• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Copper fouling

This is a discussion on Copper fouling within the General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk forums, part of the XD Talk category; I have some copper fouling in my gun barrels..it looks like lines that run along the rifiling of the barrel and some on the feed ...

Old 07-09-2008, 11:32 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 24594
Copper fouling

I have some copper fouling in my gun barrels..it looks like lines that run along the rifiling of the barrel and some on the feed ramp..Hoppes was'nt enough so I purchased a can of break-free cleaning foam..besides just filling the filling the barrel and running a swab do I have to use anything else (of course oil for storage)?? How safe is it to use..I heard ammonia based products promote rust..

XD.40 SC (off-duty/backup) Bet my life on it.
Sig P228 (Dep. Issued)
Sig P229r Equinox
Mossberg 500 Mariner (cruiser set-up)
Ruger 10/22
Mossberg 500 cruiser
cloudstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-09-2008, 11:34 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 26300
50/50 ammonia and karosene
qwik48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:35 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudstrife View Post
I have some copper fouling in my gun barrels..it looks like lines that run along the rifiling of the barrel and some on the feed ramp..Hoppes was'nt enough so I purchased a can of break-free cleaning foam..besides just filling the filling the barrel and running a swab do I have to use anything else (of course oil for storage)?? How safe is it to use..I heard ammonia based products promote rust..

they don't promote it unless you dont take the CLEANING product off...

ammonia EATS copper.. take a bullet and put it in a dish with ammonia in it... it'll turn blue.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:41 PM   #4
XDTalk Newbie

Ok..I never used this stuff before...so just spray it in...let it sit for a few minutes and then swab it out?? Do I have to use anything else or just oil it and thats it..??

Thanks for your replies.

Sig P228 (Dep. Issued)
Sig P229r Equinox
Ruger 10/22
Mossberg 500 cruiser
Old 07-09-2008, 11:45 PM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

soak the pistol tubes... rifles: i like to plug on end, the fill em up... 5 min duration. do it outside. becareful getting in gas tubes etc.

like I said be sure to get the cleaning product of regarless of what it is.. most all are degreasers and guns need lube... why a lot of people including the military use clp... does it all
Old 07-09-2008, 11:50 PM   #6
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 26930
Well I know you said you use hoppe's but I'm assuming it's regular #9 and not Benchrest in the black bottle. If this foam doesn't work for you, give the Benchrest a try; I've had very good results with it. With the Hoppe's after you scrub with a bore brush and run patches you run a wet patch and let it sit for a night. In the morning you take a clean patch through to get it all out. I like to follow up with some gun scrubber for good measure. It makes my copper streaks disappear. The directions mention anything about letting it sit overnight?
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Marlin M60
Ruger 22/45 MKIII
XDBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:57 PM   #7
XDTalk Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDBlake View Post
Well I know you said you use hoppe's but I'm assuming it's regular #9 and not Benchrest in the black bottle. If this foam doesn't work for you, give the Benchrest a try; I've had very good results with it. With the Hoppe's after you scrub with a bore brush and run patches you run a wet patch and let it sit for a night. In the morning you take a clean patch through to get it all out. I like to follow up with some gun scrubber for good measure. It makes my copper streaks disappear. The directions mention anything about letting it sit overnight?

Yeah..normally I just scrub with number 9..I was gonna just spray the foam in then swab it out and just run an oil patch through the barrel. Getting off the feed ramp may be different..should I just spray on that too?

Sig P228 (Dep. Issued)
Sig P229r Equinox
Ruger 10/22
Mossberg 500 cruiser
Old 07-10-2008, 12:01 AM   #8
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 26930
Well I've never used that stuff, but with the Benchrest I just put some on the ramp and scrub. My guess is spray some on and let it sit a bit, then hit it with the brush. Let me know what you think of the product, it may be just the thing I need for my old Mosin. Seems like no amount of scrubbing will get out 80 years of fouling .
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Marlin M60
Ruger 22/45 MKIII
XDBlake is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk

Search tags for this page
copper fouling

copper fouling in barrel

copper fouling in feed ramps of a colt 6920?
copper fouling in rifle barrels
copper fouling in rifle barrels rust
copper fouling of a pistol barrel
copper fouling or rust
copper fouling pics
copper fouling xd 40
copper on feed ramp
gun websites copper fouling
mossberg copper fouling
new saiga copper fouling?
new sig pistol looks like copper fouling in barrel

what does copper fouling look like

Click on a term to search for related topics.