• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

How to fix left shooting gun ?

This is a discussion on How to fix left shooting gun ? within the General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk forums, part of the XD Talk category; haven't had a lot of exposure to handguns or rifles so please forgive what is probably a not so bright question - If gun shoots ...

Old 04-07-2007, 02:04 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 16800
How to fix left shooting gun ?

haven't had a lot of exposure to handguns or rifles so please forgive what is probably a not so bright question -

If gun shoots to the left - do I move the rear sight to the left to correct ?

Just picked up an XD - 40 tactical with XS big dots and it consistently is hitting 4"-5" to left of center.

I have read on the forum about factory sights being difficult to move and am wondering since it had XS big dots installed if the process would be easier. Do I just loosen the set screws with allen wrench and tap with punch/hammer ? Should I be able to do this without beating the Crap out of it ? -

Comments/advice much appreciated !

Last edited by shaddaddy; 04-07-2007 at 02:11 PM.
shaddaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-07-2007, 02:15 PM   #2
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 11831
i you sure it's the gun? has an accomplished, experienced shooter fired it yet?
Old 04-07-2007, 02:27 PM   #3
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 15115
Look at your shooting technique first. If you are anticipating the shot you may be leaning into the weapon right before the shot breaks causing your to shoot left (I assume you are a right handed shooter).

I have rarely had to adjust the sights on a pistol. My XD infact shot POA the day I took it out of the box.

USPSA-A59201
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 02:31 PM   #4
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 2309
First use some sort of rest to bench shoot the gun and insure that shooting left is not the result of your grip or too much finger on the trigger. New right hand shooter often place the first knuckle of their index finger on the trigger and jerk the trigger rather than squeezing it. This will usually produce a shot hitting left because your finger is actually pushing the barrel to the left. You should only have the pad of your index finger on the trigger and practice squeezing the trigger straight back. If this fixes the issue then you just need practice.

Fire a couple hundred rounds before any sight adjustment and let things wear in a little. By this time you should be shooting good 5 shot groups and not shots scattered all over the place, a 4" group at 10 yards should be close enough for you to determine where the gun is shooting. If the rear sight is not so tight that it can't be moved you will need to loosen the screw and move the rear sight toward the direction you want your POA to move. If it's shooting left you want to move the POA right so using a brass punch a a hammer tap the base of the rear sight to the right. Fire another 5 round group to see if the POA has moved...continue until satisfied. The sights may be hard to move but you really don't have to move it far to move 4"-5" on the target.
Sig P220, [COLOR=red]Taurus PT1911,Browning HiPowr 9mm,, CZ75, CZ75 P01, Walther PPS 9mm, Savage 9317 BTVS .22, Browning Buckmark, Taurus Gaucho 357 (pair), Taurus Gaucho 45LC (pair), Uberti 1873 Saddle Rifle 357, Uberti 1873 45 LC Carbine, TTN 12 Gauge Double, Ruger Bisley Vaquero 357 (pair), Springfield XD9SC, XD45 Service, XD45 Compact Tactical, XD(M) 40S&W BiTone, Taurus 617 357, Remington 870 12 TacticalXDS 9 Bitone,SIG 226 9 EQINOX, SIG 228 9MM,SIG 1911 22,S&W MP 15,S&W 15-22
rgeliske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 02:32 PM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 15835
Don't move 'em .... yet

I think you will see a lot of threads on here about "left-shooting" XD's. Most of it seems to come down to trigger finger control rather than the weapon. That was exactly the cause in my case with my new XD. It was bad grip (not in the web of the hand) and poor trigger finger placement (trigger held in first joint of finger).
Here is a Todd Jarrett video that pretty much explains some grip and trigger finger basics. I can tell you within a couple hundred rounds I have improved my point of impact considerably.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...363&pr=goog-sl

I'm still getting better
a few long guns
CanyonJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 02:34 PM   #6
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 6817
Yes on the sight adjustments.
BUT,
If you are right handed, and shooting to the left, you are using too much finger. and pushing the gun, and if you are left handed and shooting to the left, you are flinching.
Have some that knows what they are doing try it, and see where they are hitting, before you do anything.
40SWXDSHOOTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 02:40 PM   #7
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 16800
WOW - thanks for info - I'll be trying these tips before adjusting anything !
shaddaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 03:15 PM   #8
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 14870
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddaddy
If gun shoots to the left - do I move the rear sight to the left to correct ?

Comments/advice much appreciated !
First try some of the shooting advice you received here. If your shooting to the left still, then move your rear sight to the right.
I don't dial 911 - I use .357
Gunzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 03:25 PM   #9
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 5366
There is a target you can download, that shows the causes of your missed shots. Do a search for a pistol correction target.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:50 PM   #10
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 16691
Suprised nobody said this yet, but you may be holding too tight with your left hand. By squeezing too tight with your left hand, the fingers pull the gun to the left, hence missing to the left. That was one of the first things we went over in my handgun training class. Too much finger, as stated earlier, will not push left. It will pull to the right. All this is assuming that you are aligning the sights properly, which I am not doubting. Atleast it is fun to shoot while you figure it out.
Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk

Search tags for this page
causes of shooting left of center
gun shoots left
handgun shoots to left move rear sight ?
how do you fix down and to the left shooting with g42
if my pistol is shooting left which way should i move my rear sight
my gun still shoots left
my pistol shoots to the left

pistol shoots left

pistol shoots to the left

shot groups are all left pistol
sig p238 shoots to the left how to correct
what causes the firing groups to be left of center
Click on a term to search for related topics.