• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Looking for info before purchase

This is a discussion on Looking for info before purchase within the General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk forums, part of the XD Talk category; Originally Posted by JPerkMr954 I would never think to use an abrasive product to it, I would assume you just need to remove particals that ...

Old 11-01-2011, 01:48 PM   #11
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 7918
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPerkMr954 View Post
I would never think to use an abrasive product to it, I would assume you just need to remove particals that can land on the slide like metal shavings and such... I see people stating that wiping down the gun with a slightly lubricated cloth can prevent this.. I am going to call SA also to see what findings they have about it...
Are most of the occurances of this rust issue found up north or does it also happen down south? Also is the foam in the case really a issue?
The foam can retain moisture, but if you HAVE to keep it in the case for long periods of time I suspect spraying the bare foam down with a lube will prevent the problem.
Uzi, Sterling MK6, GSG-5.
Bersa Thunder 45, CZ75-SP01 Tactical, CZ75 Compact 40, DW CBOB 10mm,USP Custom Combat40, SA-1911,
XD-9 Service, XD-9SC Black, XD-9SC Bi-Tone, XD-40 Service Bi-tone, XD-45C Dark Earth, XD-45C Tactical Black,
Sig P228x2, Sig P220, Sig Mosquito, Steyr M9, Walther P-22, Beretta 92FS Inox
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-01-2011, 02:34 PM   #12
XDTalk Member

Member #: 64992
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrage73 View Post
Buy an all black one and have the slide refinished with whatever you want ( ion charge, Duracoat, KG Gunkote,etc) in whatever color you want for generally cheaper than the price difference and you won't have to worry about rust.
I was reading into this... about how much does this cost because if its more than the difference in black to the stainless.. it might not be worth it...
JPerkMr954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:24 PM   #13
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 61464
I dwell in the deeeeeeeeeep south. Have a SS XDm with no rust issues after 2.5 years. I do make it a point to keep the slide wiped down though.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:01 PM   #14
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 38362
I wonder if some folks initially thought, "It's stainless, no worries" then failed to oil it like normal?

It is counter intuitive that a "stainless" gun is more prone to rust!

Tactical black cat - sleeps in doorways

A right unused become a privilege for the ruling class.

john_bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:04 PM   #15
XDTalk Member

Well Guys.... I decided to call SA and I spoke with a wonderfully helpful rep over there...
It was said, as you guys did, to keep the gun oiled up as to prevent from rust on the side..(I asked about silicone cloths and this was said as good to use- but how often to do so wasnt able to be told) and as you're im sure but I was not aware, they do offer lifetime warantee.. so if it did you probably could get it refinished (didnt confirm- said you'd have to send it in)
So they offered to speak to the techs to give me manufacturer information about how to store it and minimize the possibility of this occuring on the SS. I mean I could buy the black and have the slide done... but for my first one, I dont want to have to go thru that- which is a big reason cosmetically why I like the XD.. Aside from the excellent reviews about durability and reliability...
I'll provide any information I am given from SA once I get it!!
Old 11-01-2011, 04:12 PM   #16
XDTalk 35K Member

Member #: 15886
Quote:
Well Guys.... I decided to call SA and I spoke with a wonderfully helpful rep over there...
It was said, as you guys did, to keep the gun oiled up as to prevent from rust on the side..(I asked about silicone cloths and this was said as good to use- but how often to do so wasnt able to be told) and as you're im sure but I was not aware, they do offer lifetime warantee.. so if it did you probably could get it refinished (didnt confirm- said you'd have to send it in)
So they offered to speak to the techs to give me manufacturer information about how to store it and minimize the possibility of this occuring on the SS. I mean I could buy the black and have the slide done... but for my first one, I dont want to have to go thru that- which is a big reason cosmetically why I like the XD.. Aside from the excellent reviews about durability and reliability...
I'll provide any information I am given from SA once I get it!!
If you want the Stainless version ... Buy it !!!

Darn near every problem I have ever heard of with any firearm, or mechanical device, is the result of the owner's maintenance procedures, or modifications.

All you really need to do is realize that mixing ferrous metal with stainless (my steel wool example, above) will cause problems, and that Stainless is actually just a classification that exists with a ferrous metal that has a high chromium level to offset the aspect of becoming etched via a contaminant.

Translation = If you treat (maintain) a stainless metal in the same fashion that you treat any other ferrous metal, you'll not have any problems.
AZXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:31 PM   #17
XDTalk Member

Member #: 64581
Stainless can rust, depends on the grade....

As others stated maintain it - you'll never have an issue...
The biggest problem is that Gunpowder is corrosive and if left uncleaned, it will begin to eat the metal.
Warpdrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:55 PM   #18
Old Timer

Member #: 60337
Get the one you want and just take care of it. You should be fine.
OKcherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:20 PM   #19
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 64742
Quote:
I was reading into this... about how much does this cost because if its more than the difference in black to the stainless.. it might not be worth it...
It ranges in price according to what exactly you want done.
There are plenty of shops that do Duracoat, KG Gunkote, mally, Ion Charge, etc. but James at Welcome is the cheapest I found.
rdrage73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:27 AM   #20
XDTalk Member

Thank you everyone... I'm just going to purchase the SS... I want to find another way to store it aside from the case it comes with because of the foam attracting and retaining moisture... because this is going to be on me or out 99% of the time... or in a holster at night... so i'll just do what i need to... wiping the slide every few days...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk

40cal, stainless, sub compact

Search tags for this page
cz75 sp01 gun briefcase foam
do police officers carry stainless guns

how to remove etching from stainless steel slide

why does metal particals rust on stainless steel?
Click on a term to search for related topics.