• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Having issues with the xd9 tactical sights

This is a discussion on Having issues with the xd9 tactical sights within the General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk forums, part of the XD Talk category; I have a xd9 tactical (everything stock) shooting 125g cmj rounds and I'm having a hard time with the sights. I thought i figured out ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk » Having issues with the xd9 tactical sights

Old 10-02-2010, 02:58 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 49066
Having issues with the xd9 tactical sights

I have a xd9 tactical (everything stock) shooting 125g cmj rounds and I'm having a hard time with the sights. I thought i figured out that it shoots at around a 12 o'clock hold (25yds). Today i was practicing on a plate rack (about 10yds) and I had to cover up the hole plate with the sights to the point i couldn't see the plate in order to hit it. Is this typical for xd's or have other people experienced this? Is this something that a gunsmith can fix? Is the only way to truly see how it shoots is shoot it off a bench rest?
Bore lasers?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
cali shot doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-02-2010, 03:52 PM   #2
AKC
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 41665
What's your experience with handguns? Yes, the best way to tell if it's you or the gun is to bench it. XD's are supposed to be sighted at 6 O'Clock hold at 25 yards.
AKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 05:03 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 38021
^^^ This. My XD Tac shoots at the six o'clock all day long.

What ammo are you using, this can play a part too.
1911XD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 05:07 PM   #4
AKC
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 41665
He's says he's shooting 125 gr CMJ? What the hell is that? An all copper bullet?
AKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 05:51 PM   #5
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 27336
Try different ammo. Heavier bullet or more powerful powder load could hit slightly higher at 25 yds, allowing you to do a more 6 oclock position of aiming.
Trijicon / PRP / PistolGear barrels / SuperTuck
NRA Endowment Member SAF Member
ThumperIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:50 PM   #6
XDTalk Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKC View Post
What's your experience with handguns? Yes, the best way to tell if it's you or the gun is to bench it. XD's are supposed to be sighted at 6 O'Clock hold at 25 yards.
I've shot off and on for the last few years but since my mother was diagnosed with cancer again I have started shooting a lot more. I have no issues shooting my uncles xd40 compact. I just got back from the local indoor range and shot off a rest in 5 shot strings. I focused a lot on trigger control and aim. I had tight groups but most a little left and low. At 10 yds I had to have my front site at the top of the whole target. About the same at 18yds. I had a buddy that works there shoot it and he had to do the same.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:55 PM   #7
XDTalk Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperIII View Post
Try different ammo. Heavier bullet or more powerful powder load could hit slightly higher at 25 yds, allowing you to do a more 6 oclock position of aiming.
I am shooting currently 125g fmj (company calls it cmj as in "complete metal jacket" but same as fmj) reloads by a local company called MIWALL CORP. When I was shooting 115g rounds from them, it was still a 12 oclock hold but I was more consistent. I'm running the stock recoil spring.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:57 PM   #8
Official Site Vendor

Member #: 1513
All ammo has a trajectory that is an arch so the bullet moves up then down at certain distances.
ajamesp51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:15 PM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 38021
Give Springfield a call. It is possible you need a different height front site, if so, SA might cover it.
1911XD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:28 PM   #10
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 27336
The barrel is oriented to impart a slight rise to the bullet path alone the LOS (line of sight). If sighted correctly at 25 yds, the bullet trajectory of most 9mm pistol ammo will be rising out to about 20-22 yds. It will cross the LOS on a rising path between 15 and 20 yds out and travel above the LOS briefly after which the path begins to drop, recrossing the LOS at 25yds and continuing to drop below the sight line farther out.
How large are your targets that you have to aim at the top of the target or was it meant as top of the bullseye? Is this a matter of an inch or so or more like 6 or more inches? Where does it hit relative to aim point at 25 yds from a stable rest?
Trijicon / PRP / PistolGear barrels / SuperTuck
NRA Endowment Member SAF Member
ThumperIII is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk

sights, xd9

Search tags for this page

12 o'clock hold

9mm bullet drop 25 yards

best xd-9 tactical sights

bore sight for xd-9
how to shoot xd9 tactical

how to use sights on xd 9

sights for xd9
xd 9 tactical

xd 9 tactical sights

xd-9 sights

xd9 laser bore sight

xd9 sights

xd9 tactical

xd9 tactical better sights

xd9 tactical how to eliminate 6 o clock

xd9 tactical sights

Click on a term to search for related topics.