• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Best deer rifle for the money?

This is a discussion on Best deer rifle for the money? within the Hunting forums, part of the Use and Training category; I am ready to purchase my first deer rifle and would like to get some suggestions on a good rifle that is inexpensive. I'll work ...

Old 11-28-2010, 11:57 PM   #1
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 18627
Best deer rifle for the money?

I am ready to purchase my first deer rifle and would like to get some suggestions on a good rifle that is inexpensive. I'll work my way up to a nicer rifle if I really get into this, but for now, I just want something that works. I don't have any caliber preferences, although I guess it would be beneficial to know that I'll be hunting in the southeastern US, mainly NC. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
JhankG is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-29-2010, 12:02 AM   #2
XDTalk Member

Member #: 31014
You really can't go wrong with a Remington 700. It was the first deer rifle I ever purchased, and still my go to come deer season. I am personally a fan of .270 win, but everybody is different.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:05 AM   #3
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 44924
We just spent a couple days hog hunting in a heavily wooded area with an AK-47, a .357 mag lever action rifle, and .41 mag lever action rifle. All 3 were plenty powerful and accurate enough for taking hogs, so they should do fine on deer. All are plenty cheap too.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:10 AM   #4
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 18627
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKINrafterM View Post
You really can't go wrong with a Remington 700. It was the first deer rifle I ever purchased, and still my go to come deer season. I am personally a fan of .270 win, but everybody is different.
Did I read something recently about the Remington 700 having an issue of going off without pulling the trigger?
JhankG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:14 AM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 24195
+1000 for the remington 700

one of the best bolt guns ever produced, reasonably priced, available in virutally every caliber chambered in a centerfire, and infanately customizeable.

i'm sure if budget was a concern they can be had at most any used marketplace - pawnshops, etc for under $500

For all of our sakes and the sake of our great nation please, Mr. President Obama, here's your chance. Prove me wrong.
plant.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:28 AM   #6
XDTalk Member

Member #: 31014
Quote:
Originally Posted by JhankG View Post
Did I read something recently about the Remington 700 having an issue of going off without pulling the trigger?
I hadn't heard...time to fire up the magic google machine.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:43 AM   #7
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 37533
As for an Entry rifle, I would look at the Savage Rifles. I think most come with scopes.
You can pick one up fairly inexpensive.

As for caliber, I wouldn't get anything less than a .270. I'd look at either a .270 or a 30.06. Those would be my choice in calibers.

Stay Safe.

You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.

Guns have only two enemies; rust and politicians.
Old Hick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:47 AM   #8
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 46422
Savage 110. They consistently receive "best value" ratings from various publications. Mine took two deer in the last three weeks. I'd go ahead and get a .30-06. That way you can use the rifle on virtually any big game in North America should you decide to do so.
Mudinyeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:32 AM   #9
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 26578
It's hard to beat the venerable old 30-30, particularly for hunting the woods of the southeast where, unless you are set up over a huge beanfield or power line, the shots are reasonably short.

I see new Marlin 336s for sale around here for $250. Stick a decent 4x scope on it and you've got a great hunting rifle for less than $500.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:49 AM   #10
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 48040
I use a Sporterized Springer 1903A2
AllStrobedUp is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » Hunting

Search tags for this page
best 243 for the money
best budget deer rifle

best cheap deer rifle

best deer hunting rifle for the money

best deer rifle for the money

best deer rifle money

best hunting rifle for the money

best hunting rifles for the money

best rifle for the money

best rifle for your money
budget deer rifles
cheap hunting rifle for deer
economic deer rifle
the best hunting rifle for the money
what is a good cheap rifle for deer hunting
what is the best big game rifle for its money
Click on a term to search for related topics.