• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

XD vs XDM ?

This is a discussion on XD vs XDM ? within the General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk forums, part of the XD Talk category; I went back to 2008 on here and I didn't get the answer that I was looking for? I know that the (M) stand for ...

Old 11-09-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 65086
XD vs XDM ?

I went back to 2008 on here and I didn't get the answer that I was looking for? I know that the (M) stand for match, so other than the match grade barrel and a few cosmectic features what is the big difference?
In my reading I kinda got confused, several guys said (M) right off without a doubt! I wasn't foresure if those that had jumped in with the (M) had actucaly shot the XD and then shot the XDM and I don't mean a few mags threw each! I also read where a guy said that they were totaly different guns, and I don't buy that at all!!
I have owned 1911's since 1973 and have owned the Officers Model, Commander model and of course the Goverment model, they all have there place! But if some one ask me what was better a 1911A1 or a 70's series I would not be able to answer, but if I was ask which one was better a 70's or a 80's I can tell you the 70's and there are answers to that.
Thanks for your time.
Greg
acelungger is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-09-2011, 06:49 PM   #2
XDTalk Member

Member #: 53206
XD-M :

- match grade barrel
- slightly higher mag capacity
- improved trigger
- better ergonomics (more aggressive slide serrations, thinner slide, grip texture is better, slide stop is improved)
- adjustable back straps
- no dry fire to disassemble
Stol3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:59 PM   #3
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 64839
I'm absolutely lovin' my 3.8 9mm XDm !!! I just got some more ammo, so I'm going back to the range on Saturday !! woo-hoo !!
Jimbo519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:02 PM   #4
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
XD.

The only thing the M is for is More Money.

(Had an XDm. Have an XD. The XD is, imho, a better pistol).

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:13 PM   #5
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 15395
Having owned both, I like em both. Biggest advantage of the M is the changeable backstraps, imo. For those with exceptionally small or large hands, its a nice feature to be able to customize the grip size. Myself and others here have found that both models shoot with similar accuracy, so don't get too hung up on the match barrel aspect.

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ!
SpringerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:16 PM   #6
XDTalk 80K Member

Member #: 14053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
XD.

Once again I find myself agreeing with Cuda!
Old 11-09-2011, 07:20 PM   #7
AKC
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 41665
I'd say improved trigger is a stretch.

I owned both the XDM 4.5 and XD Service. Still have the Service. Both are great guns however. You just have to way the cost difference for what you get.

I will say that the grip texture and shape of the grip are a definite improvement. Especially on a hot sweaty day. I ended up putting grip tape on my XD Service because it was more slick when my hands got sweaty.

It's a sleeker, sexier looking gun and 20 rounds of 9mm is pretty cool. But I can also get Mec-Gar 18 round mags for my XD Service making it 19 rounds. That's not bad either.

I like to carry a full size gun. The XD Service won in that respect for me because the grip is a little shorter as well as the barrel. This was before the 3.8 C came out.

Now the 3.8 C is almost the perfect all around gun for carry and the range in my opinion. I don't own one. I've been too happy with my XD Service to make the jump back to the XDM line.

I'd like to see them do an essentials package for the XDM like the XD to reduce the cost a little. Because the holster and mag pouch really aren't that great and you'll want to upgrade those anyway.

Just my 2.

When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty.

-Benjamin Franklin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
AKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:24 PM   #8
AKC
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 41665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
XD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugger6 View Post
Once again I find myself agreeing with Cuda!

Well maybe that's why I let my XDM go even with a trigger job and night sights.

I ended up liking the XD better. Even though it is bone stock. Still is. And the fact that my girl and I could share mags.

When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty.

-Benjamin Franklin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
AKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:35 PM   #9
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 65218
I love my XD. All comes down to what works best for people.
xM3RC1L3SS1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:50 PM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 15212
Quote:
Originally Posted by xM3RC1L3SS1x View Post
I love my XD. All comes down to what works best for people.
Completely agree with this statement, and others that sound similar - it's personal preference. I loved my XD's. Probably still would if I hadn't swapped them all out for XDm's, which I personally like better - notice it's just my personal opinion. Others have differing opinions.

Here is my take, which I wrote separately to cut and paste here after I saw your question earlier:

You are comparing entire families of pistols to each other. What exactly do you want a comparison of? There isn't an exact cross match in each family. For instance, in the XD family of pistols, you have the following:

XD Sub-Compact 3" in 9mm and .40
XD Service 4" in 9mm, .357 Sig, .40 and .45 ACP and GAP
XD Tactical 5" in 9mm, .357 Sig, .40 and .45 ACP and GAP

Then you also have :

XD Compact, which is a .45 ACP with a 4" or 5" barrel, but shortened grip
XD 45 ACP section, which lists other .45 ACP XD's, but highlights the 14 rounder.

Moving over to the XDm models, you can see a difference:

XDm 9mm, .40, .45 ACP in 4.5" barrel, full size grip
XDm 9mm and .40 in 3.8" barrel, full size grip
XDm 9mm, .40 and .45 ACP in 3.8" barrel, compact size grip (about like the subcompact XD length grip)
XDm 9mm, .40, and .45 ACP in 5.25" barrel, comp series

Note a few differences right off the bat:

1) No same size barrels to compare in the XD to XDm series. XD's have 3,4,5, and the XDm's have 3.8", 4.5" and 5.25". Think they don't make any difference? Some say yes, some say it's all in your imagination.

From personal experience I believe that the XDm Compact (3.8" barrel) has less muzzle jump, and is an easier weapon to handle and get back on target after each shot than the XD Subcompact - both in .40. I owned the XD-40 subcompact, and I now own the XDm-40 compact. The subcompact was a great little gun to shoot, and I really enjoyed it. However, I found it to be a very "snappy" weapon. I was just about to replace the barrel in it with a 4" ported barrel from EFK Firedragon, which I had been waiting on a LONG time to be released, when the XDm-40 compact caught my eye. Instead of buying a new barrel for my subbie, I just replaced it with the XDm compact, and I'm very happy with the results. It's still "snappy", but I find it easier to handle than the subbie.

The second weapons that I compared are my former XD-40 Tactical versus my newer XDm-40 4.5" full size. Both are fine weapons. However, due to accuracy in my Tactical (a problem several people I had shoot it commented on), I had replaced the XD barrel with a 6" EFK ported model in the XD. It was a great weapon, and fun to shoot. But the deciding factors - accuracy without having to use a huge barrel that extended from the front of the weapon by 1" with the ports. The EFK barrel was more accurate than the factory barrel, but I didn't care for the factory. I almost sold the ported barrel to replace it with a match barrel from either EFK or another manufacturer. The XDm was accurate right out of the box, and only getting better with time.

2) Magazine capacities - pretty different on the 9mm and .40 models. XDm's simply hold more - unless you are in California. .45's use the same magazines - XD or XDm. Pretty nice.

3) Changeable backstraps to adjust the grip feel on the XDm - not available on the XD.

4) You don't have to pull the trigger when disassembling the XDm. To disassemble the XD, you lock the slide back, push the slide disassembly lever up, release the slide, pull the trigger, and pull the slide off. On the XDm, it's the same minus pulling the trigger.

5) Grip safety and grip angle, USA Trigger system, striker status and loaded chamber indicators are basically the same on both XDm and XD's. The XDm is supposed to have a better trigger with shorter reset. I can't really tell much of a difference, but I do know that the XDm triggers seemed to "break in" much faster than their XD counterparts in my comparisons.

6) No .357 Sig or .45 GAP models in XDm family.

Oh yeah... the XDm has that little "m" at the end.

Hope this helps.
All the best,
Glenn
XDs9 4.0 (all black)
cajuntec is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk

Search tags for this page
compare springfield xd and xdm
sa xd vs xdm
springfield xd versus xdm
springfield xd vs xdm
springfield xdm vs xd
xd or xdm
xd service vs xdm
xd versus xdm

xd vs xdm

xd vs xdm accuracy
xd vs. xdm
xdm vs xd
xdm vs xds
xdm vs. xd
xds vs xdm
xdvs
Click on a term to search for related topics.