• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Loading the Xdm

This is a discussion on Loading the Xdm within the General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk forums, part of the XD Talk category; Hey, San Antonio Schwarf! Congrats and welcome to the forum from Brown Co. Is there a reason not to lock the slide back before you ...

Old 11-26-2012, 02:34 AM   #11
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 30502
Hey, San Antonio Schwarf! Congrats and welcome to the forum from Brown Co. Is there a reason not to lock the slide back before you insert a full magazine? Do you keep the pistol loaded on an empty chamber? I keep my .45 close at hand when I sleep and that's the condition it's in. I want to make sure I'm conscious enough to rack the slide before I let any rounds loose in my house. That's about the only time I insert a fully loaded mag into the pistol with the slide forward.

When I'm at the range my magazines are always inserted with the slide locked back since that's what happens after the last round is fired. My XDm is over two years old and seating a fully loaded magazine still requires a pretty firm push, the mag release is as tight with a fully loaded mag as it was when brand new. Other than when loading with the slide forward to have an empty chamber, I see no disadvantage in locking the slide to the rear. Typically, I slingshot the first round into the chamber.

As far as a carry load, the 124 gr. +P Gold Dot is what I use when I carry a 9mm. It is an exceptional round. Shoot a few mags. I can't imagine that they wouldn't run flawlessly in your XDm. I've never seen anyone have an issue with that load. The Winchester Ranger 127 gr. +P+ is another very good load when you can find them.

The truth about OSS data and wound ballistics:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Get the complete picture here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
57K is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-28-2012, 11:16 AM   #12
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 58828
If the slide is closed, you will need to slam the fully loaded magazine in to get it to catch. Also, the mag release will be pretty tight trying to get a full mag to drop. Just push up on the bottom of the magazine as you push the mag release and it will move much easier. You should be able to drop an empty magazine easily.

The top round in the magazine pushes up on the bottom of the slide when closed, so you have to overcome the magazine spring resistance to push the round down a little to get the mag to catch. That's why you need to slam it home on a closed slide. All perfectly normal. I carry with one in the chamber, and I top off the mag after chambering the first round, so I am always inserting a fully loaded mag with a closed slide. It does loosen after a few hundred rounds, but I don't think it will ever be too easy until your mag springs need replacement.
AMSting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #13
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 30502
I agree with AMSting. If you are CCing your pistol you'll want to load the chamber and top off the magazine with another round and then insert the loaded magazine into the pistol with the slide closed. I must have missed it, I didn't see that you were actually carrying with the pistol.

The truth about OSS data and wound ballistics:

Get the complete picture here:
57K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:25 PM   #14
XDTalk Member

Member #: 142
With a 19-round magazine, it would not hurt to carry only 16 for a while until the spring and the magazine wear in a little.

My XD9 SC and my HS2000 both took a bit of time before they ran smoothly. I would recommend rotating through the ammo in the magazines so that the same round is not always being chambered.

Over a number of chamberings of a round, especially a defensive round, it is possible that the bullet will seat itself farther into the case.

That happened with a Kel-Tec 9mm about 15 years ago. (I finally gave that gun away, I hated it so much!)
Lou Hillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:43 PM   #15
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 38362
When you insert a full mag, the mag spring has to compress to get it in and it's already in a highly stressed state. just try and load round #19 thumbs only and see for yourself. That's why you need to give it a solid thump. It's a combat gun, treat it rough -- it will like it!

Tactical black cat - sleeps in doorways

A right unused become a privilege for the ruling class.

john_bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:59 PM   #16
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 68608
First trip to the range i ran 150 rounds of fmj through my XDm 45 to break it in. Everything operated easier and smoother after that 1st trip. Did the same again on the 2nd trip and it helped a little more, but not as drastically.
Guill732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:24 PM   #17
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 80947
Man, you guys are great. All this great information!

Just to clarify, I had no particular reason to need to load the magazine with the slide closed, but I thought I should be able to.

Also, I am not carrying it yet; it's my bedside gun for now. I plan to get my CCL soon, and will likely get an XDs for that.
Schwarf is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk

ammunition testing, loading, magazine

Search tags for this page

after loading an xdm

how to losen up brand new xdm 4.5 pistol mags

loading a xdm

loading xdm clips

slap load xdm

slapping in magazine too hard releases slide

xd mag catch rotates

xdm cannot insert clip

xdm expensive

xdm loading

xdm loading tool

xdm loading tool video

xdm-9 4.5 fully loaded magazine wont seat

Click on a term to search for related topics.