• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Metro Arms / American Classic vs. Taurus 1911

This is a discussion on Metro Arms / American Classic vs. Taurus 1911 within the M1911 forums, part of the Other Handgun Talk category; Originally Posted by VinnAY name any brand of gun and I guarantee you with a few google strokes I can find an abundance of "my ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » M1911 » Metro Arms / American Classic vs. Taurus 1911

Old 05-21-2010, 04:04 PM   #11
Old Timer

Member #: 6414
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnAY View Post
name any brand of gun and I guarantee you with a few google strokes I can find an abundance of "my XXX gun is broke".
Agreed, but in my experience I have seen more factory fresh Taurus guns choke than a factory fresh glock, beretta, xd, sig, cz, etc etc. I think the only gun that I have seen consistently less reliable is a Kimber 1911.

Is that can of worms big enough?

You can't believe everything you read.
chupacabrachus is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-21-2010, 09:28 PM   #12
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 36612
Quote:
Originally Posted by chupacabrachus View Post
Agreed, but in my experience I have seen more factory fresh Taurus guns choke than a factory fresh glock, beretta, xd, sig, cz, etc etc. I think the only gun that I have seen consistently less reliable is a Kimber 1911.

Is that can of worms big enough?

You can't believe everything you read.
I think you're full of it but to each their own.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:15 PM   #13
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 20695
Of the two, I would buy the Taurus. My roommate's PT1911 have been flawless over 2000+ rounds and daily carry. For a bit more, Kimber has been working hard to turn around the reliability issues now that the CEO that drove them into the ground is gone. My Stainless II has been nothing short of wonderful. A SA Loaded would be my other choice for a well-optioned 1911 production gun.

Personally, I would put the money you have now in a safe and keep adding to the pile until you can get what you really want, instead of a "gotta have it now" gun that you won't be completely happy with. The wait will make it so much better. I am doing that right now for both a Sig P220 and to finish my M4gery. I have two stacks in my pistol safe slowly growing with each paycheck.

Your Neighborhood Friendly Car Salesman
Vandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:32 AM   #14
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 13774
Save up some more pennies and DO NOT buy the Taurus. it's not a real 1911, you will be disappointed. You won't be able to sell it without losing a ton of money, nobody wants a used Taurus. And worst of all, you will be kicking yourself for not saving up for a higher quality handgun that will give you happiness and make you smile everytime you see or touch it. The Taurus...we'll it'll give you a feeling like having to talk to you b*tch ex-wife who you can't stand, you won't go to the range, and you will not feel confident on it performing in a life or death situation.
With 1911's, you get what you pay for. I'd love an Ed Brown or a Wilson Combat, or Volkman. I can't afford that, but I still buy quality like Springfield and Kimber that makes me smile and makes me happy (and makes my friends jealous instead of laugh at a Taurus joke of a 1911).

Taurus should start stealing and copying other things in life besides handguns like Beretta's, Colts, S&W Airweights, etc. They are only in business because of the copy 92F. They couldn't even come up with their own name, they copied a zodiac monthly symbol name. Maybe Taurus should start manufacturing 747 knock-offs (would you travel in that?), HK AR15 magazines that cost $50 each. Copy MagPul P-MAGS but make them really sh*tty like everything they make (of course, Lancer magazines already did that exact thing to the P-MAGS

Seriously friend, save your money and be happy with your purchase instead of full of regret. Imagine how much longer it would take you to save up for a real good quality 1911 after you wasted your money on a Taurus
Myk9noseknows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:38 AM   #15
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 30907
Myk9noseknows - don't hold back, tell me what you REALLY feel about Taurus, I can take it! .

I realize that there are some pretty strong feelings when it comes to Taurus.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:00 PM   #16
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 38039
I looked at an American Classic at a shop a few weeks ago. It seem to be really well put together, tight frame to slide fit. I can't stand the extended slide release, but that's easy enough to fix.

A friend picked up a Rock Island GI model (basic, no frills gun). It's a tank, solid. The "tactical" model is a few bucks more, give you the ambi-thumb safety, better sights, etc. $405 from Sarco - ROCK ISLAND Tactical M911A1 .45 Pistol

Service from Armscor is top notch, gunsmith is a master. Reports on the other 1911 forums are of few problems (if any) after break-in.

No experience with the Taurus. Beware, there are few drop-in parts for a 1911. Almost everything will require a 'smith to fit.

My next 1911 will either be an American Classic Commander or Rock Island (Armscor) mid-size or compact.
Ruger 10/22
M1 Carbine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
lagunamiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:05 PM   #17
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 38039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spammy_H View Post
Also, how "customizable/upgradeable" are the Metro's? Do they do anything proprietary in their design, that would not allow me to upgrade it later? I'm thinking specifically about the sight channels, but any other comments are welcome.

I'd end up putting an ambi safety on it, and might switch out the mainspring housing for one with checkering or grooves. I'd like to checker the front strap, but would probably end up just putting some skateboard tape on it for now.
Everything I've seen is that the American Classic is a traditional 1911, nothing weird. Sight "channels" (dovetails) are going to be Novak cut or something else. Even old GI sights can be upgraded / replaced.

I seem to remember somewhere that the Taurus guns were a little unique, but I don't know where I saw that. Something about the dimensions were different. Someone that knows for sure may chime in...

If you go with the American Classic Deluxe (the one I looked at) it has the ambi-thumb safety already on it. RI's tactical line does as well.

You can always try Wilson's cheesy front strop drop-in thing. It's ok... I had one, returned it a few days later.
Ruger 10/22
M1 Carbine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
lagunamiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:38 PM   #18
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 45348
Have you looked into the STI Spartan. It is STI's low end model. I think the frame comes from the Philippines. Other than the plastic trigger they look really nice and the majority of the comments are positive. They come in around $700.
Bowhuntr01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:37 PM   #19
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 45348
STI Spartan slides and barrels are also made in the Philippines I believe. I think by the same place that makes them for Rock Island. The Spartan has all STI parts internally.
Bowhuntr01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:46 PM   #20
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 30907
I looked at the RIA Tactical, but didn't like the blued controls on nickel.

I'm leaning toward the Metro American Classic II in chrome, with the ambi safety.

All - thanks for the info on this. It's good to hear that this is a good quality gun.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Other Handgun Talk » M1911

american arms, metro, springfield, taurus

Search tags for this page

american classic 1911 review

american classic 2 1911 review
american classic ii 1911 review

metro arms

metro arms 1911 commander
metro arms 1911 for sale

metro arms 1911 review

metro arms vs kimber
metroarms
pt1911 vs american classic ii
reviews of metro arms trophy 1911
taurus pt1911 45acp vs metro arms american classic 2 1911
Click on a term to search for related topics.