt you will regret it.
Numerous P series Sig's (X5 Allround, MK25, P220 Super Match) and 1911's (Nighthawk Dominator, SA TRP, SW Performance Center 1911, Dan Wesson VBob) SW N frame PC revolvers (627, 629), CZ75, XDs, and a few other guns laying around. Allahglockbar!
Snaphook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:00 PM   #40
XDTalk Member

Member #: 79591
Here's a shot of my ACII. Since getting it, I've added black walnut DD grips, pacmayr front strap grip, wilson stainless 2 piece guide rod, and thick flange radiused match barrel bushing. Easily customized. Has around 700-800 rounds through it, and its smooth like butter. Shoots tight groups as well. No Issues.

More to come............
Furious373 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » M1911

american arms, metro, springfield, taurus

Search tags for this page

american classic 1911 review

american classic 2 1911 review
american classic ii 1911 review

metro arms

metro arms 1911 commander
metro arms 1911 for sale

metro arms 1911 review

metro arms 9mm american classic commander
metro arms vs kimber
metroarms
reviews of metro arms trophy 1911
taurus pt1911 45acp vs metro arms american classic 2 1911
Click on a term to search for related topics.