• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

XDs VS XDm Compact

This is a discussion on XDs VS XDm Compact within the General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk forums, part of the XD Talk category; I currently own and carry a full size XD45 tactical. I'm not a big guy (5'11 155) and wouldnt mind a smaller pistol to carry. ...

Old 12-10-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 75026
XDs VS XDm Compact

I currently own and carry a full size XD45 tactical. I'm not a big guy (5'11 155) and wouldnt mind a smaller pistol to carry. Like I need a reason to buy another
Since I already own a .45 it would be nice to own another gun in the same caliber. But up here in WI the XDs is kinda hard to come by, and also would be paying full new gun price. Is the XDs worth it when you can get a used XD or XDm compact for hundreds less?
mercracing84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-10-2012, 08:12 PM   #2
XDTalk Member

Member #: 45326
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercracing84 View Post
I currently own and carry a full size XD45 tactical. I'm not a big guy (5'11 155) and wouldnt mind a smaller pistol to carry. Like I need a reason to buy another
Since I already own a .45 it would be nice to own another gun in the same caliber. But up here in WI the XDs is kinda hard to come by, and also would be paying full new gun price. Is the XDs worth it when you can get a used XD or XDm compact for hundreds less?
I just ordered from my local gun shop a xdm 3.8 .45 for 670 out the door tax and all. Shelf price was 630 but got them down to 620. They had a xds bi tone new for 580. And the black one for 510. At all the shops i went to it was about 50 to 100 cheaper.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
FNEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
XDTalk Member

Member #: 50657
Their two totally different guns. Even the compact xdm 3.8 45 acp is still a lot bigger than the XDS. It's hard to appreciate the size until you carry both. So the deciding factor will be what's more important and what your exactly looking for. The XDs is a new platform never done before this small. You sacrifice capacity for concealibility. Much more comfortable to carry the XDs but the compact isn't a hard job to conceal either. So in the end it's what your looking for.
countrygunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:26 PM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 75026
I like how the XDs is single stack and small. I like how the XD or XDm compact is less expensive. I kinda buy lots of guns, so I dont ever have a big budget for the cooler guns
mercracing84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:15 AM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 73588
Man you must really be getting gouged up there on the XDs - they're less expensive than XDm's at some stores in my area.
WesternHaikus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:32 AM   #6
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 72084
I carry my XD-s more than my XD45c(which now just my bag/truck gun) due to the size difference and ease of concealment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
howler86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:03 AM   #7
XDTalk Member

Member #: 78878
The XDm .45 3.8 compact is certainly doable for CC with the right holster and belt. It's very similar in size to a G30 and know many folks carry that. I like how well behaved and accurate it is when practicing.

When I carry my XDm I do it with a dual clip hybrid holster at about 4 o'clock, generally untucked.

If you can handle the weight of the piece, the weight of an extra magazine and are ok with a larger holster, I'd say go for it.

I confess that I tend to go to the lighter single stack .45s. For me the XDS gets the nod most often now a days. It rides in a light weight single clip kydex holster.

You may want to check out an XDS and compare it with the XDm and see if you might want to compromise round count for the weight and width reduction, ie: 9+1 vs 5+1. This kind of compromise is a very personal decision that only you can make.

But do consider this, if you don't get it right this time for yourself, you can get something else the next time around...

Lastly, I see Kahr is coming out with a CM45, I'd guess at the shot show in January. Or perhaps a CW45 might work for you if you can't find a reasonable XDS single stack at the price of a little longer grip height.

I'm not outright endorsing them, but it is certainly another .45 single stack option and the CW45 probably has better availability at a cheaper price right now.
B2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:11 AM   #8
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 11603
I agree with countrygunner, they are both great pistols but significantly different.

I held several XD(M)-45 compacts at this past weekend's gun show and was amazed at how wide they felt compared to the XDs. Now, I have a XD-45 Service that I usually carry as well as a XD(M)-45 5.25 Comp Series; and to me they feel find but the compact double stacks just seem to accentuate the width of the grip.

The good news is that whichever feels best to you, you are getting a great pistol. It all comes down to personal preference, but there either would be a great choice!

Cheers! M2

Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones! -- Maj T.J. Kong
M2XD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:18 AM   #9
XDTalk Member

Member #: 45326
Well I looked at it like this. For my situation this is my only handgun in the house for now so I wanted to conceal and have a night stand gun. Which the compact fit the needs that i was looking for. Compact during the day and extended mag at night.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
FNEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:24 AM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 28015
Because you already have a basic full size gun, I would go with the XDS. But,,,,,, I like the XDM also. Tough Choice. You have to ask yourself this, " If you buy one or the other, will you regret not getting the other?" I get the feeling you might still want to XDS.....
sud123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk

Search tags for this page
45 xdm compact wisconsin
springfield xd vs xds vs xdm
springfield xdm compact or xds
springfield xdm vs xds
springfield xds or xdm
springfield xds vs xdm compact

xd vs xdm vs xds

xdm compact or xds

xdm compact vs xds

xdm or xds

xdm vs xds

xds or xdm compact

xds vs xdm

xds vs xdm compact

xds vs xdm compact 45
xds vs. xdm
Click on a term to search for related topics.