• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

IDPA Reload with Retention

This is a discussion on IDPA Reload with Retention within the Gun Games: Shooting Competition forums, part of the Use and Training category; Oh so it's a time/points thing....

Old 01-24-2012, 11:00 AM   #11
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 46791
Oh so it's a time/points thing.
"I see nothing bitter in that."

Cmdr Riker +Cpt Picard, STTNG, Farpoint episode
apamburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-24-2012, 11:57 AM   #12
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 53611
It depends on the stage and what type of reload it is calling for. Unless tactical is required, the RWR is faster. I have my t-shirt tucked in so its easier to stick in my pants on the way to mag 2. Haven't had any fall out.
SK13R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #13
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 14667
Quote:
Originally Posted by apamburn View Post
So does IDPA teach to remove the partial mag first then go for the full mag?

I was taught to leave partial in the weapon in case you have to abandon the RWR to defend yourself and need more than 1 round.

So I bring the weapon in, retrieve new mag, properly indexed, remove old mag between middle and ring finger, insert new magazine, stow old mag, and point in again.

I think doing a RWR would be very difficult on the move. I would suggest that a RWR really isn't meant to be fast (not that it must be super slow, either) and that it would be better to do it from cover.

If I'm moving and reloading, I'm doing a speed reload and just dropping the mag (I think). RWR too complicated to do while on the go.
RWR ot TR, they are essentially the same thing, either way you are keeping the partially spent mag. I usually shoot in cargo pants & the mag goes in the leg pocket. On the move is not a big deal, just depends on how coord you are & where you want to stow the mag. On the move, it usually goes in my pants pocket. At times moving behind cover, it's beneficial to RWR, you are not doing anything else anyway.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:55 PM   #14
VR4
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 29154
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsglenn View Post
I shoot with Morgan at the local matches, however I'm usually not in his squad and the you tube videos it's hard to see the reload. I'm practicing with the waist and have it down pretty good.
Wait What???? You shoot with Morgan and your asking us about RWR??? I've talked with him on FB and he seems to be a awesome person to talk to so I don't see why you wouldn't of ask him about it. Just saying.
Daniel Defense M4 /Aimpoint M3,FDE Magpul Moe stock,FDE Magpul Moe pistol grip,FSC556,Geissele SSA,MS2 sling
Rainier Arms AR-15

VR4 IDPA/USPSA/Tac-Rifle VIDEO'S

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

RAINIER ARMS SHOOTING TEAM
PNW ARMS SHOOTING TEAM
Rainierarms.com
PNWARMS.com
VR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:58 PM   #15
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 35894
I'm not nearly as high speed, low drag as a lot of IDPA shooters but I put the mag in my front left pocket. My mag pouches are at about 09:30 on my waste.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:01 PM   #16
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 8374
I shot a practice round last night a LGS and Morgan showed up, first time I was able to talk to him. He showed my his technique for the RWR, now to put it to practice.

True tolerance is not a total lack of judgment. It's knowing what should be tolerated - and refusing to tolerate that which shouldn't.
--Chuck Colson

dsglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:44 PM   #17
VR4
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 29154
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsglenn
I shot a practice round last night a LGS and Morgan showed up, first time I was able to talk to him. He showed my his technique for the RWR, now to put it to practice.
Nice!!
Daniel Defense M4 /Aimpoint M3,FDE Magpul Moe stock,FDE Magpul Moe pistol grip,FSC556,Geissele SSA,MS2 sling
Rainier Arms AR-15

VR4 IDPA/USPSA/Tac-Rifle VIDEO'S

RAINIER ARMS SHOOTING TEAM
PNW ARMS SHOOTING TEAM
Rainierarms.com
PNWARMS.com
VR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:09 PM   #18
XDTalk 100 Member

He explained it like this:

When you stow your partial mag, point it down into your stomach at an angle a few inches above your waist in the center then drive it into your waist. Then slide your hand around sweeping your vest and index your fresh mag. Watching him do it make it look easy of course after some practice I should get it down pretty good but the technique did help.

True tolerance is not a total lack of judgment. It's knowing what should be tolerated - and refusing to tolerate that which shouldn't.
--Chuck Colson

Old 01-28-2012, 10:38 PM   #19
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 23020
The waist band thing seems to work well for the younger slimmer guys. It doesn't seem to be as popular with is older more filled out shooters.

I always stick the mag in my front pocket. It takes a fraction of a second longer and my hand is already positioned to grab the next magazine.

I have never done a Tac Load in a match. I have tested it and never found a situation I could do it faster than RWR. Even though with RWR you can move before stowing the mag, for me, I tend to not move as quickly and surely so don't really make up any time.

CatsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:54 PM   #20
XDTalk 100 Member

Well after trying in a Match it worked well except for the time I fumbled with the insert into waist part. I still shot to slidelock because it's the fastest, but if I had to move then the RWR worked well.

TheMarshalDillon's Channel - YouTube

I'm Dillon so you can see the video's towards the bottom, stage 2 I fumbled with the RWR but stage 5 I had it down pat.

--Chuck Colson

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » Gun Games: Shooting Competition

glock, idpa, reload, retention

Search tags for this page
idpa and reloading
idpa magazine retention

idpa reload with retention

idpa reload with retention tips

idpa reloads

idpa shooting tips

idpa speed reload

idpa tactical reload

idpa tips
load with retention
pants idpa

reload with retention

reload with retention idpa

retention reload

what pants for idpa
Click on a term to search for related topics.