• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

IDPA Reload with Retention

This is a discussion on IDPA Reload with Retention within the Gun Games: Shooting Competition forums, part of the Use and Training category; In IDPA you can either do a Tactical Reload or Reload with Retention if stated or you want to reload before you go empty. The ...

Old 01-23-2012, 01:21 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 8374
IDPA Reload with Retention

In IDPA you can either do a Tactical Reload or Reload with Retention if stated or you want to reload before you go empty. The question is when doing a Reload with Retention what is faster? Meaning where do you stow the partial magazine?

I have tried the vest pocket and its ok but it seems like the top shooters and stowing in the waist/belt... Anybody have tips on this to make it faster and smoother. Trying to decrease my Reload with Retention time so I can better attack IDPA stages. Shooting a Glock 17.

Thanks

True tolerance is not a total lack of judgment. It's knowing what should be tolerated - and refusing to tolerate that which shouldn't.
--Chuck Colson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
dsglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-23-2012, 07:04 PM   #2
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 44766
for me i try to go belt line for a reload with retention, shove it in just in front of my hip bone. gets my hand down to the belt line to grab a new mag.
tac load i drop it in a vest pocket and get my hand back to the gun. i feel like if i go to the pocket for a retention load i end up fumbling with the vest to get the new mag.
sm0kyj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:11 PM   #3
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 46791
I generally stow the partial magazine in my belt. Suck in the gut and slip it in between pants and gut. Release gut with sigh of relief as I continue shooting
"I see nothing bitter in that."

Cmdr Riker +Cpt Picard, STTNG, Farpoint episode
apamburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:28 PM   #4
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 28471
I generally drop the mag into my left hand, sweep back the cover garmet, stow in the left front pocket of my pants, and pull the new mag from the mag pouch on the way back from the pocket. Tac reloads are faster IF you are moving from cover to cover. Stowed mag goes into my vest pocket.

XDm .45 5.25 Competition
XD9sc w/ TFO's
XDM 40 DP fiber optics, PRP trigger
STI Spartan 9mm
2-STI Spartan .45;s
S&W M&P 9 Pro
Kahr CW9
2-Browning Buckmarks
S&W 686
ETexPops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:48 PM   #5
VR4
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 29154
Watch Morgan Allen's YouTube videos over and over LOL!! He is the RWR master. On a serious note the fastest way is the place it in your waste line , while thumb is in waste line slide it over to your next mag then pull it out and insert in gun. Standing is good practice but be sure to use movement. I have a area in my home where there is about a 4-6 foot wide wall with a door on each side. I place targets on each side and practice RWR back and forth. My goal is to have mag in before I reach the position.

As for making your reload faster and smoother. Brake down the reload. Only drop mag and place it in your waist only about 10 times then work on dropping mag in waist line then grabbing next mag 10 times and so on. By doing this you will find your flaws a lot faster and can correct them.
Daniel Defense M4 /Aimpoint M3,FDE Magpul Moe stock,FDE Magpul Moe pistol grip,FSC556,Geissele SSA,MS2 sling
Rainier Arms AR-15

VR4 IDPA/USPSA/Tac-Rifle VIDEO'S

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

RAINIER ARMS SHOOTING TEAM
PNW ARMS SHOOTING TEAM
Rainierarms.com
PNWARMS.com
VR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:38 AM   #6
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 61464
Quote:
Originally Posted by apamburn View Post
I generally stow the partial magazine in my belt. Suck in the gut and slip it in between pants and gut. Release gut with sigh of relief as I continue shooting
This. I have found this to be the way that works best for me.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:13 AM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 58542
i hate reloads with retention because I generally try to shove them in my pockets while moving but usually just end up inside of my pants and ultimatly falling down my pant legs.... oh well. everytime I think of when I do it, it makes me laugh and usually the other guys at the range too.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:51 AM   #8
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 46791
So does IDPA teach to remove the partial mag first then go for the full mag?

I was taught to leave partial in the weapon in case you have to abandon the RWR to defend yourself and need more than 1 round.

So I bring the weapon in, retrieve new mag, properly indexed, remove old mag between middle and ring finger, insert new magazine, stow old mag, and point in again.

I think doing a RWR would be very difficult on the move. I would suggest that a RWR really isn't meant to be fast (not that it must be super slow, either) and that it would be better to do it from cover.

If I'm moving and reloading, I'm doing a speed reload and just dropping the mag (I think). RWR too complicated to do while on the go.
"I see nothing bitter in that."

Cmdr Riker +Cpt Picard, STTNG, Farpoint episode
apamburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:55 AM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR4 View Post
Watch Morgan Allen's YouTube videos over and over LOL!! He is the RWR master. On a serious note the fastest way is the place it in your waste line , while thumb is in waste line slide it over to your next mag then pull it out and insert in gun. Standing is good practice but be sure to use movement. I have a area in my home where there is about a 4-6 foot wide wall with a door on each side. I place targets on each side and practice RWR back and forth. My goal is to have mag in before I reach the position.
I shoot with Morgan at the local matches, however I'm usually not in his squad and the you tube videos it's hard to see the reload. I'm practicing with the waist and have it down pretty good.

True tolerance is not a total lack of judgment. It's knowing what should be tolerated - and refusing to tolerate that which shouldn't.
--Chuck Colson

Old 01-24-2012, 10:57 AM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apamburn View Post
So does IDPA teach to remove the partial mag first then go for the full mag?

I was taught to leave partial in the weapon in case you have to abandon the RWR to defend yourself and need more than 1 round.

So I bring the weapon in, retrieve new mag, properly indexed, remove old mag between middle and ring finger, insert new magazine, stow old mag, and point in again.

I think doing a RWR would be very difficult on the move. I would suggest that a RWR really isn't meant to be fast (not that it must be super slow, either) and that it would be better to do it from cover.

If I'm moving and reloading, I'm doing a speed reload and just dropping the mag (I think). RWR too complicated to do while on the go.
IDPA will allow you to do a Tactical reload, where you bring the spare mag up first then swap, or a RWR. RWR is faster since you are only going to the waist once, not twice with a tactical reload.

--Chuck Colson

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » Gun Games: Shooting Competition

glock, idpa, reload, retention

Search tags for this page
idpa and reloading
idpa magazine retention

idpa reload with retention

idpa reload with retention tips

idpa reloads

idpa shooting tips

idpa speed reload

idpa tactical reload

idpa tips
load with retention
pants idpa

reload with retention

reload with retention idpa

retention reload

what pants for idpa
Click on a term to search for related topics.