• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

XDs vs. Walther PPS

This is a discussion on XDs vs. Walther PPS within the General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk forums, part of the XD Talk category; Off to the LGS today I went to put hands on the PPS! I must say, super disappointed. The gun is amazing, but that afterthought ...

Old 10-02-2012, 06:52 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 78374
XDs vs. Walther PPS

Off to the LGS today I went to put hands on the PPS! I must say, super disappointed. The gun is amazing, but that afterthought mag release has tainted it. I will never own the PPS! Guess ill wait for the XDs to be a little more readily available.
lamerem is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-02-2012, 07:16 PM   #2
Official Site Vendor

Member #: 76611
The mag release isn't an afterthought. It's a continuation of a design that's been used for about 20 years.

It's much easier to use with your trigger finger and you won't change your grip on the gun as you do, unlike most thumb releases where your hand arches off the grip to press the release. Once you practice with it, it's equal to any thumb release, if not easier. And it's still right where you expect a thumb release so if you move your thumb there, you just press down instead of in.

America's Ultimate Shooting Sports Discounter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
CheaperThanDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:18 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 57477
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamerem View Post
Off to the LGS today I went to put hands on the PPS! I must say, super disappointed. The gun is amazing, but that afterthought mag release has tainted it. I will never own the PPS! Guess ill wait for the XDs to be a little more readily available.
I have to laugh as I have owned both the PPS and the XDS, I got rid of the XDS. The mag release I prefer and I have since sold my XD.45 and got rid of my G26 and have only my Walther PPS and PPQ. The XDS was ok but my PPS is so much more controlable and its been magnificent. The price is higher and mags are more expensive but it is what it is I guess.

Don't be scared of change (mag release) as I took it on and now prefer it over the thumb release. Most report they end up being faster and like the fact that it forces you to take your finger off the trigger during mag changes. I'd bet you'd like it if you bought it and tried it out.
Chadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:11 PM   #4
XDTalk Member

Member #: 59921
ive had a ppq (wish i wouldnt of sold it) and now have an xds. i prefer the walther mag release. the xds is fine with me tho. i love my xds 45. just need to get me a 7rd magazine!
bloodsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:16 PM   #5
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 56814
The PPS may be functional but I do not find them attractive which, for me, is important. Some people don't care as long as its functional which I get but... The XDS had the looks in the family IMO.

- Gealousy
Gealousy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:20 PM   #6
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 71939
Wow , I actually don't own a PPS (didn't even know of them until a week ago) but I think they look amazing ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 10-02-2012, 11:40 PM   #7
XDTalk Member

Member #: 77275
+1 on the PPS. One of the most underrated CCW pieces out there. I've daily'd mine for over 2 years and still find it to be more reliable and carryable than my new XDS even though my original intent was to replace the PPS with the XDS. The XDS has had a few questionable moments, and the Walther has run FLAWLESSLY since the break in. Yes the system is a little different, but as another member said, it's nothing new in the Walther family line of pistols, and easy to get used to once you train with it(You DO train with your CCW don't you???). My P22 uses the exact same mag release. One might even be able to say the P22 makes a great "trainer" gun for the PPS. In all honesty, the trigger and reset on the Walther and XDS is nearly identical. Same type of reset and all. For the record, I have had the 9mm since it came out pretty much. At release, the .40 was looking iffy on reliability and return trips to the factory so I passed. Did I mention I love the damn thing? You'd think Walther was paying me. Oh, FYI, Walther in the USA is serviced by S&W if you need repairs. Sent my P22 back once for some fluffing. Only downside: Things may have changed, but when I got mine, it only came with one mag, which was disappointing for the price, and extra mags are some of the most expensive I've seen(over 50 bucks). I think Sig Sauer and Walther are currently locked in a contest to see who can charge the most for extra mags. My P238 only came with one mag as well, with replacements being over 50 bucks. I tried a Sig p238 promag with a plastic follower which was trash. Fortunately my LGS was cool and gave me 100% refund. I have heard promag fixed the problem with steel followers, but buyer beware. Normally I avoid promag, but the temptation to get it at less than half price was too great. Never bothered getting an extra mag for the PPS. Not worth the money to me.
Bigboomlittlegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:27 AM   #8
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 7918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigboomlittlegun View Post
+1 on the PPS. One of the most underrated CCW pieces out there. I've daily'd mine for over 2 years and still find it to be more reliable and carryable than my new XDS even though my original intent was to replace the PPS with the XDS. The XDS has had a few questionable moments, and the Walther has run FLAWLESSLY since the break in. Yes the system is a little different, but as another member said, it's nothing new in the Walther family line of pistols, and easy to get used to once you train with it(You DO train with your CCW don't you???). My P22 uses the exact same mag release. One might even be able to say the P22 makes a great "trainer" gun for the PPS. In all honesty, the trigger and reset on the Walther and XDS is nearly identical. Same type of reset and all. For the record, I have had the 9mm since it came out pretty much. At release, the .40 was looking iffy on reliability and return trips to the factory so I passed. Did I mention I love the damn thing? You'd think Walther was paying me. Oh, FYI, Walther in the USA is serviced by S&W if you need repairs. Sent my P22 back once for some fluffing. Only downside: Things may have changed, but when I got mine, it only came with one mag, which was disappointing for the price, and extra mags are some of the most expensive I've seen(over 50 bucks). I think Sig Sauer and Walther are currently locked in a contest to see who can charge the most for extra mags. My P238 only came with one mag as well, with replacements being over 50 bucks. I tried a Sig p238 promag with a plastic follower which was trash. Fortunately my LGS was cool and gave me 100% refund. I have heard promag fixed the problem with steel followers, but buyer beware. Normally I avoid promag, but the temptation to get it at less than half price was too great. Never bothered getting an extra mag for the PPS. Not worth the money to me.
Ugh, first, don't use Promags for anything other than doorstops, second S&W and Walther are splitting, don't know how they will handle guns sold under the merger but all Walthers will probobly go to Walther for service ( probobly always have).

Love that style mag release on my P22 and HK.
Uzi, Sterling MK6, GSG-5.
Bersa Thunder 45, CZ75-SP01 Tactical, CZ75 Compact 40, DW CBOB 10mm,USP Custom Combat40, SA-1911,
XD-9 Service, XD-9SC Black, XD-9SC Bi-Tone, XD-40 Service Bi-tone, XD-45C Dark Earth, XD-45C Tactical Black,
Sig P228x2, Sig P220, Sig Mosquito, Steyr M9, Walther P-22, Beretta 92FS Inox
Kaboom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:49 AM   #9
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 65001
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheaperThanDirt View Post
The mag release isn't an afterthought. It's a continuation of a design that's been used for about 20 years.

It's much easier to use with your trigger finger and you won't change your grip on the gun as you do, unlike most thumb releases where your hand arches off the grip to press the release. Once you practice with it, it's equal to any thumb release, if not easier. And it's still right where you expect a thumb release so if you move your thumb there, you just press down instead of in.

Big +1. Most of the people who spend time actuating and using them prefer them. I do.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:51 AM   #10
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 65001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkman555 View Post
Wow , I actually don't own a PPS (didn't even know of them until a week ago) but I think they look amazing ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

They are. I have been carrying mine the past 8 months and it just gets boring how easy they are to conceal IWB. I bought a few holsters for the G22 and finally found a combo that works great. I will carry the Glock in colder weather and the PPS forever elsewhere. Over 3,000 rounds and no trouble through mine.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk

Search tags for this page
pps vs xds
springfield xds 45 vs walther pps 40
springfield xds vs walther pps
walther forum

walther pps

walther pps 45 compact

walther pps forum

walther pps vs
walther pps vs springfield xds
walther pps vs springfield xds 9mm

walther pps vs xds

walther pps vs xds 9mm
xds 9mm vs walther pps
xds or pps

xds vs pps

xds vs walther pps
Click on a term to search for related topics.