• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

how many rounds do u test before your confident in your home defense ammo?

This is a discussion on how many rounds do u test before your confident in your home defense ammo? within the General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk forums, part of the XD Talk category; just curious how many rounds of your home defense ammo do you put through your xd/xdm before your confident in it? 1 box of 20? ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk » how many rounds do u test before your confident in your home defense ammo?

Old 12-07-2012, 09:16 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 82949
Question how many rounds do u test before your confident in your home defense ammo?

just curious how many rounds of your home defense ammo do you put through your xd/xdm before your confident in it?

1 box of 20? 2 boxes of 20? 100 rounds? 200 rounds?

when do you consider it a failure and would not use it? 1 jam in 50 rounds? 2 fail to fire in 200 rounds?

must it fire a certain number of rounds flawlessly before you decide upon it as your home defense round?
donkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-07-2012, 09:37 PM   #2
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 82432
That is a good questions for sure. To me its not just a clear cut answer though but here are some factors I consider.

If it is a new untested gun I prefer to shoot a min of 50-100 rounds before I carry it at all. Not all of that has to be with the "carry ammo" in my eyes. IF the gun is one of those that feeds everything I stick into it then I may only test a few mags of the actual carry ammo.

If however I have a few hiccups in a new gun say with reloads I first try to find out why. Was it bad reloading if so no problems I move on. But if it is stove piping on feed that worries me. Failures to eject with reloads may be due to weak practice or reloaded ammo.

I have some guns that seem to feed anything so I dont worry much at all with them. With my new XDS I shot a couple of sessions with it cleaning between each one and then tested the carry ammo at about 15-20 rounds. It seems to feed anything so I didnt worry.
rotts4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:52 PM   #3
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 56814
I've never had a true failure in a carry weapon I've purchased... so I'm a bad vote.

Just lucky I guess.

But I suspect there are plenty like me...

That said I figure about 200 ball and 40 carry with no failures before I really call it good.

After that I figure odds are well in my favor it will go boom if I need it to.

But again, I've never had a lemon.

In a 200/40 scenario, I don't think I'd accept even a single failure to be honest. I'd be taking it back and looking for a reckoning...

- Gealousy
Gealousy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:31 AM   #4
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 80032
I wish I could carry...but I run a box or 2...sometimes I just buy 1 box of everything hp on the shelf...its pretty expensive but it was fun....and I figure if it will eat all kinds of ammo back to back mixing up ammo in the mag with rapid fire and everything...my xdm .45 functions flawlessly..1200 and haven't missed one beat...not too bad...

"ya know the favorite saying around here "play stupid games win stupid prizes"? once someone does something, they have a whole lot of personal responsibility they need to eat. sometimes its lead flavored with a thin copper shell."
So.Chi.Gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:01 AM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 82949
thanks for the feedback guys. the first stuff i ever fired through my xdm-45 was hornady tap fpd 230gr JHP and it severely jammed (slide wouldnt move, barely could eject round), so that made me really nervous... i am also testing out other jhp rounds.. today im trying the winchester pdx1 230gr JHP.
donkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:51 PM   #6
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 49988
I run a box or two of cheap target ammo (FMJ Winchester from WalMart usually) on a new gun to get a feel for it and give it a chance to break in a bit. I won't carry one that has had less than a box of my intended defense ammo through it - it feeds differently than the round ball stuff.

I would also recommend shooting the mag of carry ammo you've had in your gun every couple of months. I kept the same ammo in my .380 for a couple of months, and when I shot it after sitting that long, most of them wouldn't feed right. That was Hornady CD, it seemed that the inserts were binding up on the magazine. You also may get some set-back if you keep unloading and reloading the same road.

Plus it's an excuse to go shoot more.
Windham SRC AR-15
Steve9mmInMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:04 AM   #7
XDTalk Member

Member #: 83001
if i have a failure in my carry ammo, i look for a new one
grturner92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:25 AM   #8
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 80032
I keep pdx1 in ally handguns...thats what i like the most...

"ya know the favorite saying around here "play stupid games win stupid prizes"? once someone does something, they have a whole lot of personal responsibility they need to eat. sometimes its lead flavored with a thin copper shell."
So.Chi.Gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:28 AM   #9
Old Timer

Member #: 20418
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkin View Post
just curious how many rounds of your home defense ammo do you put through your xd/xdm before your confident in it?

1 box of 20? 2 boxes of 20? 100 rounds? 200 rounds?

when do you consider it a failure and would not use it? 1 jam in 50 rounds? 2 fail to fire in 200 rounds?

must it fire a certain number of rounds flawlessly before you decide upon it as your home defense round?
I don't buy boxes of 20 for my SD ammo.
Minimum 50 rd boxes, usually Ranger T.

After 200 to 300 rds of FMJ in any new pistol, if I can run a couple mags of my chosen JHP, I'm good to go.

My Glocks and Sigs eat anything I run thru them.
But my 9mm 1911s can be a bit picky, but always cycle the Ranger Ts.
1lowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:28 AM   #10
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkin View Post
thanks for the feedback guys. the first stuff i ever fired through my xdm-45 was hornady tap fpd 230gr JHP and it severely jammed (slide wouldnt move, barely could eject round), so that made me really nervous... i am also testing out other jhp rounds.. today im trying the winchester pdx1 230gr JHP.
So don't run that load.

Look in the ammo can section. There are TONS of posts on this subject.

Does you XD run ball (FMJ) reliably?

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk

ammo, bullet, home defense, round, testing

Search tags for this page

cobra 32 acp derringer for backup

does an xds 45 need break in before carry

how many defense rounds do i need

how many defense rounds need to be shot for testing

how many round is ok

how many rounds do i need to run through my xds 3.3 before i can fire reloads

how many rounds do you shoot to test reloads

how many rounds of ammo do u have before you have to have a licence

how many rounds of carry ammo do you shoot

how much ammo do you shoot

how much defense rounds to shoot before you carry

how much do you shoot defensive ammo

how much home defence ammo

how to test home defense rounds for your gun

xdm .45 break in without using ammo

Click on a term to search for related topics.