• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Slide didn't lock back on my XDM

This is a discussion on Slide didn't lock back on my XDM within the General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk forums, part of the XD Talk category; I have a new XD(M) 9mm with the 4.5" barrel. On my most recent trip to the range I did have one minor issue and ...

Old 10-07-2011, 08:54 AM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 63140
Slide didn't lock back on my XDM

I have a new XD(M) 9mm with the 4.5" barrel. On my most recent trip to the range I did have one minor issue and I wanted to get some advice from everyone on what the cause might be. At the end of shooting through the second mag the slide failed to lock back after all the rounds had been shot. All the rounds fired fine and I was able to eject the mag and put in a full one and keep shooting. However, I was wondering what could be the cause.

I've only been able to take out to the range twice so far and have put 200 rounds through it. All the rounds have fired fine and I have had no other issues. This is probably minor but I wanted to post it just in case.

Thanks,
Scott
scottvt98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-07-2011, 09:27 AM   #2
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 23108
Right handed? Most likely your thumb is holding the slide lock down. That's usualy the problem esp. with first-time XD owners. It is way too doubtful that your mag springs or followers are worn out yet.

Just change up your thumb position a little.

Douglas MacArthur
KenW. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:34 AM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 48634
Im not even sure why it matters if it does or does not lock back, but a lot of people have issues with it, as already stated likely touching silde release while shooting. For me i dont let it lock back for competition shooting.
jcj81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:38 AM   #4
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 63140
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenW. View Post
Right handed? Most likely your thumb is holding the slide lock down. That's usualy the problem esp. with first-time XD owners. It is way too doubtful that your mag springs or followers are worn out yet.

Just change up your thumb position a little.
That's funny that you said that. I'm actually left handed but this happen when my friend was shooting it. I'll have to check if he is right handed.
scottvt98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:21 PM   #5
AKC
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 41665
Thumbing.

When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty.

-Benjamin Franklin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
AKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:26 PM   #6
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 53491
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcj81 View Post
Im not even sure why it matters if it does or does not lock back, but a lot of people have issues with it, as already stated likely touching silde release while shooting. For me i dont let it lock back for competition shooting.
Why wouldn't it matter? If it's supposed to do it then I would expect it to.

OP: Like others have said it's probably from thumbing the slide stop.
dhunley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:27 PM   #7
XDTalk 1K Member

OP said he'd a southpaw. What else can it be?

Douglas MacArthur
Old 10-07-2011, 02:32 PM   #8
AKC
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 41665
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenW. View Post
OP said he'd a southpaw. What else can it be?
Guess you didn't read the part where the OP said it did it when his friend shot it.

When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty.

-Benjamin Franklin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
AKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:34 PM   #9
XDTalk 1K Member

I interpeted that as "it happened to my right handed friend too". Perhaps I shouldn't read into it. In which case, HE doesn't have a problem; his friend does.

Douglas MacArthur
Old 10-07-2011, 02:52 PM   #10
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 44190
Typically this is cause by shooter interference with the pistol's controls while shooting. Occam's Razor demands we eliminate this as being the cause before we start going to great lengths to figure out something that may or may not be the cause.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk

malfunction, range, xdm 4.5

Search tags for this page
slide didn't lock back
slide doesn't lock
springfield xdm slide not locking back
taurus pt145 slide doesn't lock back
xdm 3.8 doesn't lock back after last round
xdm mag is not locking back after last shot
xdm not locking open
xdm slide
xdm slide doesn't lock back
xdm slide doesnt lock
xdm slide lock

xdm slide not locking back

Click on a term to search for related topics.