• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

How long until the slide is

This is a discussion on How long until the slide is within the General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk forums, part of the XD Talk category; Less difficult to rack? Fine for me, but my wife loves the gun and has a problem racking the slide. Someone at the range let ...

Old 06-26-2012, 09:14 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 75525
How long until the slide is

Less difficult to rack?

Fine for me, but my wife loves the gun and has a problem racking the slide.

Someone at the range let her rack the slide on a glock 19 that probably has 10000 rounds through it and she liked the ease with which she could rack the slide.

Also, I have a 4.5 XDm.
Would the 3.8 be different due to the different recoil spring design?

Thanks in advance.
Jakal3932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-26-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 71601
If it's new, I would say NO, a 3.8 would not make it any easier.
The ease of this just comes with time, and practice. Even though it may be difficult for her, there may be ways for her to improve her technique. One example, racking the slide (with muzzle in safe direction of course) with each hand moving in opposing force instead of holding the gun with one hand and using the (usually weak) other to pull on the slide away from the shooting hand.
Alternatively there are also things like grip tape to help her keep a hold on the slide better.

edit:// Also, in comparison. My first carry gun which was a kel-tec pf9 I found more difficult to rack than my current XD40sc.
I think this is primarily due to the size of the slide, the XD having more "meat" to grip. I bought my 40sc new, and after a few hundred rounds found it slightly more smooth and seemingly easier to rack. I'm up around 800 rounds now and it's just natural to me.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:33 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 69159
I had just posted about something similar to this, they make pegs and hooks, usually it is a new back plate, or can be attached somehow, and makes racking the slide easier.

Also, new lighter spring could help out, in which case, you would have to adjust the loads you are shooting to be just a tad bit lighter.

I remember when I first got my 4.5 xdm and the spring for the slide seemed to be a bit stiff, however, after much shooting, and lots of practice, it has broken it since, works like a charm now.

I would just continue to practice and use it. GOOD LUCK!
WidowMaker88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:00 PM   #4
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 75371
I had the same issue with my wife and our (new) XD 9mm SC.
I contacted Springfield customer service and asked about changing the recoil spring. The response was that changing the spring was not recommended, and that the effort to rack the slide would diminish after the weapon had been used, but did not specify a round count.
Best wishes
bijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:45 AM   #5
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 7918
XDs do tend to be a little stiff to rack, my Bersa 45 however is almost effortless.
Uzi, Sterling MK6, GSG-5.
Bersa Thunder 45, CZ75-SP01 Tactical, CZ75 Compact 40, DW CBOB 10mm,USP Custom Combat40, SA-1911,
XD-9 Service, XD-9SC Black, XD-9SC Bi-Tone, XD-40 Service Bi-tone, XD-45C Dark Earth, XD-45C Tactical Black,
Sig P228x2, Sig P220, Sig Mosquito, Steyr M9, Walther P-22, Beretta 92FS Inox
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:32 AM   #6
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 38424
Have her try holding the slide with one hand and pushing the frame foward with the other. Instead of trying to pull the slide back. Might work better for her.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:45 AM   #7
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 31126
Welcome aboard, Jakal3932!
It's kinda hard to answer that one difinitively.
I'm going on the assumption that the difficulty with racking the slide is occuring while there is a fully loaded magazine inserted.
In the interim, before it finally does become easier, she could just load the magazine with the slide locked back; then, slingshot the slide to chamber the first round. Alternatively, try loading one less round into the magazine until it is easy enough to operate the slide. Either way, the springs will break-in and it will eventually become easier to work the slide on a full magazine.
Good luck and stay safe!

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government ~ Thomas Jefferson

A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined. ~George Washington

We are a free people living under a republic of our own construction. We may consent to be governed, but we will not be ruled. ~Kevin D. Williamson

NRA
katokahn99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:37 AM   #8
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 56227
my sub compact was pretty stiff when i first got it but it did wear in after a bit. shooting it will loosen it up or just get some snap caps and do some ftf drills if you cant shoot as much as youd like.

heres a video (done by a woman) you may find useful. some other posters have described this technique but it may help to see it done.

-Charlie
: "Candy Apple Island? Whatta they got there?"
-Carl
: "Apes. But they're not so big"
HowardMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:04 AM   #9
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 74142
I remember Sons of Guns putting a charging handle on a Glock but I think they were handicapped. Like others have mentioned, stay away from the "slingshot" technique. All four fingers on the slide with the weak hand, finger out of the trigger guard on the strong hand and rack that thang! If her weak hand really doesn't have enough strength for that just have her practice with an empty gun or snap caps
Old 06-27-2012, 11:40 AM   #10
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 7918
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardMan View Post
my sub compact was pretty stiff when i first got it but it did wear in after a bit. shooting it will loosen it up or just get some snap caps and do some ftf drills if you cant shoot as much as youd like.

heres a video (done by a woman) you may find useful. some other posters have described this technique but it may help to see it done.

Racking a Slide With Weak Hands - YouTube
In the video if you substitute your thumb for the palm you'd be much better off.
Uzi, Sterling MK6, GSG-5.
Bersa Thunder 45, CZ75-SP01 Tactical, CZ75 Compact 40, DW CBOB 10mm,USP Custom Combat40, SA-1911,
XD-9 Service, XD-9SC Black, XD-9SC Bi-Tone, XD-40 Service Bi-tone, XD-45C Dark Earth, XD-45C Tactical Black,
Sig P228x2, Sig P220, Sig Mosquito, Steyr M9, Walther P-22, Beretta 92FS Inox
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk

Search tags for this page

gun slide grip tape

how do i loosen the slide on my handgun
how do i loosen up the slide on my pf9
how long till xd
how to loosen slide on springfield xd 9

how to loosen xd rack

is the slide on a springfield xd easy for a women to rack
kel tec pf9 hard to rack
loosen the slide on a handgun
racking gun to loosen spring
racking the slide on glock for first round
slide on pf9 is very haed

snap caps to loosen slide

springfield xd subcompact hard to rack
xd9 subcompact slide hard to move
xd9sc hard to rack the slide
Click on a term to search for related topics.