• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

XDm 9mm 3.8 for IDPA

This is a discussion on XDm 9mm 3.8 for IDPA within the Gun Games: Shooting Competition forums, part of the Use and Training category; I just recently started competing in IDPA and noticed that I have been the only one there with the XDm 9mm compact version competing in ...

Old 01-12-2012, 03:31 AM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 58542
XDm 9mm 3.8 for IDPA

I just recently started competing in IDPA and noticed that I have been the only one there with the XDm 9mm compact version competing in ESP. Everyone else had the 5.25" competition version. Granted I have been training with it for over a year before I decide to compete, I wanted to get the 9mm 5.25" but since I was out shooting them with a much smaller weapon why should I get the longer barrel? I want to get the competition 45 ACP version to shoot CDP, but dont think I need the competition 9mm one for ESP. Am I missing something? Do I need the longer gun to compete at the state and national levels?
Remove Ads
Old 01-12-2012, 07:33 AM   #2
XDTalk Member

Member #: 6593
No, you are fine. I have XD's in 9mm, 40 SW, and 45 ACP. I also have the XDM's in 9 and 45 including a 9mm 5.25 and a 9mm 3.8 compact. I find that the XDm's are much more accurate than the XD's. However, I find no difference in the XDm's accuracy between the shorter and longer barrels at the distances shot in IDPA.

In addition I would like to point out that IDPA is based upon using the firearm that you would be carrying in real life. So, are you going to carry that 5.25 everyday?
txshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:46 PM   #3
XDTalk Member

Member #: 66065
I was considering the 5.25 comp. I have the 3.8 xdm 9mm. I shot a 5.25 at the range a guy let me borrow. Shot for shot I just could not see a a reason to get a 5.25. . I am more comfortable with standard white dot sights, so I actually was more accurate with the 3.8. Maybe if I practiced more with it, but I'll pass for now.
Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:47 AM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 67036
Glad to read this, going to shoot my first IDPA next month and was debating using the compact or the 4.5. I was leaning towards the compact since that is the one I carry and at this point my goal is to improve skills, not win. I figure shooting what I carry would be the best way to start. Sounds like the gun will do fine, we'll see how long it take for my skills to do fine
RichardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:08 PM   #5
XDTalk Member

Member #: 38730
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
Glad to read this, going to shoot my first IDPA next month and was debating using the compact or the 4.5. I was leaning towards the compact since that is the one I carry and at this point my goal is to improve skills, not win. I figure shooting what I carry would be the best way to start. Sounds like the gun will do fine, we'll see how long it take for my skills to do fine
I've got a 3.8 in .40 and sometimes bring it out for an IDPA match. Otherwise it's my yardwork/snow shoveling carry piece. Most of the time I shoot a Kimber Pro (4" barrel) for IDPA even though most 1911s there are 5" barrel. Big believer in IDPA being for shooting what you carry. Have fun and let the gamers worry about winning.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:38 PM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 59077
My carry gun is my XDM 9mm compact. That's what I use in IDPA. In USPSA I use my 5" .45 1911. I mainly shoot USPSA (local club has 2 uspsa "fun" matches each week), so for the once or twice a month that I shoot IDPA I like to use my carry gun to keep familiar with it. I've never had any concerns about using a compact gun in IDPA. Most people do shoot longer guns, but I've never really felt outgunned by people shooting the same class as me.

Springfield Loaded Target .45 Black Stainless
Sooooooo Sexy
ChaoP is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » Gun Games: Shooting Competition

Search tags for this page

9mm for idpa

competing with a xdm 3.8
idpa 9mm
idpa gun xdm

idpa xdm 9mm

springfield xdm 9 3.8 for competition
why not more xdm in idpa
xdm 3.8 9mm

xdm 3.8 9mm competition

xdm 3.8 compact 9 mm for idpa
xdm 3.8 compact 9mm idpa

xdm 3.8 competition

xdm 3.8 for idpa

xdm 3.8 idpa

xdm compact for idpa
xdm in idpa?
Click on a term to search for related topics.