• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

XDM 3.8 Compact vs. XDS

This is a discussion on XDM 3.8 Compact vs. XDS within the General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk forums, part of the XD Talk category; This will be first handgun. I like the double stack better (fit of the hand) vs XDS but both are nice. However, the budget will ...

Old 08-20-2012, 07:45 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 75851
XDM 3.8 Compact vs. XDS

This will be first handgun. I like the double stack better (fit of the hand) vs XDS but both are nice. However, the budget will only support one gun. I worry about concealment. I am 6 ft. 225lbs. My typical summer dress is shorts and tee shirt. I'd appreciate advice on which as it I can afford this purchase only once.

Sent from my mind using telepathy.
guitarnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-20-2012, 07:57 PM   #2
XDTalk Member

Member #: 76441
Nothing will work with shorts and a tee unless your belly roll will cover the gun. You trolls kill me. I can here it now from the girls--- I want to carry in my G-string bottom. What do you guys reccomend?? I guess if your ass crack is deep enough you could carry it there. If you need to carry at the beach you are going to the wrong beach!!! If you feel you need to carry you need to wear cloths capable of hiding the gun. You guys kill me!!! GH
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:09 PM   #3
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 74079
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
Nothing will work with shorts and a tee unless your belly roll will cover the gun. You trolls kill me. I can here it now from the girls--- I want to carry in my G-string bottom. What do you guys reccomend?? I guess if your ass crack is deep enough you could carry it there. If you need to carry at the beach you are going to the wrong beach!!! If you feel you need to carry you need to wear cloths capable of hiding the gun. You guys kill me!!! GH
What ? I conceal my xdm 45 compact just wearing a t shirt in a cbst and nobody can tell I have it. If the shirt is not too short and not to tight you should be fine
inanebignate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:18 PM   #4
XDTalk Member

Member #: 7360
Wow. Just wow. When I started carrying I was still in the army. At 6'2" and 185 lb I can assure you that there was no belly hiding my sidearm when I dressed in shorts ans a T-shirt. These days I'm much rounder than I was then. And it's harder now to conceal now with the belly than it was then when I was a fit infantryman. I carry my XDS now in shorts and T-shirt or polo all the time. The thin profile of the gun really hides easily. In jeans or heavier clothing I carry my XDM 3.8 .45 Compact.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-20-2012, 08:28 PM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 56604
You can get an IWB holster that will stay concealed when you carry an XD-S but just not a tight fitting shirt. An XD-M, just a little more problematic.
You have a bigger problem though. If you are not a seasoned pistol shooter the XD-S is not the best gun to learn on, ammo and range time are not cheap either. That being said the XD-M 3.8 Compact in 9mm may be right up your alley. Just a little heavier,wider and longer but in a good holster in side you waistband you may pull it off. I do and I don't cover it up with fat rolls either.
stvan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:33 PM   #6
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 57335
I carry a XDM compact 9mm, using a Crossbreed Supertuck holster and a Crossbreed belt. I am 5'9" 230 lbs. I can conceal just fine in a T-shirt and shorts. Well enough that I can carry for most of the day and my wife doesn't even notice. I carry at the 3:00 position. I did go up a jean size in most cases, some pairs I didn't have to. I wear the same size shirt as I did before, but I've never been into tight shirts in the first place. I do wear an undershirt, such as a "wife-beater", so the holster doesn't rub on me. It is definitely possible to conceal this gun with a T-shirt, although there are guns that would be easier. I am saving up for a Sig P938 that I can carry easier in the summer months, but for right now, I am completely happy with the XDM. Watch out for some of the die-hards on here. Some think that you can only wear button-down Hawaiian shirts or be all decked out in 5.11 gear to conceal a firearm. Others realize that a T-shirt does the same fricking thing!

Also, you may check out the S&W Shield. I have never personally handled or shot one, but I have seen excellent reviews regarding this firearm, and it is similar in size to the XDS. Just a thought.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:16 AM   #7
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 66064
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarnstuff View Post
This will be first handgun. I like the double stack better (fit of the hand) vs XDS but both are nice. However, the budget will only support one gun. I worry about concealment. I am 6 ft. 225lbs. My typical summer dress is shorts and tee shirt. I'd appreciate advice on which as it I can afford this purchase only once.

You can carry either one. I own both & can CC both in shorts & a t-shirt. No spandex though. I prefer the XDS because it is a little easier to hide & my pants fit better!

Here are a couple pics of the XDS & XDM 3.8" .45 compact
Attached Thumbnails
XDM 3.8 Compact vs. XDS-xds-vs-xdm-compact-006.jpg   XDM 3.8 Compact vs. XDS-xds-vs-xdm-compact-003.jpg   XDM 3.8 Compact vs. XDS-xds-vs-xdm-compact-005.jpg   XDM 3.8 Compact vs. XDS-xds-vs-xdm-compact-007.jpg  
richeyo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:08 AM   #8
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 77921
those pics really make me want to get the xds now, i hope it comes out in 40sw soon
Old 08-21-2012, 05:22 AM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 71126
The XD40SC I carry here in San Antonio is concealable depending on the holster you use. I recently discovered the Sticky holster.

In shorts with a normal belt and a baggy t-shirt, the sub-compact is concealable. I know you said you are doing an XDm, but I think they are thinner than the XD models. I could be totally wrong, but they feel thinner IMO.

Oh, I'm 5'3 and weigh 200lbs+ = phat.

KD5ZMG
aka Mark C

"The Dalai Lama said acts of violence should be remembered, and then forgiveness should be extended to the perpetrators. But if someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, he said, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. Not at the head, where a fatal wound might result. But at some other body part, such as a leg." -- Dalai Lama The Seattle Times May 15, 2001

Tha's it Lama, make'em suffer, maybe they will learn not to do it again...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
kd5zmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:02 AM   #10
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 75851
Thanks everyone for the advise.

guitarnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk

Search tags for this page
springfield xdm vs xds
springfield xds vs xdm
springfield xds vs xdm compact
xd vs xdm vs xds
xdm 3.8 vs xds

xdm 45 compact vs xds

xdm 9mm compact vs xds

xdm compact vs xds

xdm vs xds

xdm vs xds 9mm
xds 45 vs xdm 45 compact

xds vs xdm

xds vs xdm 3.8

xds vs xdm compact

xds vs xdm subcompact
Click on a term to search for related topics.