• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Backup gun.

This is a discussion on Backup gun. within the LEO Talk forums, part of the Protect & Serve category; First off, glad to find this thread, I've been running around the XD-S thread for a solid month and didn't realize there was a LEO ...

Old 10-03-2012, 11:35 PM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 78848
Backup gun.

First off, glad to find this thread, I've been running around the XD-S thread for a solid month and didn't realize there was a LEO page! A little background here... I'm a rookie LEO out of Nebraska, been in law enforcement two years, Deputy and Police Officer (don't ask) haha.

I posed this question on the XD-S thread, but only got one, (albeit good) response.I have constantly battled with a good way to carry a back-up on duty. I chose the XD-S to carry, but am lamenting over how to carry it.

I thought a belly-band may be the way to go because I want to be damn sure the thing stays put when I go hands on, and since we don't carry TASER's that's pretty often. I've never even looked at or seen any belly-bands in person, thoughts from guys that use these would be appreciated.

Another contributor on the XD-S thread mentioned keeping it in a cargo pant pocket, which would be great if we had that option, but I wear slick side pants, no cargo pockets.

IWB; don't think I can pull this off, there's enough on my belt as it is.

Finally, ankle carry, I just don't think it's practicle. SHTF and you need to drop to your ankle? I don't see that working well.

Thoughts?
nine387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-04-2012, 02:51 AM   #2
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 14312
Howdy Nine. Back again.

I know a couple of guys who use a generic Uncle Mikes holster that wear the gun attached the their vest under their support side shoulder. To access in a pinch, reach in through your shirt (ripping the buttons off as necessary) and draw with the stong side hand. I've never really understood how that works as my vest is uncomfortable enough as it is, but it would be another option to consider if allowed by your department. You might need to have the uniform tailor add a little slack to that side of the shirt to accommodate the holster though, depending on how it fits.

I qual with my XDS the last thursday of the month at training. I'll see if I can whip up that pocket rig some time between now and then and post pics. Time to order some kydex...

Sig Sauer Traditional TacOps 1911
S&W M&P45
Springfield XD-S 45
Several AR-15s
More knives than I can count
The Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
XDTalk Member

Haha thanks man! Looks like you're the only one interested again lol. I like the idea of the "cross-draw" under the shirt, I think that's what I like about the belly-bands too.

Can't wait to see the pics, I'll be waiting for them!
Old 10-07-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 23926
I also don't understand the vest thing. I ankle carry for a BUG. That's the only way I can find it feasible!

- Ronald Reagan
drs1321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:10 PM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 79728
How about crotch carry? Under shirt, over vest shoulder holster? I hope you find something. It would have saved my brothers life if he had a backup.
harley1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #6
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 23108
Back when I was in unifrom I carried a 3" 1911 (Colt Defender) on my ankle to backup my 5" Kimber 1911(Tactical Custom II). Worked great!

Douglas MacArthur
KenW. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:12 PM   #7
XDTalk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley1960 View Post
How about crotch carry? Under shirt, over vest shoulder holster? I hope you find something. It would have saved my brothers life if he had a backup.
Sincere apologies for your loss. I hope to give mysef an advantage any way I can, and two is one, one is none seems like the best addage to apply to my primary source of protection (aside from my vest).

I think something under my shirt and over my vest will be the best option for me. I have zippered pockets on my shirt so that would keep it fairly secure and easily accessed.

I'm also going to entertain CPES' suggestion once he gets some pics up I've finally talked my chief into blauer's with a single cargo pocket on each thigh.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:53 PM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 31045
S&W 342 PD (.3 in a cheap Uncle Mikes strapped cross draw to my vest. I had the top three buttons on my vest perm sewed on and Velcro backed.

If I'm fighting for my life and trying to retain tension with strong hand on my duty gun, I can reach in weak hand and blow 5 holes of .38 +P+ into the turd without jamming. I may get powder burns, but will live. Or just draw weak handed and repeat above.

For fighting on back on ground, small knife strapped to outside of boot on weak side.
paragrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:47 PM   #9
XDTalk Member

Member #: 76924
I used to carry a Glock 32 or 33 on my body armor under my shirt situated for off-hand draw (as I am hoping my strong hand is still holding my duty gun in my holster from the guy trying to take it). I got tired of doing that, so I am currently pocket carrying the 33. (issued weapon is the 31). It is a little heavy and I plan on replacing the 33 with a S&W Shield for pocket carry.

The 33 currently resides in a Desantis Nemesis holster in the left pocket (I am right handed) while on duty and in my right pocket when off duty.
Chowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 9993
Chowser, when you say left and right pocket, do you mean upper front pants pocket? Mine are completely useless with my duty belt on. Another option for carry would be the Kangaroo Holster. It's basically a belly band worn across the nipple line with a strap that goes over the shoulder to keep it from falling down. He makes all sorts of options, even a standard holster with an extension so you can wear it over the vest or off duty with no vest. They can be had with extra pockets to hold a mag or extra cuffs or money. He even used to make a vest style that would hold a radio and all sorts of gear under a shirt for under cover work.

XD9 SC Black Polished Barrel hood and Muzzle
XD45 Tactical -Black (New Duty Gun) TFOs
XD45 Compact - Tactical in FDE (SOLD)
djturnz is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Protect & Serve » LEO Talk

Search tags for this page
back up gun forum

backup gun

backup gun for police

backup gun forums

backup gun forums firearms
backup gun pic thread
backup gun xd talk

best backup gun for police

best backup gun policebest
best backup guns for law enforcement
best police officer back up gun

find the backup gun

leo backup gun

leo backup weapon
owb pda
xds 9mm as police backup gun in cargo pocket
Click on a term to search for related topics.