• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

About to try USPSA. Need help with gear selection

This is a discussion on About to try USPSA. Need help with gear selection within the Gun Games: Shooting Competition forums, part of the Use and Training category; Last weekend, I watched my first USPSA competition and it looks like a great sport. I'd like to try my hand at it at the ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » Gun Games: Shooting Competition » About to try USPSA. Need help with gear selection

Old 06-07-2010, 09:36 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 46031
Question About to try USPSA. Need help with gear selection

Last weekend, I watched my first USPSA competition and it looks like a great sport. I'd like to try my hand at it at the end of the month so I need to get some basic gear sorted out. The first suggestion I got was to get 2 more mags and holders for them. Since I shoot left handed, I'm waiting for the SA lefty holster to arrive from SA customer service. Hopefully that will be adequate to at least get me started and see if this sport is for me.

Today, I took a suggestion from some of the guys at the range and stood in front of the bed practicing mag changes. The bed saved me from picking mags off the floor. Great idea, but it pointed out another issue. My belt is only suitable for holding my pants in the proper location. The mag holder was all over the place.

As a complete noob, should I invest in a CR Speed or Double Alpha type belt and another SA double mag holder? Will the SA holster and mag pouch work on that belt so that I can spread the cost out a bit? Will the combination be secure, or will stuff still flop all over the place?

I'm having a tough time sorting this all out because there isn't much info about mag holders for the XD-45, and even less about left-handed XD-45 holsters for the middle ground between concealed carry and full race holsters ($$$).

Thanks,
Bryan.

PS: I'm not worried about fast. I just don't want everything flopping around, and I don't want to spend a fortune.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:44 PM   #2
XDTalk Member

Member #: 46399
I would hold off on the CR setups until you have played the game a little longer.

The SA Mag holders do have big belt loops, but shouldn't be sliding around too bad. You can always pick up some mag holders from Blade tech, comp tac, or even Blackhawk. Blackhawk makes cheap double mag pouches that work fine. Mag holders that clip into your belt rather than having loops work a lot better.

Here's a link:

BLACKHAWK! Double Mag Case Double Stack Carbon Fiber Finish - BLACKHAWK!

A nice thick leather belt will work best for holding all of the gear up. You don't need a special gunbelt, however you will probably end up owning one if you really get into action shooting. Any thick leather belt will work.

I would suggest pick up a thick belt (That should cure your sliding mag pouch problem) first and go shoot some matches before deciding what equipment to buy next.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by The Norm Man; 06-07-2010 at 10:44 PM. Reason: typo
The Norm Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:54 PM   #3
XDTalk Member

Member #: 46399
Another Reference for You:

Competition Series Products :: Blade-Tech Industries
The Norm Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:58 PM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 21313
I would suggest that you not buy anything at all until you have actually shot a match. They will let you load your pockets full of magazine so take the time and really look around to see what works. IPSC/USPSA has so many divisions and rules to match each that you first need to zero on one particular area and then specialize.

If you simply must buy something get a good belt and trousers/pants that can stand the heavy wear matches can produce--jeans work but they are hot and very restrictive (typically). Fatigue styles are frowned upon but a good loose fitting pair of heavy duty cargo pants makes a good first start.

Gearing-up on what you think might work is a recipe for collecting a big box of useless trash.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

-- Thomas Jefferson
jfdavis58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:31 AM   #5
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 46031
Thank you very much. This is the kind of practical advice I couldn't find anywhere else.

Bryan.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:26 PM   #6
XDTalk Member

Member #: 45008
I am also just getting started. I fixed my issue of the SA mag holder moving by putting my belt thru one loop on the holder then a belt loop on my pants then the other loop on the holder. This at least keeps it close to the same spot. I am trying a 4 mag nylon holder for a steel match this weekend.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:23 PM   #7
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 44635
Quote:
Originally Posted by de03x7 View Post
I am also just getting started. I fixed my issue of the SA mag holder moving by putting my belt thru one loop on the holder then a belt loop on my pants then the other loop on the holder. This at least keeps it close to the same spot. I am trying a 4 mag nylon holder for a steel match this weekend.

my problem with the XD mag holder in the vertical movement. It moves in and out from my body. I bought a Galco mag pouch and it is fantastic, I would recommend it to anyone.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:02 AM   #8
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 10456
I would probably hold off on buying anything right now. Take your time during your first few matches, and don't worry about speed. We had a new shooter on my squad this past weekend that came with his dad. Even though he had never shot competition before, he had the idea in his head that he wanted to be the fastest shooter there. He ended up to the point that he was rushing himself so fast, that he was having trouble hitting steel at 15 yards.

If you really get in to it, you'll end up spending money on some of the nicer stuff like the CR speed belt. Use what you have for now and save the money you know you'll spend later.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:06 PM   #9
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 6088
After you do all the stuff these guys talk about you will most likely choose what most of us use.

The CR Speed Belt and a Blade-Tech DOH.

The CR Speed mag pouches are pretty darned good and the standard that all other competition mag pouches are measured by.

This is the gear I use and I have one of those boxes full of crap that I tried and just didn't like. One day I might sell it off.

For IDPA the simpler the better. A double mag pouch and whatever belt holster you want to use.

USPSA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

I am not an expert I just shoot like one.
The Knight Of Light is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » Use and Training » Gun Games: Shooting Competition

belt, holster, mag, uspsa, xd-45

Search tags for this page
blade tech competition speed belt
cr speed belt vs double alpha
double alpha belt vs cr speed
double alpha gear for slae
double alpha vs cr speed belt
gear needed for uspsa
idpa - uspsa equiment for sale
recommended equipment for uspsa
single or double mag holders for uspsa
uspsa accessories
uspsa equipment
uspsa equipment for sale

uspsa gear

uspsa shooting gear

uspsa shooting supplies
xdtalkforum bladetech pro-series speed rig
Click on a term to search for related topics.