• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Looking for advice on what do first for a new XDM owner

This is a discussion on Looking for advice on what do first for a new XDM owner within the General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk forums, part of the XD Talk category; I like to give it a good lube with Tetra gun grease. But if your in a hurry, Drive to range. Remove from box Remove ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk » Looking for advice on what do first for a new XDM owner

Old 09-11-2011, 10:10 PM   #11
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 49858
I like to give it a good lube with Tetra gun grease. But if your in a hurry,

Drive to range.
Remove from box
Remove red tag.
Load.
Fire.

"So...they say you have a monster? A curse upon this land?? I am ripper, tearer, slasher, gouger. I am the teeth in the darkness, the challenge in the night. Mine is strength, and lust and power. I am Beowulf!"- Anglo-Saxon Nowell Codex

μολὼν λαβέ
N.E. Tx.XD is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-11-2011, 10:26 PM   #12
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 45813
The store I bought mine from had its own range. I went from the store, out to the car to get the 200 rounds I brought with me, back into the range.

Some people do have problems completely loading new magazines and some don't. If you can't get that last round into the mag, even with the mag loader, don't worry about it... You may be able to by the end of the range trip after exercising them a bit. For some, an "UpLula" (Universal Pistol MagLula) mag loader helps get that pesky last round (or last 2 rounds) into a brand new mag.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:44 AM   #13
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 38362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme Man View Post
Field Strip it.

Spray the slide down with a spray can of Break Free CLP or Rem Oil or Ballistol, let it soak

Spray the barrel down outside and inside

take a clean rag and wipe down the internals

Get a 9mm bore snake and run it through the barrel starting at the BREECH END not the muzzle end.

wipe the excess off the slide and barrel

put a dab of oil on the metal locking block in the center

Reassemble

Put a smidgen of oil on top of the breech or chamber of the barrel that sticks out in the ejection port.

Put a smidgen of oil on the top muzzle end of the barrel where it makes contact with the hole through the end of the slide.

Go shoot that sucker.
^ what he said.

Plus -

Take the magazines apart. Clean by pushing a clean rag through them. Inspect the plastic followers and if there are any goobers sticking out from the molding process, gently sand them smooth with extra fine paper. While you don't have to, I like to spray the followers and inside of the mags with 100% silicone spray. It's a bit more slippery and has no residue to collect gunk.

Yeah, you can just load it and go, but that's not as smart as performing the correct maintenance. There are no benefits from the grab and go but there are from the 4 minutes it takes to field strip, clean & oil. Maybe it's advanced age, but I just wasn't in such a hurry to fire it that precluded basic maintenance.

The full mag will seat with just pinky finger pressure IF you have the slide open. If the slide is closed, then you have to compress the stack of rounds against the full spring pressure. You can make it a LOT easier if you polish the top of the mag retention tab. Either remove it and polish or "insert, remove, repeat" 500 times with each full mag against a closed slide. You need to do all mags to polish both surfaces. Mine has been polished to a high shine from use and is way easier than when it was new

Tactical black cat - sleeps in doorways

A right unused become a privilege for the ruling class.

john_bud is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk

cleaning, newbie, xdm

Search tags for this page
benefit polishing internals xdm
do i need to clean a new xdm before firing
do i need to clean my new xdm gun before using it
do you oil the inside of a new xdm pistol gun barrel before shooting
does uplula need oil

first cleaning xdm

first firearm xdm

how to clean xdm barrel

how to polish xdm internals barrel

prepare xd-m 9mm for first use

should i clean my new xdm

things you can do to a xdm

what do i need to do with a new xd

xdm first cleaning

xdm out of box need oil

Click on a term to search for related topics.