• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Looking for info before purchase

This is a discussion on Looking for info before purchase within the General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk forums, part of the XD Talk category; Hello everyone! I just joined last night and after such a warm welcome and some browsing, I desided to jump right on in.... I'm not ...

Old 11-01-2011, 09:00 AM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 64992
Looking for info before purchase

Hello everyone! I just joined last night and after such a warm welcome and some browsing, I desided to jump right on in.... I'm not a noob to shooting, but this will be my first purchase...

My first question.... I read last night about fine spot rusting on the stainless xd which is what im looking at... Has there been any correlation between the people having the rust and the part of the country they live in, or a certain storage method being used? Im trying to narrow this down a bit more...
JPerkMr954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-01-2011, 10:30 AM   #2
XDTalk Member

Member #: 46566
I live in the Pacific Northwest, an admittedly wet, humid part of our great nation. I own several firearms, both stainless and not. I have never had a problem with rust on any of my guns, either pistols or long guns.

Modern firearm finishes are great at preventing rust, but even stainless metals are not rust proof. I routinely clean them and wipe them down with a silicone impregnated gun cleaning cloth. While carrying my pistols, they are seldom if ever, exposed directly to moisture. Concealed carry means to me, no exposure to moisture as well as to casual visual observation.

On my older guns, those with a shiny blued finish, I apply car wax to the exterior surfaces. Internal friction surfaces are protected with more traditional methods including gun oil. A couple of those firearms were carried for several years exposed to the elements, when I was a uniformed police officer, with never a spot of rust. My beloved S&W model 19 (no dash) has served me faithfully since 1971, with never a spot of rust.

When not being carried, my firearms are locked in one of three safes located in the interior of my home, in a dedicated room for that purpose. The safes are well stocked with silica jell packets, which absorb any moisture that might make it past my HVAC system. There are other more sophisticated moisture control products available, but the silica jell has always worked well for me.
Retired Police Detective '71 - '01

U.S. Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved
pioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:02 AM   #3
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 50872
Don't have the stainless model, but heard there have been reports of rust spotting. Nothing too serious and not experienced on every gun. Seems easily fixable by either a good wipe down with silicone cloth, rubbing a little oil, etc. . .

a little care goes a long way.
sschrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:13 AM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 27723
Some folks tend to believe stainless is rust proof and i've even heard of guys wiping their stainless guns down with brake cleaner....

Stainless needs to be taken care of too, I suspect the ones who had some rust did not use ANY oil or used cleaners which removed all the oil and thus rust formed.
Destructo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:20 AM   #5
XDTalk Member

Yea it doesnt seem that it occurs on every stainless model, but im trying to understand who it occurs to and why...
I live in south florida... and there is humidity here... but i know that rust occurs on cars up north... not down here... so i'm thinking i might not have much issues...
I did read though that this occured to people who kept the weapon in the stock foam lined case as well... Im not sure why it would be going back in the case if this is from CCW or home defense... but i guess there are reasons... I just am trying to see if i should change my thoughts and go with all black..
Old 11-01-2011, 11:28 AM   #6
XDTalk 35K Member

Member #: 15886
Typically, rust forms on Stainless Steel, due to surface contamination.
Keep surfaces clean, and your potential for rust is greatly reduced.

Also,
Never use plain old steel wool to remove surface rust from Stainless.
You will embed microscopic pieces of steel wool in the surface of the stainless, and the potential for rust to form will be greater.
AZXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:36 AM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 64837
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPerkMr954 View Post
I live in south florida... and there is humidity here... but i know that rust occurs on cars up north... not down here... so i'm thinking i might not have much issues...
Rust happens/happened on northern cars due to the use of salt on the roadways. It happens less in SoFla because you're not driving around on roads splashing ionized fluid all over your vehicle (unless you like driving in the ocean ). Like others have said, keep your metal protected. With your gun that means your lube/oil of choice.
brennahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:40 AM   #8
XDTalk Member

Member #: 62936
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPerkMr954 View Post
Yea it doesnt seem that it occurs on every stainless model, but im trying to understand who it occurs to and why...
I did read though that this occured to people who kept the weapon in the stock foam lined case as well... Im not sure why it would be going back in the case if this is from CCW or home defense... but i guess there are reasons... I just am trying to see if i should change my thoughts and go with all black..
*edit - brennahm beat me to it!!
Sorry, I don't know anything about the rust issues on the gun.... but as far as the cars up north vs. where you live - it's due to the cold winters, they use salt (sometimes sand) on the roads to take care of the snow and ice.... the cars tires kick that stuff into the body of the car as well as the whole underside. It causes areas for the rust to form and get out of control quickly especially with the rest of the humidity.

You could always go all black and have the slide refinished (I saw a thread in here somewhere with photos of the different color options - they look amazing and you won't have to worry about rust... but it's probably a lot more than just getting the bi-tone).

Good luck man!
jemrey81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:43 AM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 64742
Buy an all black one and have the slide refinished with whatever you want ( ion charge, Duracoat, KG Gunkote,etc) in whatever color you want for generally cheaper than the price difference and you won't have to worry about rust.
rdrage73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:45 AM   #10
XDTalk Member

I would never think to use an abrasive product to it, I would assume you just need to remove particals that can land on the slide like metal shavings and such... I see people stating that wiping down the gun with a slightly lubricated cloth can prevent this.. I am going to call SA also to see what findings they have about it...
Are most of the occurances of this rust issue found up north or does it also happen down south? Also is the foam in the case really a issue?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk

40cal, stainless, sub compact

Search tags for this page
cz75 sp01 gun briefcase foam
do police officers carry stainless guns

how to remove etching from stainless steel slide

why does metal particals rust on stainless steel?
Click on a term to search for related topics.