• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Metro Arms / American Classic vs. Taurus 1911

This is a discussion on Metro Arms / American Classic vs. Taurus 1911 within the M1911 forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; I have not shot a Taurus pt 1911, so i can't offer much feedback on their behalf. I just picked up my American Classic II ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » M1911 » Metro Arms / American Classic vs. Taurus 1911

Old 05-24-2010, 06:05 PM   #21
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 34892
I have not shot a Taurus pt 1911, so i can't offer much feedback on their behalf. I just picked up my American Classic II deluxe out of layaway for tax total $465.35. I ran about 75 rounds through it over the weekend and I had only one failuretofeed and it was caused by a combination of a brand new magazine filled to capacity and cheap rem hollows. With mag at only 7rds no failure at all. It shoots very tight groups and is a tight no play gun. For anyone considering buying a American Classic II, for the money, and I really don't like to say it like that, you can not get a better 1911. I was super impressed by how well it shoots
TAYLORMADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-26-2010, 02:36 PM   #22
XDTalk Member

Member #: 46157
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnAY View Post
I have a Taurus PT1911AR and I'm completely happy with it. It eats every type of ammo I've put in her and keeps on going, I couldn't be happier to be truthful. I think that most of the name-calling with Taurus is based either on uninformed word of mouth or plain snobbishness behavior.

I also been carrying it as CCW weapon over the last month, that's how satisfied I am with it.
+1, I have one that I carry as well, it is as good a 1911 as any made IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myk9noseknows View Post
Save up some more pennies and DO NOT buy the Taurus. it's not a real 1911, you will be disappointed. You won't be able to sell it without losing a ton of money, nobody wants a used Taurus. And worst of all, you will be kicking yourself for not saving up for a higher quality handgun that will give you happiness and make you smile everytime you see or touch it. The Taurus...we'll it'll give you a feeling like having to talk to you b*tch ex-wife who you can't stand, you won't go to the range, and you will not feel confident on it performing in a life or death situation.
With 1911's, you get what you pay for. I'd love an Ed Brown or a Wilson Combat, or Volkman. I can't afford that, but I still buy quality like Springfield and Kimber that makes me smile and makes me happy (and makes my friends jealous instead of laugh at a Taurus joke of a 1911).

Taurus should start stealing and copying other things in life besides handguns like Beretta's, Colts, S&W Airweights, etc. They are only in business because of the copy 92F. They couldn't even come up with their own name, they copied a zodiac monthly symbol name. Maybe Taurus should start manufacturing 747 knock-offs (would you travel in that?), HK AR15 magazines that cost $50 each. Copy MagPul P-MAGS but make them really sh*tty like everything they make (of course, Lancer magazines already did that exact thing to the P-MAGS

Seriously friend, save your money and be happy with your purchase instead of full of regret. Imagine how much longer it would take you to save up for a real good quality 1911 after you wasted your money on a Taurus

^ This is why some people simply stear clear of the 1911.... the fans.
Honestly, this is one of the lamest, most abhorrently asinine posts I have ever read on the internet… yes I am talking about THAT internet.

So what in your mind makes the PT "Not a real 1911"? Further more what does make a real 1911 in your mind? Most would say, “an old Remington Rand” or “A Colt”, but you start rattling off about Kimber? Or Wilson? Or Volkman? Not that those are not fine 1911 clones, but those weapons share little more then what the PT-1911 shares with the 1911s that saw combat across Europe; that being the very basic design of the 1911a1.

I know my PT has parts in it that range from Colt, to Ed Brown, to fusion, and a few others in-between and all had to be gently fitted of course in the same procedure that I have fitted parts to dozens of other 1911 brands. Dimensionally, they are a spec series 80 Colt on everything but the firing pin plunger.

At the range my PT-1911 has been 100% reliable with any and all ammo I have tried down it, and it will feed anything 100% reliably (HP's, Wad cutters, FMJ, Hand loads, empty cases, etc...). I would trust it to shoot, hit, and kill a man if that what it was called to do; it rides my hip. and sits on my nightstand when it is called to do so. So yes, it brings a smile to my face when I pick it up.

Taurus built its reputation on revolvers, not it's 92 clone; although I have shot both the 92fs and the PT-92... and I prefer the PT-92 hands down. The company had a relationship with S&W for a time (when Bangor Punta, who owned a controlling share of Taurus, purchased S&W), and both companies exchanged a good bit of information, and both ended up using many similar build methods afterwards. Taurus is also an ISO 9001 certified company, meaning they are recognized as having excellent manufacturing procedures.

As far as Taurus not coming up with an original name; did you know that Springfield Armory has ABSOLUTLY NOTHING to do with the Springfield Armory that produced guns in WWII? The company that is known as Springfield Armory (whose top 2 hand gun lines [XD/1911] are imported from Croatia/Brazil respectively) bought the rights to the name and markets their guns under it? Nope, no relation whatsoever.

Kimber has volumes of FTF, and busted part horror stories in the realm of 1911’s, even on their own fan boards… especially with the Custom II. Browse a Taurus message board and take a look at their 1911 section, those are happy customers.

Personally, I like my friends jealous of the ass I bring around, or the guns wrapped up in my sleeves; I only ask that a gun is 100% reliable, I could give a rats ass if they are jealous about my weapons.

Looks pretty damn real to me.
Ruger Single Six, Ruger Redhawk, Ruger Old Army, Colt Navy Repro, Custom PT-1911, Custom XD-45 Tac "Desert Special", XD-9 SC, Yugo M-70, Hungarian AMD-65, Ruger Mini-14/20CF, Home Brewed A3 AR 20" Hbar, MAS 49/56, Marlin 1894SS, Marlin 1895CB, Marlin 512, SMLE No.5, SMLE No. 4, Kar 98k, Mosin Nagant, T/C .54 Cal Renegade...
GPWASR10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:13 PM   #23
XDTalk Member

Member #: 44128
I love my PT1911. I will be the first to admit it's not the fanciest 1911 out there, but it's fine for me. Only had a single problem, had to replace the extractor after 900 rounds. Other than that, no FTF or FTEs. Really happy with it. Especially because, with shipping and tax included, only cost me $540. I would happily buy another.
Remington 870 Express (modified)
zenvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:03 PM   #24
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 14867
Love my PT1911, and would buy another in a minute.

I have written many posts here on mine, no need to do it again. Have offered challenges on pistol for pistol against Les Baers and Wilson's and no one has taken me up on it.

Wouldn't it suck to lose a Wilson against a pistol that isn't real?

Yes I am a pirate,
200 Years too late,
The cannons don't thunder, there's nothin to plunder, I'm an over 40 victim of fate,
Arriving too late, Arriving too late...

Jimmy Buffet
Pinedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 03:29 PM   #25
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 11898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myk9noseknows View Post
Save up some more pennies and DO NOT buy the Taurus. it's not a real 1911, you will be disappointed. You won't be able to sell it without losing a ton of money, nobody wants a used Taurus. And worst of all, you will be kicking yourself for not saving up for a higher quality handgun that will give you happiness and make you smile everytime you see or touch it. The Taurus...we'll it'll give you a feeling like having to talk to you b*tch ex-wife who you can't stand, you won't go to the range, and you will not feel confident on it performing in a life or death situation.
With 1911's, you get what you pay for. I'd love an Ed Brown or a Wilson Combat, or Volkman. I can't afford that, but I still buy quality like Springfield and Kimber that makes me smile and makes me happy (and makes my friends jealous instead of laugh at a Taurus joke of a 1911).

Taurus should start stealing and copying other things in life besides handguns like Beretta's, Colts, S&W Airweights, etc. They are only in business because of the copy 92F. They couldn't even come up with their own name, they copied a zodiac monthly symbol name. Maybe Taurus should start manufacturing 747 knock-offs (would you travel in that?), HK AR15 magazines that cost $50 each. Copy MagPul P-MAGS but make them really sh*tty like everything they make (of course, Lancer magazines already did that exact thing to the P-MAGS

Seriously friend, save your money and be happy with your purchase instead of full of regret. Imagine how much longer it would take you to save up for a real good quality 1911 after you wasted your money on a Taurus
Taurus 1911's arent the best out there but they arent as bad as people make them out to be, my first 1911 was a taurus. I have owned 5 others.

What I didnt like about the Taurus is that the beavergrip safty had to be depressed all the way before you could shoot the pistol and it just didnt look "right" for a 1911. I also think that most kimbers dont look "right" either. dont know why.

War Is Sweet To Those Who Have Never Fought

Sig 226 Black Water (500 Rounds and Counting)
Springfield 1911 (TRP) (5000 + Rounds)
Springfield 1911 Micro Compact (700 + Rounds)
STI Trojan 9mm (4000 + Rounds)
S&W 642 J-Frame (300 + Rounds)
S&W 639 J-Frame (700 + Rounds)
XD 45 Service W/ Thumb Safty (5000 + Rounds)
XD 9 Service (1000+ Rounds)
XD 9 Sub Compact (300+ Rounds)
XD 40 Service (3000+ Rounds)
XD 40 Tactical (62 Rounds)
rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:31 PM   #26
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 44950
I just picked up a Metro Arms American Classic Commander to scratch my 1911 itch and really like the feel of it. The fit and finish is better than I expected for a <$450 1911, better than the Rock Islands I have fingered lately and better than some more well known 1911s. All reviews are favorable, too.
fsj80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:16 AM   #27
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 53406
I carried a Kimber Custom Classic (with a VERY low serial number) with two different Sheriff's offices. Loved it, never had a problem. Still carry it if it's jacket weather.

My brother, retired Army SF SgtMaj, just loves to shoot my Kimber, but carries RIA or Metro Arms American Classic II. Go figure. We're both more than adequate marksmen, but we just shoot different issues of the classic .45. We also both own Taurus, CZ97s, and will shoot just about anything that fires the .45 ACP.

If the Metro Arms proves out in the long run with acceptable metallurgy, I'll buy one myself.

Wheeler
USMC Retired

"For what's more honourable than scarrs, on skin to tatters wrent in warrs?"
Samuel Butler, Hudibras 1658

"Why Saber?? Because you don't take heads with a point"

The whole art of fencing consists of just two things, to hit and not to be hit.
M. Jourdain in Molieres
Le Bourgeois Gentilhomme, 1670
Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:07 PM   #28
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 35448
The Metro Arms is a very nice 1911 for the money with a much better finish than the RIA. I will say this, RIA seems to have phenomenal customer service. However, the customer service I've experienced with Eagle Imports (Metro Arms importer) has been fantastic as well.
cguedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:49 AM   #29
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 52200
I have a metro arms 1911 contender in hard chrome, its is known as the American classic II in the USA. I have shot around 4200 rounds already, majority of them range reloads because factory ammo is expensive in the Philippines, twice the price you are paying. I have had 14 FTF due to bad ammo. The finish is still the same, it is still tight. No part needs to be replaced as of yet. I would have shot more rounds, but I recently bought an HS 45 service model and I am breaking in the new gun.
I shot and compared the metro arms 1911 with a colt government model, shoots the same for me. Both have no modifications. I dont believe in buying expensive guns when less expensive guns can do the same thing, its not the gun that counts, its the shooter.
ericmd98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:04 AM   #30
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 4537
I have both.

The Metro Arms is much better. The PT is junk, in my opinion.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » M1911

american arms, metro, springfield, taurus

Search tags for this page

american classic 1911 review

american classic 2 1911 review
american classic ii 1911 hard chrome reviews
american classic ii 1911 review
american classic ii deluxe 1911 chrome
ati 1911 vs taurus pt1911
mac 1911 reviews

metro arms

metro arms 1911 commander
metro arms 1911 for sale

metro arms 1911 review

metro arms american 2 price
metroarms
metroarms firestorm m4 carbine
reviews of metro arms trophy 1911
taurus pt1911 45acp vs metro arms american classic 2 1911
Click on a term to search for related topics.