• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

i accidentally shot myself with my xdsc9mm

This is a discussion on i accidentally shot myself with my xdsc9mm within the General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk forums, part of the XD Talk category; First, I wish you the best in the recovery of your injury. I applaud you for having the courage to post what happened, so others ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk » i accidentally shot myself with my xdsc9mm

Closed Thread
Old 05-13-2010, 01:00 AM   #21
XDTalk Member

Member #: 45589
First, I wish you the best in the recovery of your injury. I applaud you for having the courage to post what happened, so others can remind themselves to be very careful. I haven't read the replies yet, but I hope no one gets on you as you have learned the hard way.

Most would never admit it, but accidental discharges happen much more often than reported, I suspect. I NEVER thought it would happen to me, but it did. Fortunately, I did not break the rule of always pointing the gun in a safe direction. The damage was mainly to my pride and a hole in the floor.

Best wishes.
Remove Ads
Old 05-13-2010, 01:29 AM   #22
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 38337
i shot my chrono on accident one time but i only have a 9mm and i didnt hit anything important so the chrono is still with me working today.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

iPSC# A66009
iDPA# A38321
Old 05-13-2010, 01:30 AM   #23
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 44924
Don't feel too bad about it. I have a Titanium plate in my arm, because I was driving a go-cart(of all things) like an idiot. I flipped it, and was too big to fit inside the roll cage. Happened 2 weeks before my first son was born. Anybody every try to change a diaper one-handed? Learn from it, and share it so others can learn from it.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:41 AM   #24
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 4352
That sucks. Glad it didn't end up worse for you.

You are right about being OCD when it comes to clearing and handling a gun.
"For those of us who exercised our privilege to serve our country, I can honestly say we did it proudly and shared a common bond of patriotism that those who were unwilling to answer our country's call will never understand or appreciate." - Dennis Foell
Old 05-13-2010, 02:06 AM   #25
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 7918
Ok, I've shot myself twice, both times with a BB gun. Once in the finger ( don't know how it got in front of the muzzle lol ) and once I was able to see through the scope as the BB ricochet off of a tree about 20feet away and struck me right between the eyes lol.

In a somewhat similar incident to yours, my XD-40 and I were trying to duplicate a jam that a poster here had reported. I was fine but the bathroom vanity and sink will never be the same
Glad you're gonna be ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski098 View Post
Oh yeah.(late at night here, kind of groggy myself and definitely NOT playing w/my gun)

About 4 years ago I had a piece of 1/4" plywood fly back from the tablesaw and crush the joint on my pinky. Not quite as much damage as that but very similar.(Only 18 stitches) Painful, but I barely notice it anymore. The only time I do is when it's about to rain.
Mine was a piece of 3/4" particle board that shot back and gave me a bleeding bruise on my tummy. Live and learn.
Uzi, Sterling MK6, GSG-5.
Bersa Thunder 45, CZ75-SP01 Tactical, CZ75 Compact 40, DW CBOB 10mm,USP Custom Combat40, SA-1911,
XD-9 Service, XD-9SC Black, XD-9SC Bi-Tone, XD-40 Service Bi-tone, XD-45C Dark Earth, XD-45C Tactical Black,
Sig P228x2, Sig P220, Sig Mosquito, Steyr M9, Walther P-22, Beretta 92FS Inox
Old 05-13-2010, 06:56 AM   #26
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 12926
mountaineerscxd,I hope you heal up in short order!I know you have learned by your mistake and I think its great for manning up to it.
Ruger MkII
Remington 870 Tactical
Ruger 44 Super Blackhawk
Kel Tec P3AT
Aramalite AR-15
Old 05-13-2010, 07:08 AM   #27
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 21738
I'm glad that you are alive and kicking, and hopefully all will heal up back to normal.

I'm not going to ride you hard, because you've been through enough already and I'm sure you won't forget what you've just learned.

But I do have a question for you. You said (note bolded parts):

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaineerscxd View Post
I then reloaded the gun, you know, just in case some crack head decided to break in over night, and stored it in my "secret hiding place"

Two and a half hours later, I returned home from taking my girlfriend out to eat and fretting the whole time about how to fix my gun.

***this is where i got careless***

I got the gun out and decided that i was going to dry fire it at few times to see if the pin would wiggle out any. At this point in time it was about 12:30 at night and I was half asleep. NEVER SCREW WITH A GUN WHEN YOU'RE SLEEPY! I unfortunately was paying more attention to the pin than whether or not there was a magazine in the gun. I racked the slide slowly one time, held the gun parallel to my body, then pulled the trigger. The gun fired a round and a bullet went through my left index finger knuckle.
If you loaded the gun, then wouldn't you have noticed a round ejected when you racked the slide later in the evening?
Old 05-13-2010, 07:13 AM   #28
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 21415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski098 View Post
Ouch... that looks very painful. I hope you can still play the violin after all the stiches come out.

On the bright side. I imagine the number of people who actually get shot is pretty low. Kinda of like lightning strikes. So your odds of ever having to go through this again is like 1,000,000 to 1.
Odds of being struck by lightening 1 in 750,000

Since this equates to 600 people per year being struck by lightening your odds of being shot are much greater.

The three major metro areas in the US alone generate more than 600 shooting victims per year.

Detroit, Chicago and Washington DC alone can account for 600 shooting victims in a good month.

This Veteran is heavily medicated for your safety.

A lot not alot or allot
Threw, through, thru know the difference.
Your, you're
An or and
There, their, they're

Homonyms work sheet
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

List of homonyms

Old 05-13-2010, 07:27 AM   #29
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 43660
Glad you're okay. Good luck on the healing.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:09 AM   #30
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 26578
Here's to a speedy and complete recovery, and thanks for sharing an experience that, as bad as it was, could have been much worse. Your narrative just might give one of the rest of us enough pause for thought to prevent a similar event in the future.

As we get more and more familiar with our firearms and routines in dealing with their cleaning and handling, it's easy to become robotic and on mental "cruise control", and as your experience illustrates, you just can't let down for even a minute.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk

9mm, sub compact

Search tags for this page
accidentally shooting yourself

accidentally shot myself

field stripping bushmaster 308 orc
i accidentally shot my
i accidentally shot my self

i accidentally shot myself

i shot myself in the hand
shot my finger accidentally with a .22
shot myself
shot myself in hand
shot myself in the hand
what happens if i shoot myself in the hand with a 22
Click on a term to search for related topics.