• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Question on shooting stray dogs - TX

This is a discussion on Question on shooting stray dogs - TX within the LEO Talk forums, part of the Protect & Serve category; Gee officer, I was out hunting protected game that I have cultivated in a game management plan... etc... and here come these dogs, providing an ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Protect & Serve » LEO Talk » Question on shooting stray dogs - TX

Old 11-15-2004, 04:10 PM   #11
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 3929
Gee officer, I was out hunting protected game that I have cultivated in a game management plan... etc... and here come these dogs, providing an iminent danger to my protected game....
Remove Ads
Old 11-15-2004, 09:11 PM   #12
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 3132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmercat
Again...it varies from county to county, but I have a friend that used to own land out in far west Texas and he shot a couple of stray sheep that wandered on his land, not knowing the law. A week later, he got a visit from the sheriff, asking about the sheep. He admitted he shot the animals and the sheriff explained to him that this particular county had an "open range" law, that dated back to the 1800s and that he was required by law, to allow animals to graze on his land and he could not stop them(!?).

Long story short, my friend was charged with a misdemeanor criminal mischief (since he let the animals to rot) and had to pay restitution to the owner of the sheep. Ignorance of this 100+ year old law was no excuse...he was busted.

This is the ONLY thing keeping me from shooting these dogs right now. I want to find out the REAL deal on the law, concearning stray dogs in this county, before laying them to rest.

- Bimmercat
Your friend did a dimwit. Shooting an animal and letting the meat go to waste. He deserved what he got. As for Bimmercat get your stuff together, ask the local law enforcement people and abide by the law. It's that simple.
one-eyed-fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 09:38 PM   #13
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 4416
Why wouldn't you talk to the dog owners first?
Old 11-15-2004, 10:06 PM   #14
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 3132
Son of Norway, Cause some people just don't care, which is obvious in this case. Idiot's should not be allowed to own animals. But they do.
one-eyed-fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 10:10 PM   #15
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 4545
The short answer, NO don't shoot the dogs. It could start a very unpleasant relationship with your neighbors - like maybe they shoot 10 head of your cattle one night or something. Just try to talk to them. It is not the dogs fault; they are just being dogs. Live stock and someones pet are very different things.
10mm - GLOCK 20
12 gauge - Mossberg 500 Persuader (heat shield/pistol grip)
packingasubcompact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 02:23 AM   #16
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 3261
No offense to anyone here he probaly already knows his nieghbors has a screwed up personality by the fact that he wants to shoot the dogs.

All I will add to this is that you need to contact the local sherrif and tell him you have a problem with wild dogs running your property from your nieghbors house and that you want something done about it. State that they are getting into your trash cans etc and messing with your dogs. I have seen stuff like this on animal planet all the time and what will probly happen next is that they will send someone out to talk to your neighbor and see how many dogs that he has and posiblly if your nieghbor cannot produce paperwork showing he is getting the dogs checked out and that they have thier shots they will require him to do so and if not then they will catching the dogs. Or at least that is how it goes down on TV. It might take a few weeks but eventualy they should give you a solution. Even if they set the traps up on your property.

Also dont forget to ask if you can shoot the dogs if they are threatening your dogs on your property !
Old 11-16-2004, 09:22 AM   #17
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 3117
Our neighbors have no idea we are angry about the dogs. This place is a weekend place for all of us, but my parents will be retiring in a year or so and moving out there permanently. We are on friendly terms with all of the people around us, but I think that they think its "normal" to have a shitload of dogs out there in the country and they all don't give a damn where they go or what they do.

Some of these dogs that appear on our land belong to neighbors and some...well...we cannot seem to figure out WHO they belong to. None of the dogs (neighbors or the "strays") have collars and judging by the looks of them...I would bet my last dolalr they have not had shots. Most of the dogs are not very aggressive, but many are curious and get into things, like the garage and barns and they all run everywhere.

One of the ranhcers down the road, who raises registered angus cattle, was shooting a 22 pistol at the dogs as they ran across his land last Saturday. I actually SAW him doing this...but I don't think he saw me. He keeps his land up and has expensive cattle and is a good neighbor. He has expressed frustration about stray dogs to us in conversations in the past...so we have a local "ally" in this war.

I would hardly call any of the owners of these dogs "responsible, caring dog owners" I am sure they like their dogs, but hey, we bought this place as a retirement place for my aprents and as a family deer-hunting land and these dogs are creating a real problem. Land out here is not exactly cheap and Dad is furious that these dogs are allowed to run rough-shot over our place.

Sorry, but if you care this little about your pets and what they're doing to others and where they go...you deserve to have them done away with. Irresponsibility should not be rewarded with free reign to run all over private property.

I guess we need to have the sheriff out and discuss this with him, although I am sure he has heard this a zillion times and alot of folks out there don't like the "weekend" landowners to begin with. I am afraid that if we drag the law into this, our nieghbors will start to dislike us and since we are not there alot during the week, they could make things "difficult" for us...if you know what I mean.

I cannot believe that it is legal for the damn dogs to just run all over our land and we cannot do **** about it. Somehow, I doubt this is true. Texas usually has more common sense laws about things like that. These are not stray cattle or horses or sheep or somebody's cute furry pets...these are mangy, scroungy old dogs. (so don't everyone get all "PETA" on me for wanting to cap them...ok?)

- Bimmercat

Happiness is a flat torque curve!
Bimmercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 09:23 AM   #18
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 3117
Our neighbors have no idea we are angry about the dogs. This place is a weekend place for all of us, but my parents will be retiring in a year or so and moving out there permanently. We are on friendly terms with all of the people around us, but I think that they think its "normal" to have a shitload of dogs out there in the country and they all don't give a damn where they go or what they do.

Some of these dogs that appear on our land belong to neighbors and some...well...we cannot seem to figure out WHO they belong to. None of the dogs (neighbors or the "strays") have collars and judging by the looks of them...I would bet my last dolalr they have not had shots. Most of the dogs are not very aggressive, but many are curious and get into things, like the garage and barns and they all run everywhere.

One of the ranhcers down the road, who raises registered angus cattle, was shooting a 22 pistol at the dogs as they ran across his land last Saturday. I actually SAW him doing this...but I don't think he saw me. He keeps his land up and has expensive cattle and is a good neighbor. He has expressed frustration about stray dogs to us in conversations in the past...so we have a local "ally" in this war.

I would hardly call any of the owners of these dogs "responsible, caring dog owners" I am sure they like their dogs, but hey, we bought this place as a retirement place for my aprents and as a family deer-hunting land and these dogs are creating a real problem. Land out here is not exactly cheap and Dad is furious that these dogs are allowed to run rough-shot over our place.

Sorry, but if you care this little about your pets and what they're doing to others and where they go...you deserve to have them done away with. Irresponsibility should not be rewarded with free reign to run all over private property.

I guess we need to have the sheriff out and discuss this with him, although I am sure he has heard this a zillion times and alot of folks out there don't like the "weekend" landowners to begin with. I am afraid that if we drag the law into this, our nieghbors will start to dislike us and since we are not there alot during the week, they could make things "difficult" for us...if you know what I mean.

I cannot believe that it is legal for the damn dogs to just run all over our land and we cannot do **** about it. Somehow, I doubt this is true. Texas usually has more common sense laws about things like that. These are not stray cattle or horses or sheep or somebody's cute furry pets...these are mangy, scroungy old dogs. (so don't everyone get all "PETA" on me for wanting to cap them...ok?)

- Bimmercat

Happiness is a flat torque curve!
Bimmercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 12:48 PM   #19
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 3619
I think what you have to do is try and get the local law enforcement to charge him (or at least warn him) for negligence. I sympathize with your desire just to get rid of them, but you said you wanted to be legal about it.
dolanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 04:03 PM   #20
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 3421
Check out the laws for your area, if you are allowed to, shoot the damn things. If not have a talk with the owner about their irresponsibilty.

If the problem continues, trap and relocate the dogs.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Protect & Serve » LEO Talk

Search tags for this page
can we kill stray dogs on our property

can you kill strays in texas

dogs chasing cattle in texas
illegal dog killing baby deer in texas

is it against the law to shoot a dog chasing livestock in texas

is it illegal to shoot a dog in your yard in texas

is it illegal to shoot a wild dog if it is chasing you with a bebe gun

is it illegal to shoot your own dog in texas

is it illegal to shoot your own dog in tx outside city limits
is it legal to shoot a stray dog attacking livestock
law in texas for shooting stray dogs
law.on killing stray dog in yard

shooting a dog on your propertty in texas

shooting stray dogs in yard
what can you do in texas if not in city limits about stray dogs on your property?
who do you talk to to open a private shooting range on private property in texas
Click on a term to search for related topics.