• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Diagnosing shooting problems for dummies.

This is a discussion on Diagnosing shooting problems for dummies. within the Gun Games: Shooting Competition forums, part of the Use and Training category; So I admit it - I never had formal training in shooting pistols. I learned on an M-16, so things like breath control, jerking the ...

Old 11-19-2007, 10:28 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 21570
Post Diagnosing shooting problems for dummies.

So I admit it - I never had formal training in shooting pistols. I learned on an M-16, so things like breath control, jerking the trigger and anticipating the shot make sense to me - but according to the "diagnosis" chart I found online here, I am "breaking wrist down."

So - How about we define all the terms listed in that chart so that dummies like myself know what exactly its referring to.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Breaking wrist (up/down) - Explain please?

Heeling (Anticipating recoil) - What does heeling mean?

Thumbing or (too much/too little) trigger finger - (how exactly do you have too much/little trigger finger?)

Tightening grip - this one seems pretty self explanatory, but if someone has a good example feel free to post.

Jerking or slapping trigger - same as above...

Tightening fingers - how is this different from tightening grip?

Pushing or too little follow through - what is proper follow through?

I know some of these, but I don't know how I would explain them to other people.

Could you all try and think of good explanations and maybe we can create a sticky that has the explanations and the charts linked for future members?

Thanks!
Cogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-19-2007, 10:48 PM   #2
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 14171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogz View Post
So I admit it - I never had formal training in shooting pistols. I learned on an M-16, so things like breath control, jerking the trigger and anticipating the shot make sense to me - but according to the "diagnosis" chart I found online here, I am "breaking wrist down."

So - How about we define all the terms listed in that chart so that dummies like myself know what exactly its referring to.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Breaking wrist (up/down) - Explain please?

Heeling (Anticipating recoil) - What does heeling mean?

Thumbing or (too much/too little) trigger finger - (how exactly do you have too much/little trigger finger?)

Tightening grip - this one seems pretty self explanatory, but if someone has a good example feel free to post.

Jerking or slapping trigger - same as above...

Tightening fingers - how is this different from tightening grip?

Pushing or too little follow through - what is proper follow through?

I know some of these, but I don't know how I would explain them to other people.

Could you all try and think of good explanations and maybe we can create a sticky that has the explanations and the charts linked for future members?

Thanks!
"Breaking wrist" either up or down pushes the shot either high or low, but in a straight line. Basically wear the front sight winds up just before shot goes off.

"Heeling" is when you squeeze the gun just before the shot goes off (anticipating recoil) and the Heel of you dominate shooting hand pushes your barrel upwards at the last possible second. Try this with an empty gun and hold it one handed, now squeeze with your dominate hand slowly, and as the palm/heel of you hand contracts you can see your muzzle go upwards.

You can have too much trigger finger when you place your finger all the way across the trigger past the first line towards the middle of the finger. The ideal position is to rest the the finger on the trigger between the tip & first line (joint), referred to as the "pad".

When you grip your gun, if you see your hands or fingers turn white...then your gripping the gun too hard.

Slapping/ jerking the trigger is different than just having a tight grip. When your just about the pull the trigger & you suddenly "jerk" it quickly to the rear, if your right handed, then you'll notice the rounds going low left. If your left handed, they'll go low right. Try & practice slowly squeezing the trigger to the rear and as the gun fires....it should almost be a surprise to you. Most people anticipate the recoil & slap or jerk the trigger.

Most people pull the trigger then immediately lift their head to see where the shot went. This is referred to as poor "follow through" and can actually cause poor shot placement. Keep your same head position when you fire and pull the trigger all the way to the rear and hold that position for a second or two afterwards. You'll notice a difference in consistancy as compared to looking up immediately after a shot.

Hope this helps!!

Last edited by MGD 45; 11-19-2007 at 10:56 PM.
MGD 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 03:25 AM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 17700
That's good $hit MGD... speaking of which, it's Miller Time.
AKpredator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:59 AM   #4
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 14171
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKpredator View Post
That's good $hit MGD... speaking of which, it's Miller Time.
Thankyou sir!! I agree whole heartedly about "Miller Time" WHOO HOO!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » Gun Games: Shooting Competition

Search tags for this page
breaking wrist up
breaking wrist up pistol
breaking wrist up shooting
correct heeling shooting
diagnosing common shooting problems pistol
diagnosing pistol shooting problems
diagnosing shooting problems
heeling anticipating recoil
heeling pistol shooting

heeling shooting

heeling when shooting

heeling while shooting
pistol heeling
what does breaking wrist up mean
what is heeling in shooting
what is heeling mean when shooting
Click on a term to search for related topics.