• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Pretty sure my rear sights are off (pictures)

This is a discussion on Pretty sure my rear sights are off (pictures) within the General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk forums, part of the XD Talk category; Yup. I agree too. If you are all over the paper it's you not the gun. If you are consistent then you are consistent. It ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk » Pretty sure my rear sights are off (pictures)

Old 12-02-2012, 09:24 PM   #11
AKC
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 41665
Yup. I agree too. If you are all over the paper it's you not the gun.

If you are consistent then you are consistent. It would be a tight group in one spot. Not all over the paper.

The gun is not broke in yet either.

Also. Dry fire practice can work wonders for live fire. Get some snap caps and get a bunch of trigger time.

When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty.

-Benjamin Franklin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
AKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-02-2012, 09:26 PM   #12
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 80010
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenW. View Post
Those couple of thousandths of an inch won't produce that much change unless you're doing some real long range work beyond the weapon's capability anyway.
Fair enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CID View Post
I didn't have a clue where my gun shot (XDM-40 3. until I got a chance to use a rest at the range. Once seated and comfy, I squeezed off 20 (or so). Aiming at 6 o'clock (Sight Image 1), I hit at 6 o'clock. Now I know where my gun shoots.

Do most ranges offer the use of a bench rest? I suppose you have to rent them if they did?
Old 12-02-2012, 09:27 PM   #13
AKC
XDTalk 5K Member

Quote:
I didn't have a clue where my gun shot (XDM-40 3. until I got a chance to use a rest at the range. Once seated and comfy, I squeezed off 20 (or so). Aiming at 6 o'clock (Sight Image 1), I hit at 6 o'clock. Now I know where my gun shoots.

It clearly states in the XDM manual it's POA=POI.

When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty.

-Benjamin Franklin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Old 12-02-2012, 09:33 PM   #14
XDTalk 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowlife View Post
I agree with everyone above..^

If your sights were to blame, then you would have tight groups all in one place on said target.
But being they are quite sporadic, I think you just need some more trigger time to hone your skills..

It happens to us all..

Shoot more and your groups will eventually tighten up..
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKC View Post
Yup. I agree too. If you are all over the paper it's you not the gun.

If you are consistent then you are consistent. It would be a tight group in one spot. Not all over the paper.

The gun is not broke in yet either.

Also. Dry fire practice can work wonders for live fire. Get some snap caps and get a bunch of trigger time.
I do have snap caps, 5 or so, and I try to practice often.

This is the target from the video. I adjusted my grip from the first range visit (the shadow target) and it clearly shows better control. Still need more practice, but the sight being drifted slightly to the left had me worried. If no one thinks it could affect anything then I'll go with what y'all say, and just keep practicing more instead of worrying about getting the rear sight moved to the center in the marks.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #15
CID
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 55758
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohicks View Post
Fair enough.

Do most ranges offer the use of a bench rest? I suppose you have to rent them if they did?
I've shot at two ranges. One has benches and rests at each station, the other doesn't.

Quote:
It clearly states in the XDM manual it's POA=POI.
What's clear to a seasoned shooter isn't so clear to me. I had to see it, and now I know.
CID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #16
AKC
XDTalk 5K Member

Also that little tiny bit that may be off set on the rear sight is not enough to make a big difference at SD ranges 3 to 7 yards.

Maybe from 15 to 25 yards.

Practice 3 to 7 see what happens.

-Benjamin Franklin

Old 12-02-2012, 09:51 PM   #17
AKC
XDTalk 5K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohicks View Post
I do have snap caps, 5 or so, and I try to practice often.

This is the target from the video. I adjusted my grip from the first range visit (the shadow target) and it clearly shows better control. Still need more practice, but the sight being drifted slightly to the left had me worried. If no one thinks it could affect anything then I'll go with what y'all say, and just keep practicing more instead of worrying about getting the rear sight moved to the center in the marks.
Try this.

Move into at least 7 yards.

Try gripping a little harder with your support hand a put a little more finger on the trigger.

Like almost to the first knuckle.

XD and XDM triggers are weird like that.

-Benjamin Franklin

Old 12-02-2012, 09:59 PM   #18
XDTalk 500 Member

Quote:
Also that little tiny bit that may be off set on the rear sight is not enough to make a big difference at SD ranges 3 to 7 yards.

Maybe from 15 to 25 yards.

Practice 3 to 7 see what happens.
Quote:
Try this.

Move into at least 7 yards.

Try gripping a little harder with your support hand a put a little more finger on the trigger.

Like almost to the first knuckle.

XD and XDM triggers are weird like that.
Thanks I'll give the suggestions a try. I'll be back in the range in probably a week. I know my support hand is weaker than it should be; you can tell that from the video

I'll use separate targets next time at 3, 7, 10, and 15 yards so I can keep better track between the distances. Then maybe we can make a better conclusion on whether or not the sight being slightly drifted left is an issue? Thanks.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:09 PM   #19
AKC
XDTalk 5K Member

Quote:
I've shot at two ranges. One has benches and rests at each station, the other doesn't.

What's clear to a seasoned shooter isn't so clear to me. I had to see it, and now I know.
Well, there are much more seasoned shooters than I! Haha.

I was just pointing out the obvious.

You'd be surprised how many don't read the manual before they shoot their new gun!!!!

-Benjamin Franklin

Old 12-02-2012, 10:15 PM   #20
CID
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 55758
Not a problem, for the most part, guys don't read any instructions.
CID is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk

45xdm, compact, factory, rear sights

Search tags for this page
adjustable rear sight xds
fnh sights not aligned from factory?
how can i tell if my front sight on my xd 40 is aligned right
how to drift rear sight xds
my springfield xds rearsight looks off center
my xdm front sight is off cebtered tonthe left
new xd 40 sites off
off centered' sights
off sights xd

sight tool xdm

xd 40 sights are off
xd rear sight off centre

xd sight off

xd talk, sights off

xdm 45

xds rear sight off center

Click on a term to search for related topics.