• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

How do I find out what happened in my neighborhood?

This is a discussion on How do I find out what happened in my neighborhood? within the LEO Talk forums, part of the Protect & Serve category; Hi all, I'm not too familiar with the legalities of police reports, etc. (I'm in healthcare, so I'm hoping that they aren't as protected as ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Protect & Serve » LEO Talk » How do I find out what happened in my neighborhood?

Old 07-09-2005, 12:13 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 5135
How do I find out what happened in my neighborhood?

Hi all,

I'm not too familiar with the legalities of police reports, etc. (I'm in healthcare, so I'm hoping that they aren't as protected as HIPPA would allow them to be.) -

So last night, about 0200, I'm laying in bed watching TV. There's some not-so-nice apartments about 1 block up from my house, but the rest of the neighborhood is fairly normal. (I'm a few miles out of the downtown area of the Twin Cities, MN.) I can hear people outside, arguing and whatnot, which seems to be a common act on the weekends with these individuals.

Then, I hear, "It ain't calm no more n*****, it ain't f***** calm no more"

Bang. Bang bang. Bang.

"F*** you"

At this point, I'm out of bed and on the floor, as this is probably 20 yards from my driveway. I listen for a while, and now there's probably 6-8 more people outside. Everyone is yelling at each other. Within a minute, cops (2 squads) are already here - I wasn't about to cross the windows and reach for the cell phone - so luckily someone else had called. More yelling, cops yelling for people to get back to their corners, and for the next half-hour or so things are being slowly sorted out. They leave twice, then come back, then start combing the streets by flashlight looking for something(s). The two officers don't seem to be concerned with the 6 people yelling at each other, and they continue to look around the ground for stuff. It was apparent that no one was injured, as no EMS ever appeared. Of note - this is definately not 'normal' for my neighborhood...yelling, yes. Gunshots, no...if they were, I'd have called my realtor months ago.

So, the question is - are police reports considered restricted information, or would the local department be able to tell me what happened? Their website does run a blotter, but it's always a few months behind. I didn't see any of the (normal) neighbor's cars around, so I think I was one of the only people in the neighborhood that wasn't involved in this incident...I'm not about to wander up the street and ask these folks what they were arguing about.

On a side note, I did learn a few things. 1.) Cell phone needs to be closer to the bed, and 2.) I learned what side of the bed I bail out on when I hear gunshots outside...note to self: Don't set the laptop down there anymore...it hurts
mnmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-09-2005, 12:22 PM   #2
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 3132
Quote:
So, the question is - are police reports considered restricted information, or would the local department be able to tell me what happened?
Call your local police department and ask.
one-eyed-fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 12:36 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 1041
Seeing that the press has access to them for the cops 'n corpes reports, I believe they're public record.
Vampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 02:02 PM   #4
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 5135
We'll see what the police department has to say about it.

I talked with the neighbors this morning, here is her side of the story:

Her 18yo son came home, drunk, and she kicked him out of the house. He then returned with a cousin, and they were rummaging around in the back yard. She didn't know who it was, and thought they were burglars. So...she exited the front of the house, ran across the street to the other neighbors place. This neighbor let her in, heard the story, and called her grandson who lives up the road. He's 20, and has been jailed 5 times.

He comes down, walks to the potential burglar's house, and proceeds to have words with the 18yo drunk kid and cousin. They get into more and more heated words, and then the 20yo proceeds to shoot at the two drunk guys 4 times, striking no one. At this point the mom of the 18yo, along with the other neighbor, call the cops. The drunk is in detox, and the shooter is 'missing'.

Supposedly the 18yo will be kicked out of the house upon his return from detox...we'll see how that goes.
mnmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 05:34 PM   #5
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 6146
Wow, gunshots. Not any fun to hear, unless at the range. When I lived in Oakdale, I heard more arguing and saw more stupid **** then when I lived in St. Paul. Glad to hear everyone is ok...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Protect & Serve » LEO Talk

Search tags for this page
find out why police were in neighborhood
hiw do you find out why police were in your neighborhood
how can i find out why police were at my neighbors house last night
how to figure out why a cop came to your house
how to find out what happenens in your neighborhood
how to find out why cops were in your neighborhood
how to find out why the cops are outside
there are police on my street, how do i find out what is going on?

what happened in my neighborhood

why are the police at my neighbors
why ate police cars in my neighborhood

why were the police in my neighborhood

Click on a term to search for related topics.