• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Slide didn't lock back on my XDM

This is a discussion on Slide didn't lock back on my XDM within the General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk forums, part of the XD Talk category; I checked with my friend and he is right handed so he probably had his thumb on the slide release lever. I think I will ...

Old 10-07-2011, 03:01 PM   #11
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 63140
I checked with my friend and he is right handed so he probably had his thumb on the slide release lever. I think I will assume that is the reason unless I see it happen again.

Thanks for all the help!

Scott
scottvt98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-07-2011, 03:52 PM   #12
XDTalk Member

Member #: 60438
My thumb will hit the slide release quite often as I have large hands and long fingers. I dont consider it an issue, I just have to remember I'm not shooting one of my 1911's and adjust my grip accordingly.
Smoker03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:09 AM   #13
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 54676
Slide release issues

Look this is a very simple problem, one that is bought up WAY to much in these forums, and ultimately is SA fault. It's one of two things either when you are gripping the gun you are depressing the slide release so that it can't catch the slide on the last round fired. Many would argue that this is a result of user error. I disagree 100%. I own many other handguns from other manufacturers springfield simply placed the slide release HORRIBLY. The other option, I'm more convinced this is is your issue, your magazine spring has lost it's strength and no longer fully extends when your magazine is empty which isn't allowing your slide release to fully move up and catch the slide on the last round. This is also SA armory's fault. I love SA, but the more and more I use my XDm the more and more I'm starting to dislike it.
SigP226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:44 AM   #14
XDTalk Member

Member #: 59128
jcj81

You state that for competition you don't let the slide lock back? Why could you possibly want to do this? Do you intentionally want to do slow speed reloads? Just the round counting and the occasional trigger press on an empty chamber has to cost you time in a match. I always do my reloads from slide lock and thumb the slide release for my quickest speed reloads.

Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcj81 View Post
Im not even sure why it matters if it does or does not lock back, but a lot of people have issues with it, as already stated likely touching silde release while shooting. For me i dont let it lock back for competition shooting.
Star Ultrastar
Glock 17
HK USP
Colt AR15
XDM9guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #15
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 53419
I had the same problem with my 3.8 compact. Everyone said it was me thumbing it but the problem happened with multiple shooters. SA said the slide was dry so all the friction was causing it to not lock back. May want to check into that and also might want to leave it locked back for awhile to loosen up the spring.

If you can't solve the problem send it back and SA will take care of it for you just make sure to include a note indicating exactly what's wrong as they have poor listening skills.
bogman2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:14 AM   #16
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 31126
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigP226 View Post
Look this is a very simple problem, one that is bought up WAY to much in these forums, and ultimately is SA fault. It's one of two things either when you are gripping the gun you are depressing the slide release so that it can't catch the slide on the last round fired. Many would argue that this is a result of user error. I disagree 100%. I own many other handguns from other manufacturers springfield simply placed the slide release HORRIBLY. The other option, I'm more convinced this is is your issue, your magazine spring has lost it's strength and no longer fully extends when your magazine is empty which isn't allowing your slide release to fully move up and catch the slide on the last round. This is also SA armory's fault. I love SA, but the more and more I use my XDm the more and more I'm starting to dislike it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogman2121 View Post
I had the same problem with my 3.8 compact. Everyone said it was me thumbing it but the problem happened with multiple shooters...
I am not disparaging either of you; but, it could also be due to limp wristing. i.e. the slide doesn't travel far enough back to even engage the catch. Not saying this is the case with either of you...just that it is possible. I am not saying that it isn't or can't be a spring issue either.
The same can happen if firing under-powered loads. It could also be that the slide catch/release lever is sticking or damaged.

SigP226,
If a driver happens to mash the clutch and break at the same time because his feet are too big for the sports car's pedal set-up (or he's just not used to this particular car)...is it a design flaw or just that the driver chose a product that either doesn't fit him or that he is unfamiliar with?
Is it a design flaw that issue M-16A2 and M-4 rifles eject right into the face of a left handed shooter?
Is it a design flaw that there is a minimum height to fly F-18s?
The first two can be overcome with training. Thumbing the slide release on the XD/XDm can also be overcome with training. It is not 100% a design flaw...it is unfamiliarity with the platform.

In the case of the XD/XDm slide release lever: Is it possible to train around the perceived flaw? Absolutely. I would have to disagree that it is 100% a design flaw.

bogman,
Was it happening with left handed shooters as well?

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government ~ Thomas Jefferson

A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined. ~George Washington

We are a free people living under a republic of our own construction. We may consent to be governed, but we will not be ruled. ~Kevin D. Williamson

NRA
katokahn99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:58 PM   #17
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 57676
This was the primary issue that I came to this forum to research, tonight. I just completed my CHL class two weeks ago. Of the three of us in the class, at least two of us were shooting SA guns (one XDM and one XD). We each shot 50 rounds to qualify, and each of us experienced a (at least one) failure to lock the slide back on empty. My recollection is that I emptied 3 magazines during this period, and I suspect my colleague did the same. That is a failure rate of at least 1:3, which seems suspiciously high. I can recall having this happen upon other occasions, too, though I've not attempted to keep a tally.

I've heard several possible explanations offered, thus far:
1) shooter's thumb (specifically a right hander, which I am) interfered with the slide lock latch
2) limp wrist shot (I don't think so. I shot really well. I have a good, solid, two-handed grip. And the other guy is big--doesn't seem the type to "limp" anything, IYKWIM...
3) insufficiently lubricated slide (hey, I thought these things were supposed to tolerate abuse!?! I clean my gun after every use, and I lightly lube my slide.)
4) magazine slide springs are too weak to engage the slide lock.

I'll definitely check my grip, next time I get my XDM out for dry fire practice. However, it is this last explanation that I wish to explore further. Having followed these XDM fora for a little while, now, I know of two other issues with XDM magazines. One issue reported is weak magazine springs ("heavy duty" replacements are sold, now), which reportedly cause this issue. The other is magazines that are difficult to impossible to load fully (19 rounds to full in my 9mm) without jamming (around 13 or 14, usually).

Is there anyone watching this thread who has alleviated either issue with the replacement "heavy duty" SA XDM magazines?
b1rdd0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:13 PM   #18
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 57676
Though I haven't seen any additions to this post, I thought I'd add some additional observations. I actually sent my XDM in to SA, partially, to report this very problem. In my last range visit just prior to sending in my gun, I had about 6/7 failures to lock open. However, even as I was packing my gun to ship, it occurred to me to try simply manually racking the slide back on each of my 5 empty, 19 rd magazines. I repeated this at least 10 times on each magazine. I could not make it fail to lock back! In my previous post, I mentioned 4 possible explanations for this malfunction. While speaking with SA about it, I realized a fifth, almost obvious, explanation: sub optimal ammo. The only type of ammo I have ever fired in this gun is the 115 gr. target ammo. I have used several manufacturer's products, by now, but all were 115 gr. bullets. (I usually buy what I can pick up for the lowest price, at the time.) In contrast, SA typically uses a 124 gr. round for their testing. Could a heavier, hotter round simply fling the slide back harder & farther? Likely so. That said, SA, after our discussion about bullet weight, went so far as to acquire some 115 gr. test rounds. Yet they were unable to get a single failure to lock the slide back on empty. In short, they found nothing about my gun that required repair. Interestingly, I've had the gun back on the range one time since I got it back from SA. I fired about 6 magazines (of the usual 115 gr. El Cheapos) through it, and I only had 1/6 malfunctions of this type. Before: 6/7. After: 1/6. That's a big difference, but it also shows that it is still going to happen--at least with this shooter. Was I thumbing the slide lock lever? Maybe--I've got a hard focus on the front sight. I'm unable to know what my thumb is doing while my concentration is elsewhere. I am not accustomed to quoting Mr. Occam, but thumbing still seems to be the best explanation for this phenomenon, if only by an iota.
b1rdd0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:14 AM   #19
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 66064
Like said above check thumb placement.
On you friend at least!
richeyo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #20
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 74710
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottvt98 View Post
All the rounds fired fine and I was able to eject the mag and put in a full one and keep shooting.
Based off of what this says, you still had one in the chamber.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk

malfunction, range, xdm 4.5

Search tags for this page
my xdm didnt fire the last round in the mag
slide didn't lock back
slide doesn't lock
springfield xd slide catch too big
springfield xdm slide not locking back
taurus pt145 slide doesn't lock back
xdm 3.8 doesn't lock back after last round
xdm 3.8 slide not locking after last shot
xdm doesnt lock open
xdm not locking open
xdm slide
xdm slide always locks back
xdm slide doesnt lock
xdm slide lock

xdm slide not locking back

Click on a term to search for related topics.