• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

XDmC .40 vs. XDm .45

This is a discussion on XDmC .40 vs. XDm .45 within the General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk forums, part of the XD Talk category; I am looking to purchase my first pistol. Well, first gun period. I am considering the XDmC .40 cal or the XDm .45. My heart ...

Old 04-09-2011, 12:13 AM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 56665
XDmC .40 vs. XDm .45

I am looking to purchase my first pistol. Well, first gun period. I am considering the XDmC .40 cal or the XDm .45. My heart has always been set on having a .45 and I really would love to have one, however I want my first pistol to be convenient for a CCL. Any suggestions?
DudemanDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-09-2011, 01:07 AM   #2
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 54677
I know you say it is your first gun, but have you fired these calibers before? Best thing to do is to fire the guns you are debating, and decide from there. If you have shooting experience, you can pick which caliber you feel is best for your purpose, if not...go give 'em a try. They all have different feels, and they all will do the trick when placed correctly.

For conceal carry, smaller is more concealable...
KGP-161 Williams Firesights
Mossberg 500 12 gauge
Remington 11/87 Premier 20 gauge
Kimber Custom TLE II
Croesius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:14 AM   #3
XDTalk Member

I do understand that smaller is easier to conceal, but I want a much greater stopping power than, say, the 9mm. Everyone gets a 9. I don't want a 9. I plan to shoot both guns but I don't know how that will happen. How can I find someone who has one or both guns and will actually let me shoot them?
Old 04-09-2011, 02:27 AM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 48750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croesius View Post
I know you say it is your first gun, but have you fired these calibers before? Best thing to do is to fire the guns you are debating, and decide from there. If you have shooting experience, you can pick which caliber you feel is best for your purpose, if not...go give 'em a try. They all have different feels, and they all will do the trick when placed correctly.

For conceal carry, smaller is more concealable...
^What he said, the XDm 45 will be VERY hard to conceal, XDm40c much easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudemanDavid View Post
I do understand that smaller is easier to conceal, but I want a much greater stopping power than, say, the 9mm. Everyone gets a 9. I don't want a 9. I plan to shoot both guns but I don't know how that will happen. How can I find someone who has one or both guns and will actually let me shoot them?
Look for a range that will rent them. 9 has good enough stopping power BTW. Placement is more important than caliber. My recommendation to you would be to carry what you can shoot well. You can always buy a 1911 later, once you start with .45 you'll want one anyway. lol
"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." Thomas Jefferson

S&W Bodyguard .380
SW1911SC E-Series
funguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:23 AM   #5
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 56355
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudemanDavid View Post
guns don't have stopping power - bullets do. Here's one of my favorite 9mm stories:
Boar Hunting with Extreme Shock High Performance Ammunition
zenshootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:18 AM   #6
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 56670
My son in law just got the XDm .40 Compact and loves it, so does my daughter. She likes it so much that they are buying one for her as well.
tth_40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:33 AM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 56505
There are plenty defense rounds in 9mm that have stopping power. And if you can't hit for a damn, you have 20 rounds to miss with. If you don't want a 9mm that's fine, but it's a cheaper round to kill paper and has plenty of stopping power with a home defense round chambered.

Between, the other two, depends if you want a compact or not.
Jagrmaister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:39 AM   #8
XDTalk Member

I wish they made the XDm .45 in a compact model, but they don't. At least not yet. I love the short mag and mag extension option with the .40 3.8 and I am probably leaning toward that. I really don't want a 9mm. Yes, cheaper ammo, but really, whats a few bucks?
Old 04-09-2011, 05:27 PM   #9
XDTalk Member

Member #: 52045
I would recommend shooting them before you buy if you can; always a good idea.

You may want to look at the cost of ammo. 45 is expensive, 40 is cheaper and 9mm is the cheapest. If this is your first hand gun you should shoot it a lot. You want to become proficient so you can protect yourself and not shoot innocent people. Every round that does not hit the bad guy could hit a good guy and you would be responsible.

Just my 2 cents.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk

advice, beginner, ccl, xdm .40, xdm 45

Search tags for this page
.40 vs .45 price
.45 vs .40 cost
40 vs 45 price
xd 40 vs xd 45
xdm .40 vs .45 compact
xdm .40 vs .45 for first gun
xdm 40 compact vs xdm 45 compact
xdm 40 vs 45
xdm 40 vs xdm 45
xdm 45 vs xdm 40
xdm c vs xdm 40
xdm compact 40 vs 45
xdm-c cost

xdmc

xdmc vs xdm
xdmc40
Click on a term to search for related topics.