• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Review: Springfield Armory XD9SC

This is a discussion on Review: Springfield Armory XD9SC within the General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk forums, part of the XD Talk category; I took a lot of thought about my last weapon purchase. I wanted something small, reliable, cheap to shoot, and had to be accurate to ...

Old 10-24-2005, 12:18 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 6622
Review: Springfield Armory XD9SC

I took a lot of thought about my last weapon purchase. I wanted something small, reliable, cheap to shoot, and had to be accurate to 35ft. Some of the firearms I looked at we the Kahr PW9, Glock 26, Springfield XD9SC, and the Para Hawg9. I wanted something that I could also work into my budget with ease, but that idea went out the door once my AR sold. Sufficed to say I purchased the XD as "to keep it in the family".

Today was the first opportunity I had to fire the weapon. I first loaded both magazines with 115gr WWB, pulled back the slide, and went to town. I noticed no glitches, but did not like how the action was very tight. Recoil was a bit snappy for a 9mm, but nothing at all that was far to uncontrollable. After exactly 100rds of the WWB, my slide smoothed out considerably, and everything felt like absolute butter. Trigger pull was exceptionally smooth and very predictable. After the 100rds went through, it was time to shoot the personal protection stuff I bought. I had with me 25rounds of 124gr Hornady TAP, 20rounds of 147gr Federal Hydra-Shok's, and 50rds of 115gr WWB JHP. This gun ate everything I could throw at it without some much as a hiccup. It REALLY shined with the Hornady TAP. At 20 yards I was able to shoot 3in groups with no problem. The worst was the Federal Hydra-Shok's with rounds being all over the paper. Once my order of Winchester Ranger's come in I will run through a box to see how the gun likes them and report on accuracy.

Overall I rate this gun a 4.5 out of 5.

Pro's:
Small, easy to conceal, accurate, a natural point of aim with in my hands, and just plain ole fun to shoot.
The Con's :
I couldn't shoot worth a darn with the 10rd magazine. I am not accustomed to my pinky being off the hand grip. I hope this will be remedied with the Pearce Grip extension that I've ordered through Pistol Gear.
Slide was tight!! I would assume that this is just because it is a new firearm, but since running through 200rds it has given it's bite up and is nice and smooth now.
The snap, I didn't expect much recoil out of a 9mm, but as stated above it's not something that is scary to shoot, just more than what I had in mind. I am sure that once this gun is broken in, the guide spring will aid in recoil reduction.

I am VERY pleased with my purchase. I am now dreaming of some odd's and ends for it. Combat Grey Duracoat, Tirjicon sights, etc. I am also considering a .45GAPed Tactical model.....MMMMMM MMMMMMM
RoughNTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-24-2005, 02:11 PM   #2
XDTalk Member

Member #: 6918
I'm assuming this is going to be your carry gun, right? What made you go with the SC vs the Kahr? I'm starting to look at carry options and the SC seems to be a little big/heavy for me.
flipya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 06:02 PM   #3
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 4791
I can guarantee it will shoot well with the Winchester Ranger Talons. I use 147gr as does my former dept. and they have found it to be an excellent round. There are, of course, other excellent rounds out there like Golden Sabre and Gold Dot, to name two.

Good luck.
retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 10:47 PM   #4
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 6817
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipya
I'm assuming this is going to be your carry gun, right? What made you go with the SC vs the Kahr? I'm starting to look at carry options and the SC seems to be a little big/heavy for me.
How about price? He said that wanted some thing he could into his budget with ease, a new XD is at least $200 cheaper then a Kahr.
If money isn't an issue the Khar is lighter, and easier to conceal. I have two Kahrs, a PM 9mm covert , and a K40, but I will always carry a full size gun if I can.
40SWXDSHOOTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 11:29 PM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 6622
You nailed it! Don't get me wrong, I would still love to own a Kahr, but funds don't allow it.

When I got home today the "not fitting my hand problem has been fixed. Thanks to Pistol Gear, I recieved my extra 10rd magazine and a Pearce Grip extension. I wish I would have ordered two of em though...lol These things ROCK!
RoughNTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 01:01 AM   #6
XDTalk Member

Member #: 7180
RoughNtough, your review was reassuring. I also have just bought an XD9sc and will shoot it for the first time tomorrow. Mine came with 2 ten round and a sixteen round magazine, so I'll get to try out both.

I haven't had or fired a handgun in years, and I was originally looking at Glocks for use as a home/personal-defense weapon. I was uneasy with the trigger safety, though, and mentioned to the dealer that I wished they'd also included a grip-safety like on the .45 I had as a Marine.

Then he brought out an XD...
Old 10-25-2005, 08:54 AM   #7
XDTalk Member

Member #: 6918
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40SWXDSHOOTER
How about price? He said that wanted some thing he could into his budget with ease, a new XD is at least $200 cheaper then a Kahr.
If money isn't an issue the Khar is lighter, and easier to conceal. I have two Kahrs, a PM 9mm covert , and a K40, but I will always carry a full size gun if I can.
Oh that little issue!! I'm going at this a$$ backwards probably. Trying to find the perfect gun (that I will actually carry if I so decide- which eliminates my Service - too big for me) I hadn't looked at pricing yet - just size and feel. - - And I'm hijacking this thread - - sorry RoughNtough - good info here!!
flipya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 04:54 PM   #8
baa
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 6444
The grip extensions make a huge difference when shooting the XD-SC with the 10rd mag. Night and day difference in comfort and accuracy and the bonus is they add very little to the total bulk of the pistol.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk

Search tags for this page
sa xd9sc review
springfield armory xd9sc
springfield armory xd9sc reviews
springfield xd 9 sc review
springfield xd sc review
springfield xd9 sc review
springfield xd9 sc reviews
springfield xd9sc

springfield xd9sc review

xd 9 sc reviews
xd9 sc
xd9 sc review
xd9sc

xd9sc review

xd9sc reviews
Click on a term to search for related topics.