• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Choke for 3-gun

This is a discussion on Choke for 3-gun within the Gun Games: Shooting Competition forums, part of the Use and Training category; I'm shooting in my first 3-gun match tomorrow and I'll be using my 870. My 870 has always been my trap/bird gun and I always ...

Old 06-28-2008, 06:32 PM   #1
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 10456
Choke for 3-gun

I'm shooting in my first 3-gun match tomorrow and I'll be using my 870. My 870 has always been my trap/bird gun and I always use a full choke. But since I'll be shooting slugs, will a full choke still work? Is there going to be interference of any kind. I have other chokes. Suggestions?
Remove Ads
Old 06-28-2008, 06:43 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 26333
i dont shoot competitions, but i do shoot alot of shotguns. normally most guns shoot slugs best with a modified or improved cylinder. i would definately suggest you replace the full with something a little more open. usually there is no damage from shooting slugs through a full choke, but why take the chance.
ducks_n_bucks01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:01 PM   #3
mcb
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 5280
For the shot stages I usually use Modified or Improved Modified. For slugs stages I use a skeet choke. Slugs usually shoot best through the more open chokes. IMHO a fixed cylinder bore shoots slugs the best. That said anything up to full will work safely with slugs although accuracy is likely to suffer the tighter you go.

mcb
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
mcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:38 AM   #4
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 10456
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb View Post
For the shot stages I usually use Modified or Improved Modified. For slugs stages I use a skeet choke. Slugs usually shoot best through the more open chokes. IMHO a fixed cylinder bore shoots slugs the best. That said anything up to full will work safely with slugs although accuracy is likely to suffer the tighter you go.

mcb
Can you change chokes during I match? I would think that would be illegal.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:55 PM   #5
mcb
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 5280
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny4523 View Post
Can you change chokes during I match? I would think that would be illegal.
It will depend on who's rule set they are using. If they are using USPSA 3-gun or multi-gun rules then between stage changing choke tubes (assuming its done in a safety area) is perfectly legal. Some of the other rule systems might have rules against changing chokes but I have never heard of any specifically.

mcb
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
mcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:29 AM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 8411
For nearly every stage I use a cylinder choke. Unless a really heavy steel is set at 20 + yards, typlical handicap loads (either 7.5 or 8 ) will take care of it. Depending on your gun, you may want to change chokes for slug stages.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:31 PM   #7
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 12474
My Benelli M1 patterns so tight with the IC choke I've never changed it. Hell I wish I could get more spreed with closer clay targets sometimes. I would say for 95% of 3 gunning a IC or Mod will work fine. If you get into some serious 3 gun events you'll either want to change chokes or loads depending on how far steel is, what they do with clays, etc.

USPSA: A-57351 IDPA: A26629

DVC is a three legged stool. Remove one leg and you're just left with a pile of sticks.
Steel1212 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » Gun Games: Shooting Competition

Search tags for this page
3 gun choke tube
3 gun choke tubes

3 gun shotgun choke

3 gun shotgun chokes

best choke for 3 gun

best choke for 3 gun competition

best choke for 3 gun shooting
best chokes for 3 gun
best shotgun choke for 3 gun
best shotgun choke for 3-gun
choke tube for 3 gun
choke tubes for 3 gun
shotgun choke 3 gun
three gun shotgun chokes and slugs

what choke for 3 gun

what kind of choke for 3 gun
Click on a term to search for related topics.