• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

XD Gun cleaning supplies

This is a discussion on XD Gun cleaning supplies within the General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk forums, part of the XD Talk category; When addressing a friend's complaints about his inability to clean his pistols thoroughly enough I initially decided to first zip over to XD talk for ...

Old 04-12-2006, 10:02 PM   #1
Oni
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 7999
XD Gun cleaning supplies

When addressing a friend's complaints about his inability to clean his pistols thoroughly enough I initially decided to first zip over to XD talk for suggestions before I got out and hunt down specific proaduct serial #s along with product names.
(I hate reading the small print on solvent boxes/containers because at first letters of commaon words tend to look like numbers and vice versa Grr!)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While silicone cloths are effective, well somewhat adequate for pistol cleaning, I'm planning on ordering the famous genuine microfiber rags I have heard much about with absolutely zero complaints reguarding their effectiveness and they do not damage, or harm the pistol in any way and hopefully I'll have some of these wonder cloths in my hands for my XDs in 5 days or so.

When it comes to cleaning rods which one is best? I have heard of copper and bronze brushed rods and seen them run about $5.00 to $6.00 at the cheapest L0L.

There are quite a few boresnakes out there and I've seen them run around $13.00 for the cheapies but initially, that turned me away and eventually, after some redundant, yet opulent, research that was very worthwhile, I stumbled upon hoppes boresnakes and cleaners which come highly suggested though I like to know what you guys think about them and other similar products so I can tell my friend and the cool guy in the lane next to me about them. ^.^

---------------

Suggestions are always welcome and I'm hoping to find the majority of the products online so they can be ordered directly to the purchaser's home(Thus this online query) instead of sending them on a Wal-Mart/ Gunsmith/Cabelas/Gander Mountatin wild goose chase.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:23 PM   #2
XDTalk 25K Member

Member #: 1698
I actually prefer the nylon bore brushes as I know this won't scratch anything and I can run them through a few times to loosen any powder.

I normally use an Otis kit, but also sometimes a cheap rod from Walmart with nylon or brass brushes and blue wonder gun cleaner. Get's it clean as can be.

A cheap Bore snake is also great for those, I don't feel like cleaning it right now times.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Krackels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 11:16 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 6681
When it comes to gun cleaning, I'm sure there are enough products out there that talking about them all would fill up this thread in no time. I personally use BreakFree CLP to clean my gun and Militec-1 to lube. I keep it pretty simple. If I had to offer any suggestions, it would be investing in detail tools. So, with that said, here is a list of items that I have found invaluable in my cleaning kit, but may not immediately come to mind for a cleaning kit.

1. Dental pick. Whether using it to scrape carbon off, or using it to work a rag into a hard-to-reach crevice, it's invaluable.

2. Q-Tips. Like the dental pick, the Q-Tip will not only get into hard to reach areas, but the white cotton tip will let you know if the weapon truly is clean.

3. Pipe cleaners. Great crevice cleaners that you can shape to get into pesky out of reach areas. Make sure you get the cotton ones, not your-kid's-nylon-craft-project ones.

4. Auto detailing brushes. Can be found in any Wal-Mart. Usually comes in a 3-pack with one steel bristle, one brass bristle and one nylon bristle. DO NOT USE THE STEEL BRISTLE ON YOUR FIREARM. The other two are VERY useful.

5. An old toothbrush. All those fancy heads they have on toothbrushes nowadays aren't just for reaching the back teeth...

6. A soft bristle (not nylon) paint brush. The last word in applying just the right amount of lube (whatever you use) as a nice, even film that doesn't over coat your gun.

7. An old cotton T-Shirt rag. Enough said.

These are just a couple of the items you will find extremely useful in cleaning a gun, and most can be found around your house, or in a store close to you. Don't break the bank spending money on every expensive little toy you find to clean your gun. Keep it simple.

Also, learn your gun. How does it get dirty? Where does carbon build up more than elsewhere? What are hard to clean areas? You will find that over time, you can give your gun a thorough cleaning in a short amount of time.

Para-Ordnance Hi-Cap Single Action 1911
XD 45ACP Service
MPSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 12:30 AM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 8292
1. Blue Wonder on most of the metal surfaces and inside the barrel.
2. Let it sit for about 10 minutes, then wipe it off.
3. CLP (Break-Free) on everything, then wipe it off with a rag, Q-tip and toothbrush.
4. Lubricate moving parts and rails with light coat of RemOil.
5. Blow it out with compressed gas.

As for inside the barrel, I run a copper brush through it, then Blue Wonder it, then run cotton rags through it with a rod until they come out clean, then do the same thing with some CLP and then leave it.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:19 AM   #5
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 7310
Field strip and throw it in the dishwasher (without plates, of course).
Afterwards, dunk the slide in 40weight.
Done.
Plinkomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 01:22 AM   #6
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 4732
"MPSoldier" beat me to it.

All the cleaning supplies are good. After a while everyone decides for themselves what they like best.

The two "must haves" than don't come in a basic kit are a toothbrush and q-tips...

Peace,
D.
Delija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 01:27 AM   #7
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 8041
Although it's not a cleaning supply, it's something that can be used when you have your gun apart for cleaning. A strong magnifying glass to inspect for any damage or cracks. Also I find those AA maglites with the fiber optic attatchment really handy too. Can get light down into places in the grip area and see if there's any crud you may have missed. Other than that I've switched to blue wonder products for cleaning. And as far as Q-tips go... get the actual Q-tip brand! While back home at my parents after shooting I cleaned my gun with the ones they had, and obviously they buy generic ones! The cotton just pulled apart and it was hard to clean. Q-tips stay together a lot better and don't leave near as many fibers as cheap ones do. Make sure to get the huge pack too, you'll use them up faster than you think if you shoot a lot!
jednp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 03:42 AM   #8
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 8526
After much research, I bought Poly Dunk-it from Cylinder and Slide. Field strip the gun, then put it in the Poly Dunk-it bucket. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes. Take the parts out, give them a quick brush with a toothbrush, then dunk them in again and shake around a little. Finish off by blowing out with compressed air. The only other thing I do is run a boresnake through the barrel after the inital dunking. The product works very well and is very easy to use.
High Noon Split Decision
SmartCarry
Blackhawk SERPA
CajunShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 03:48 AM   #9
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 6253
I like to pee down the loaded barrel of my pistols. The uric acid has an excellent cleaning effect on everything it touches. Be sure to wipe your face on the pistol after some "hot lovin'" to oil it down otherwise the uric acid may rust. If you want to go "all out" then be sure to "snot up" the locking block rails against the slide rails...you know what I'm talking about. Block one nostril, aim at slide and/or LB rail and blow hard through unblocked septum.

This will keep your XD in top A1 au natural conditiona.

Seriously....I have run one of my XD's 100% dry and dirty and have not had one problem yet. I won't say which one because I might sell it one day. Any buyers?

Batman could lube my XD and it would work 100%
Old 04-13-2006, 07:06 AM   #10
tec
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 3850
DJDan

thats just gross.
tec is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk

Search tags for this page
gun cleaning q-tips

gun cleaning supplies list

gun cleaning supplies q tips
gun cleaning supplies sa

gun cleaning supply list

list of gun cleaning supplies
list of handgun cleaning supplies
list of items for rifle cleaning
lost of gun cleaning supplies
pistol cleaning supply list
q tip vs gun cleaning
rifle cleaning supplies list
rifle cleaning supply list
xd forum
xdtalk cleaning supplies
xdtalk weapon cleaning supplies
Click on a term to search for related topics.