• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Impulse buys and pawn shops

This is a discussion on Impulse buys and pawn shops within the General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk forums, part of the XD Talk category; Missouri law changed last year. Used to be you had to get a handgun permit to purchase from your local sheriff. They did the background ...

Old 04-28-2008, 11:21 AM   #21
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 22637
Big MO

Missouri law changed last year. Used to be you had to get a handgun permit to purchase from your local sheriff. They did the background check, which took about 2 weeks. Then you could go down and buy a handgun.

Now you can purchase a handgun with background check done over the phone at the store. No waiting period.

In my area, pawn shops tend to have lower prices than traditional gun shops on new guns. The selection is more limited of course. Haven't really done an bargain hunting for used guns.
drgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-28-2008, 01:41 PM   #22
XDTalk Member

Member #: 23953
I don't understand the pawnshop thing.

I live in Washington State, and I'd love to get the great deals available at pawn shops. I'd love to pick up a 92FS, which are probably pretty prevalent, but I'm just so wary of pawn shops. It seems to me that a lot of the guns would be stolen, and being in posession of stolen property is against the law (had a relative thrown in jail for buying a few long guns that were apparently stolen before he got his hands on them).

Don't mean to thread hijack, but don't you guys worry about this? Are there safeguards that the pawn shops have in place to make sure none of the pieces are stolen?

I want a 22A, a 92FS, and some sort of shottty... but I'm just worried about pawn shops, and figured I'll need to be saving up for new/certified used.
CMMG lower/spikes upper middy AR-15

slowly building the collection... next up: 12 gauge
Tainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:56 PM   #23
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 3358
NC handgun purchase permit NOT the same as a concealed handgun permit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romans3.22 View Post
Hello everyone!! So I've been reading a lot of threads with people saying that they bought their gun on "impulse". My question is that do these people always carry their gun permits with them? I'm not sure how it is in other states but here in North Carolina I need a gun permit to purchase a handgun.

Also I've read some people bought a used XD from a pawn shop. Why in the world would someone pawn off their XD? If I found a XD at the pawn shop would I need a gun permit to buy it?
Since this really is about NC I'll answer your question.

In NC we are required to have a handgun purchase permit to buy a handgun (not rifles or shotguns). Most counties will let you purchase 5 at a time. Some counties will let you come back and get 5 more when you use these. Other counties only let you get 5 a year.

The sheriff's office does a NICS check on you when you apply for the permits. If you are a go you can pick your handgun purchase permit up in less then 5 days.

You hand over your purchase permit to the seller (by NC law even private sells). Some places will let you leave with it without another NICS call some will do another one. My understanding is they don't have to make that call (you've already been approved). You fill out the paperwork and leave with your handgun.

If you have a CHP you do not need the purchase permit.

Most shops will hold the gun for you with a down payment until you either run home and get your purchase permit or go down and apply for a new one.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:03 PM   #24
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 10187
No wait time here in the Land of Larry Bird (Indiana).

There's no need to have any kind of card to purchase a firearm either.

A Purchase Permit? Rotflmao. That is the stupidest Idea i've heard all day.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
IndianaJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:16 PM   #25
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 21415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainen View Post

I live in Washington State, and I'd love to get the great deals available at pawn shops. I'd love to pick up a 92FS, which are probably pretty prevalent, but I'm just so wary of pawn shops. It seems to me that a lot of the guns would be stolen, and being in posession of stolen property is against the law (had a relative thrown in jail for buying a few long guns that were apparently stolen before he got his hands on them).

Don't mean to thread hijack, but don't you guys worry about this? Are there safeguards that the pawn shops have in place to make sure none of the pieces are stolen?

I want a 22A, a 92FS, and some sort of shottty... but I'm just worried about pawn shops, and figured I'll need to be saving up for new/certified used.
I would guess that in WA like in OR that pawn shops are required to give the Police a list of all items pawned. If something has been reported as stolen then they have to turn it over to the police.

This Veteran is heavily medicated for your safety.

A lot not alot or allot
Threw, through, thru know the difference.
Your, you're
An or and
There, their, they're

Homonyms work sheet
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

List of homonyms

Cannibul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:11 PM   #26
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 25332
I read this thread this morning & it made me think that maybe I need to stop by the pawn shop myself. I stopped & there was an almost new XD.40 HC there. I made an offer, filled out 2 pages of paperwork, waited approx 1 minute for the owner to make a phone call, laid down my money & was out the door in less than 10 minutes (inc inspecting the gun).
Col Reb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:33 PM   #27
XDTalk Member

Member #: 23399
Here in Ohio we just walk in, Plunk the Money down, they do a Call in Background check and in about 5-10 Minutes you wak out with your new Gun.
I liked the Good Ole days when you just walked in, filled out the Form and walked out with your new Gun, those Damn Clintons and Brady's messed everything up
Bob
Moon Doggie 116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:34 PM   #28
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 21634
Love Montana!!

Hey nice pistol,
How much?
$xxx.xx
I'll take it
Fill out paperwork
make phone call (no call if you have ccw)
pay
walk out.

| XD40 TACTICAL | XD9 SERVICE | XD40SC | XDM 5.25 9MM
| 92FS |Sig Sauer Mosquito |P22 |
|
U22 NEO 6" | TAURUS 1911 | KEL TEC P11 | WITNESS PS 40 | H&R 22/22M| U22 NEO 4"|
CENTRAL MONTANA

NRA R.S.O.

Latitude 47.06N
Longitude 109.43W

Prezents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:43 AM   #29
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 2309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainen View Post

In Florida guns taken in at Pawn shops can't be put out for sale for 30 days while checks are run to make sure the gun is not stolen. In addition any time you trade in or sell a gun you must fill out paper work which includes your finger print and detailed personal information on yourself and the gun. So no I am not uncomfortable about buying guns from Pawn shops.
Sig P220, [COLOR=red]Taurus PT1911,Browning HiPowr 9mm,, CZ75, CZ75 P01, Walther PPS 9mm, Savage 9317 BTVS .22, Browning Buckmark, Taurus Gaucho 357 (pair), Taurus Gaucho 45LC (pair), Uberti 1873 Saddle Rifle 357, Uberti 1873 45 LC Carbine, TTN 12 Gauge Double, Ruger Bisley Vaquero 357 (pair), Springfield XD9SC, XD45 Service, XD45 Compact Tactical, XD(M) 40S&W BiTone, Taurus 617 357, Remington 870 12 TacticalXDS 9 Bitone,SIG 226 9 EQINOX, SIG 228 9MM,SIG 1911 22,S&W MP 15,S&W 15-22
rgeliske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:50 AM   #30
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 14716
i don't know where you texans have been buying your guns? there is no ten day period. i have heard about having to wait on a response and it taking a couple days, but no official waiting period.

i don't have a chl, yet. i walk into a gun store, pick out what i want, i usually have already handled the one i want several times so i already have it picked out. give them my DL, fill out the paperwork(i almost have it memorized), they get on the phone and five minutes later i am out the door. i guess after you purchase several guns the background check is a little faster.

i have bought from pawn shops and "gun stores", no difference in procedure.
texas_rebel_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk

Search tags for this page
austin pawn xd 9

buying a gun in florida

buying guns from pawn shop missouri law

can you go to jail for buy a gun at pawn shop
do pawn shops havd waiting periods for guns
florida pawn shop waiting periods handguns
how to buy a gun from a pawn shop without permit in wa state

how to sell a gun in missouri

is there a 3 day wait for handguns from a pawn shop in florida

is there a background check to buy a gun at a pawn shop in washington state
is there a waiting period for a gun at florida pawn shops

is there a waiting period for buying a gun at a pawn shop

laws+for+pawning+guns+in washington
pawn shop gun rules in mo.
sell handgun to pawn shop in wa state
what are the laws for selling guns at a pawn shop in missouri
Click on a term to search for related topics.