• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Failure to Eject...

This is a discussion on Failure to Eject... within the General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk forums, part of the XD Talk category; So I bought my XD 9 brand new about 2 weeks ago. Just took it to the range with a female friend and had a ...

Old 03-23-2010, 10:48 AM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 44477
Question Failure to Eject...

So I bought my XD 9 brand new about 2 weeks ago. Just took it to the range with a female friend and had a couple problems. She shot a total of 15 rounds through my XD, and managed to get a spent shell stuck in the breach twice. The 15 rounds were loaded into 3 separate mags, and two times the slide also failed to lock back on the final round. Including the 15 rounds my friend shot, my XD has a total of 200 rounds through it, all Blazer Brass FMJ. Of the 185 rounds I fired through it I never once had any type of malfunction.

So, my question is, should I be concerned? 2 FTEs and 2 failures to lock the slide back in 15 rounds kind of seems like a lot. I am quite positive she was limp wristing, but I have heard that XDs are supposed to preform flawlessly regardless of limp wristing. Or am I just worrying about it too much? Is this something that will go away after I break the gun in more?

Thanks in advance!

- Max
Old 03-23-2010, 10:58 AM   #2
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 43899
If you only had FTEs while she was firing then she probably was limp wristing. The key here is the slide wasn't locking back. that means thee wasn't enough force to fully compress the recoil spring (probably due to limp wristing). However, no gun is perfect. Now, I don't build XDs, but I would imagine a 9mm, having a weaker recoil, than a 40 or 45, would be more susceptible to limp wristing. I don't know if that is taken into account when the gun is engineered. Either way, like I said no gun is perfect and the XD will fire for you reliably all the time as long as you use it properly. I have 800 rounds thru mine and not one issue.

Here's a link for a video where various handguns are tested against limp wristing.
Ocean82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:59 AM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 43487
I would guess limp wristing and a grip where her right thumb is touching the slid lock.

Did you watch her shoot and did her hand and/or arm come up much after each round fired?

EDC companions: Kershaw Shallot, Kershaw Salvo, Leatherman Wave and Fenix LD-20

HD: Remington 870 Express 12 Ga 18.5" w/Knoxx Special Ops Stock and Red Dot Sights
Hunting + SHTF: Stoeger P-350 12 Ga 20"+26" Max Camo and Red Dot Sights - SKS 7.62 x 39
smokiesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:03 AM   #4
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 21171
It's limp wristing and/or grip. Teach her how to shoot and teach her that she controls the gun. Through a process of elimination you know that if it's fine when you shoot it 9 times out of 10 it's user error.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:04 AM   #5
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 3721
I would suspect Limpwristing also. That would also cause the slide not to lock back.

Ocean82
The 9mm and .40 have the same recoil spring weight.
Quote:
Battlestar Galactica Book Of Pythia
"All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."
Quote:
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. River Tam Serenity
agalindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:04 AM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

I don't think she was touching the slide lock, but I did notice that the gun was traveling towards her horizontally a little after each shot, rather than rising up vertically, which made me assume limp wristing.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:06 AM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matlt View Post
It's limp wristing and/or grip. Teach her how to shoot and teach her that she controls the gun. Through a process of elimination you know that if it's fine when you shoot it 9 times out of 10 it's user error.
Once the gun is broken in will FTEs stop due to limp wristing, or is the 9mm round always susceptible to limp wristing regardless?
Old 03-23-2010, 11:20 AM   #8
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 27336
All firearms are 'susceptible' to failure due to mishandling. Don't expect a gun to be capable of making up for poor technique. It is just a simple mechanical device. Any caliber or style can be effected in some manner.
Trijicon / PRP / PistolGear barrels / SuperTuck
NRA Endowment Member SAF Member
ThumperIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:45 AM   #9
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 43899
I would assume the 'weaker' the caliber, the softer the recoil spring. Like we all said. Train her on how to properly grip the pistol and her problems will stop.
Ocean82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:51 AM   #10
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 3721
Nope, 9mm and 40 use the same spring weight. I suspect, they do it like glock, the heaver the caliber the heaver the slide. The spring weight stays the same for all calibers.
Quote:
Battlestar Galactica Book Of Pythia
"All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."
Quote:
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. River Tam Serenity
agalindo is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk

Search tags for this page

1911 failure to extract

67 springfield 20 ga fails to eject shells
faiure to eject limp wrist
m-1911 won't eject
marlin m57 will not eject shells

rem 870 failure eject

shotgun.com 870 failure eject shell

sks failure to eject

springfield xd fte

springfield xd wont eject spent round

stoeger failure to eject

stoeger, failure to eject shells

tokarev m57 won't eject

what causes failure to eject

why wont my xd eject shells

xds sub 9 weak ejecting of spent rounds

Click on a term to search for related topics.