• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Lee Powder Measure

This is a discussion on Lee Powder Measure within the Hand Loaded Ammunition forums, part of the The Ammo Can category; Hello all, right now have a lee auto disk on my lee 4 hole turret press and all is well, however I would like more ...

Old 09-15-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 95235
Lee Powder Measure

Hello all, right now have a lee auto disk on my lee 4 hole turret press and all is well, however I would like more control and the ability to tune my charge a bit more so I was looking for opinions and experiences with the Lee double disk kit or the Lee charge bar, or any other ideas for that matter.
Josh15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-15-2013, 06:27 PM   #2
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 30502
I have the Pro Auto Disk on my Classic Turret, but I don't know if that's a great improvement over the standard Auto Disk. The Double Disk kit should help in getting more accurate charges, but I find that LEE's ratings for the various disks are off a good bit, so chargeweight should be determined by your scale vs. any of their various disks. One option that would give you better precision would be to buy another manufacturers powder measure and powder through expander die. You'll loose some convenience, but the added accuracy may justify that for you depending on what you're loading. There are few better than the RCBS Uniflow in its price range, but there are other viable options. I mention the Uniflow because I've been using the same one I bought in 1991 and it's as accurate as the day I started using it. One thing to be aware of though, RCBS no longer provides both powder drums for large and small powder charging like they did in the past, so you may end up having to buy an additional drum. Great product, but not so great in marketing strategy.

The truth about OSS data and wound ballistics:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Get the complete picture here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
57K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:37 PM   #3
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 67521
What are you loading (caliber, powder, amt)?

Double disk is good for rifle perhaps but useless for most pistol. The opposite can be saide of the charge bar.
And what powder you're using can affect which choice.

I took a reg disk and went a size over what I was after, drilled and tapped it and put a stove bolt in it for adjusting the powder. Worked pretty well. (9mm, 231 and 38 bullseye)
Reload 9mm, 38spcl, 357 and 30-06
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 95235
Right now just 9mm, I've been running 6.5 g of hs6 into my xdm 9mm and have loved the results, I haven't chronographed it yet but it hits right about where I want, just want to tune a bit more. Also I plan to load 5.56, .45, .40 and .380 as soon as I get the dies, so I need something that can grow with my needs
Josh15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:58 AM   #5
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 6152
I was never a fan of the Lee powder measures. Like 57K said, there are better alternatives, any of which would be more suitable to small pistol cases.

Strangely, a lot of folks who do not believe in evolutionary Darwinism seem to believe in social Darwinism... go figure!
JustSomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:55 AM   #6
XDTalk 1K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy View Post
I was never a fan of the Lee powder measures. Like 57K said, there are better alternatives, any of which would be more suitable to small pistol cases.
Having moved to dillon I can say I like a few things about each, and dislike things about each. But overall they are similar and both could be improved.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:57 AM   #7
XDTalk 1K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh15 View Post
Right now just 9mm, I've been running 6.5 g of hs6 into my xdm 9mm and have loved the results, I haven't chronographed it yet but it hits right about where I want, just want to tune a bit more. Also I plan to load 5.56, .45, .40 and .380 as soon as I get the dies, so I need something that can grow with my needs
for 380 you'll likely want the adj measure.
I never loaded extruded on my press but it's a hard powder to load. not an issue for pistol but for rifle you run into it more often.

the lee reloading book lists the disk size with each caliber/powder/bullet and thats worth the price of the book.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:12 PM   #8
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 70174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh15 View Post
For most pistol rounds the adjustable charge bar should serve your stated needs very nicely.

I use the adjustable charge bar for loading 9mm and 45 ACP. I like being able to make changes to the charge weights without having to disassemble the powder measure. Once set to my desired weight, which I verify with a scale, it drops consistent charges.
Blacksamwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Armory Talk » The Ammo Can » Hand Loaded Ammunition

Search tags for this page

5.56 lee charge bar

lee double disk kit vs adjustable charge bar

should i have 2 powder measures for 9mm 45acp

Click on a term to search for related topics.