• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

New XDm 5.25 success in IDPA match

This is a discussion on New XDm 5.25 success in IDPA match within the Gun Games: Shooting Competition forums, part of the Use and Training category; Picked up the new XDm 9 Competition from S.A.W. at the gun show in Dallas last week and took it to Greenville, TX this weekend ...

Old 08-29-2011, 09:42 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 62810
Thumbs up New XDm 5.25 success in IDPA match

Picked up the new XDm 9 Competition from S.A.W. at the gun show in Dallas last week and took it to Greenville, TX this weekend for my club's IDPA match. The stock trigger has quite a bit of travel and doesn't break as clean as my XD9 4", but I was able to place better overall than I've been doing nonetheless. I needed to adjust the rear site quite a bit using a bore laser, but now it is deadly accurate well beyond the 25 yards I need for IDPA. I don't have a way to measure backflip, but my double taps stayed pretty close together. I'll try to get to the farm soon and do a more scientific analysis.

Overall I'm very pleased. Even the bonus paddle holster is decent enough to get started, and with 3 mags included the gun kit sets you up for competition, all you need is ammo! A little skate tape from Academy cut to fit using a hand-made paper template really makes a diffference on the sides of the grip. I also discovered the large (#3) backstrap is closest to the outline of the service model, and feels very natural compared to either of the other sizes (I have large-ish hands).

By the way, I'm shooting 147gr FMJ loaded to about 930 fps or 10% over min. power factor for ESP. Not exactly bunny farts, but importantly there were no problems cycling the sub-sonic load. Also have put a couple boxes of Federal 115gr through with no troubles.

Now I'm contemplating which trigger kit to put on it, and I like the idea of using a laquer pen to fill the engraving on the slide. Anxious to hear other feedback on new 5.25 purchases!
hole_shot58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-30-2011, 08:01 AM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 56121
Great to hear the 5.25 worked great for you! I know that the SA Custom Shop can put a sweet trigger job on all your XD's. It will cut that travel and reset. I use 115 gr with no issues. All the XD/XDm's I have eat up any ammo I feed it.

Now I do think that the ".25" part put you over the 5 in rule for IDPA. Sill waitin on hearing back on that but as it stands now its a IPSC/USPSA gun.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
|

|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
|

|
|
|
|
|
|

Check out:
|
|
|
|
|

|
|
dust717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:31 AM   #3
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 14667
Quote:
Originally Posted by dust717 View Post
Now I do think that the ".25" part put you over the 5 in rule for IDPA. Sill waitin on hearing back on that but as it stands now its a IPSC/USPSA gun.
There is no 5" bbl rule in IDPA for ESP guns, it just has to fit the box; see the IDPA rule book pg 21. If the gun fits inside the 8 3/4"X6" box, you should be fine.

You don't become a better shooter unless you can shoot more & you don't shoot more unlesss you can do it for less.

NRA Cert. Instr: Basic Pistol & Met. Reloading
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:48 PM   #4
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 5991
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
There is no 5" bbl rule in IDPA for ESP guns, it just has to fit the box; see the IDPA rule book pg 21. If the gun fits inside the 8 3/4"X6" box, you should be fine.
Agreed. There are no barrel length limits for IDPA (other than cone barrels in 1911s). If it fits in the box, it's legal. And the 5.25" is definitely legal!
Old 08-30-2011, 08:15 PM   #5
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 62810
I'm reading what I can find to see how Springer, PRP and SA compare on XDm trigger jobs. Also willing to try a little gentle "polishing" to improve the feel.

As to rules, there sure would be a different mix of Glocks out there if the 34 (5.32" barrel) wasn't IDPA legal!
hole_shot58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:37 PM   #6
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 59464
I would like to add, i shot in my 2nd IDPA match this weekend, first time with my new 5.25XDM, and granted I am unclassified for the time being, i beat out the 7 other people in ESP Unclassified that all have been doing this way longer. Had i been a Marksmen (which is what i consider myself), i still would have come in 1st place, but only by 2 points. I am EXTREMELY happy with my 5.25 once i put a Powder River Precision Ultimate match trigger in it. Its just damn good.
REL1203 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » Gun Games: Shooting Competition

5.25, competition, idpa

Search tags for this page
5.25 idpa
idpa xdm 5.25

is the xdm 5.25 idpa legal

springfield xdm 5.25 idpa
xdm 5.25
xdm 5.25 for idpa
xdm 5.25 for idpa?

xdm 5.25 idpa

xdm 5.25 idpa legal

xdm 5.25 idpa legal?
xdm 5.25 legal for idpa
Click on a term to search for related topics.