• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Hunting with WWII K98 Mauser

This is a discussion on Hunting with WWII K98 Mauser within the Hunting forums, part of the Use and Training category; Hey guys, I tried to find anything related but couldnt. Q #1: Has anybody ever hunted deer or boar or anything with old WWII military ...

Old 06-23-2010, 01:28 PM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 45937
Hunting with WWII K98 Mauser

Hey guys, I tried to find anything related but couldnt.

Q #1: Has anybody ever hunted deer or boar or anything with old WWII military rifles? Specifically, I have an 8mm K98 manufactured in Germany.

Q #2: And has anybody done this with just iron sights? I'm thinking that would be fun and a bit more of a challenge. Thanks guys!
Remove Ads
Old 06-23-2010, 02:33 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 45348
I had an uncle that used a WW II surplus 8mm Mauser for many years and to great effect on deer and hogs. I can't remember him ever having anything but iron sights on it. Iron sights, with practice, are just fine for "minute of deer" accuracy out to 100-150 yards depending on the skill of the shooter. Some are capable of even longer shots. Ammo availability might be a problem, but I think Winchester and Remington still load a suitable hunting bullet in 8mm. Good luck with it!
Bowhuntr01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:09 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 38513
Years ago I remember my dad on and off carried an old 8mm Mauser with only irons deer hunting. I watched him drop a nice 160's class buck one day running at about 75 yds. Ammo seemed a little high but readily produced by major manufacturers.
mikeybigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:07 AM   #4
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 23853
I have hunted with a Mosin Nagant M38 the past two deer seasons and have taken deer at approx. 100 and 140 yards but I used a scout style mounted 4x scope. That's about as far out as I want to shoot a deer with it. I shot pretty poorly with the original irons. That being said, I've been considering picking up a Mauser sometime and really working on my shooting skills with the iron sights if my old eyes can adapt. I think it's a lot of fun to hunt with these old rifles.

My brother in law has an 8mm Mauser with a hand made sporting stock that his father made and gave to him as his first hunting rifle. My son used it for a couple of hunting seasons till he got his own rifle.
cypress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:08 AM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 48168

I hunt with a 30:06 Mauser 1909 Argentino. Basically a "civilian" version of the 98k. Used on deer, and late this year going to take it on a bear hunt. Last time I took it out got a doe at about 150yr. Hit it a little more left that I would have liked but in the cage and didn't track for long. I've hit one at the base of the skull before too, nearly takes the head off. Irons only, I refuse to use optics
Viddi212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:44 PM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 42604
I've taken 2 deer with my Czech Mauser (whitetail and axis) I have friends that have hunted with Turk Mausers for years with good success. All are with iron sights

From what I've read in the Speer manual the factory hunting ammo for them is loaded weak to accomodate the pre-98 models and isn't much better than a 30-30. Its supposed to be equal to a .308 when loaded to higher pressures.

I just wish the rifles were as cheap as they were 10 years ago.
MARSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » Hunting

Search tags for this page

hunting with a k98

hunting with k98
hunting with the mauser
is the k98 a good gun

k98 hunting

k98 mauser
k98 mauser for deer hunting
k98 mauser for hunting
k98 mauser hunting

kar98k for hunting

mauser 98k for hunting
mauser 98k hog hunting
mauser for hunting
mauser k98 hunting
using a german mauser for deer hunting
Click on a term to search for related topics.