• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Loading the Xdm

This is a discussion on Loading the Xdm within the General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk forums, part of the XD Talk category; I just purchased my first handgun, a 9mm XDm 4.5" yesterday. Took it to the range, it shot well, no problems. Speer FMJs. I have ...

Old 11-25-2012, 07:20 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 80947
Loading the Xdm

I just purchased my first handgun, a 9mm XDm 4.5" yesterday.

Took it to the range, it shot well, no problems. Speer FMJs.

I have two questions:

First: does the slide need to be locked back to properly seat a fully loaded magazine? Mine seems to, but I wanted to make sure that's the way it's supposed to be. The manual implies this as well.

Second: JHPs are obviously more expensive than FMJs. How many of my chosen home defense round will I need to run through it to be confident it'll work when I need it to? I picked the Gold Dot 124 grain +P, in case it matters.

Sorry for the noobish questions, but I'd rather learn the answers than be too embarrassed to ask.

Thanks,
Steve
Schwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-25-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 50872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarf View Post
I just purchased my first handgun, a 9mm XDm 4.5" yesterday.

Took it to the range, it shot well, no problems. Speer FMJs.

I have two questions:

First: does the slide need to be locked back to properly seat a fully loaded magazine? Mine seems to, but I wanted to make sure that's the way it's supposed to be. The manual implies this as well.

Second: JHPs are obviously more expensive than FMJs. How many of my chosen home defense round will I need to run through it to be confident it'll work when I need it to? I picked the Gold Dot 124 grain +P, in case it matters.

Sorry for the noobish questions, but I'd rather learn the answers than be too embarrassed to ask.

Thanks,
Steve
you should not have to lock the slide back first. a fully loaded mag should insert with slide forward or back. Just slam the mag home. No worries.

I would run a minimum of 3 mags of HP's through your weapon to determine reliability. Obviously, more is better.
sschrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:21 PM   #3
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 80249
It will loosen up for you after a couple trips to the range, mine was the same. I just ran a full mag of JHP's (Federal HST's) and it ate them fine. Mine has about 500 rounds through it now and it feels nice. Good luck.....

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants" Thomas Jefferson

"When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson
bigred1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:35 PM   #4
XDTalk Newbie

Ok, thanks for the number of JHP rounds answer.

For the first question, I had the magazine full (19 rounds) and when I tried to slam it in with the slide closed, it fell right back out. When I slammed it in harder, it stayed put, but the magazine release button was so tight I thought it was stuck. I had to push it really hard to get the magazine out. I wasn't comfortable that the gun was fully operational, so I loaded it with the slide open, and no problems.

You say this will get easier at the gun gets broken in?

Thanks again,
Steve
Old 11-25-2012, 09:39 PM   #5
XDTalk 500 Member

Yes it will. The mag springs are really tight when new, you probably noticed that when you loaded the mags.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants" Thomas Jefferson

"When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-25-2012, 09:43 PM   #6
XDTalk Newbie

That's a relief. I thought I had either cleaned the gun wrong or been sold a defective gun.

Thanks again,
Steve
Old 11-25-2012, 09:47 PM   #7
XDTalk Newbie

Now I remember my other question!

My XDm came with a case and accessories, including a cable lock. Where in that case should the key be? I can't find it, and there don't seem to be that many places to look...
Old 11-25-2012, 09:48 PM   #8
XDTalk Member

Member #: 82000
I just got the same handgun. my mags have been going in just fine with the slide open or closed, im not slapping it in real hard or anything, just enough push to get it locked in.

the springs in the mags are loosening up a little, I have about 300 rounds through it now so each clip has had the same amount of usage.
no name 7.62x39 AR15
jab119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:49 PM   #9
XDTalk 500 Member

Mine was in the zip lock bag the lock came in.

Edit: Love Texas! Grew up there.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:10 PM   #10
Old Timer

Member #: 60337
Don't treat it like a toy. Rack the slide hard, slam the mag in like you mean it.

Once you get a few hundred through it, things will loosen up.

Most of all, enjoy it! Congrats.
OKcherokee is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk

ammunition testing, loading, magazine

Search tags for this page

after loading an xdm

how to losen up brand new xdm 4.5 pistol mags

loading a xdm

loading xdm clips

slap load xdm

slapping in magazine too hard releases slide

xd mag catch rotates

xdm cannot insert clip

xdm expensive

xdm loading

xdm loading tool

xdm loading tool video

xdm-9 4.5 fully loaded magazine wont seat

Click on a term to search for related topics.