• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Should "Neat Freaks" avoid Bi-tone? / Cleaning Question

This is a discussion on Should "Neat Freaks" avoid Bi-tone? / Cleaning Question within the General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk forums, part of the XD Talk category; Hey gang! I have an observation / question if I may. I recently took my new XD40-SC Bi-tone out for it's first trip to the ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk » Should "Neat Freaks" avoid Bi-tone? / Cleaning Question

Old 03-21-2010, 03:51 AM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 44276
Should "Neat Freaks" avoid Bi-tone? / Cleaning Question

Hey gang! I have an observation / question if I may.

I recently took my new XD40-SC Bi-tone out for it's first trip to the range on Friday. (First Time Out - thwarted by movie shoot! ack!)

I'm not a total 'neat freak' per se (in denial)... but when I spend a decent amount of $ on stuff, I like to keep it as clean and 'like new' as possible.

When cleaning the slide afterward, I noticed a LOT of black buildup where the back of the shell casing meets the slide / firing pin. I use Ballistol as my cleaning agent / lubricant. I had a b*tch of a time getting the aforementioned black buildup out of there. There are so many small edges and surfaces in that area of the slide.

I realize that my Glock probably has the same gunk all over it, and I just can't see it on the black colored steel.

1. Am I being totally anal? Is this buildup simply a side effect of the large scale explosion happening just a few millimeters away? I don't see the gunk anywhere else in the slide.

2. If I'm not crazy... is there a suggested method for getting that stuff out of there? I'm weary of getting any Ballistol down in the internals of the slide. I'm also using a tooth brush with synthetic bristles. Is it acceptable to use a wire brush on the slide? I don't want to scratch it up.

Thank you in advance for any help / suggestions... I'm trying to 'think out loud' here as best as possible to make the situation clear. If you guys want a photo of the 'gunk' I can attempt to upload one.

My ongoing attempt at building an AR:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Last edited by ChrisToad; 03-21-2010 at 03:53 AM. Reason: typo
ChrisToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-21-2010, 07:19 AM   #2
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 6127
just part of the game id say , you make try different brands of ammo to stop some of the dirt but i have both bitone guns and black , all getthe same dirt
XD compact 4in, 45 acp black,
XD bi tone service 9
COUPLE SHOTGUNS
COWBOY GUNS

BUNCH OF OTHER STUFF TOO
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
shaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:21 AM   #3
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 33554
I have the same gun-love it by the way. I've always just used a brass brush on it. At first I was worried about scratching the slide but there is no easier way to clean that crap out. You can buy special brushes, and I have some but I just use the same brass brush that I clean the barrel with. I find that you can give the gun a wet down with cleaner, then brush-I have a "catch-all" box under the bench and I hold the parts of the gun over it and spray the crap comes right off

I'm anal too and clean my guns much too much. The guys at the range scoff at me but I think a clean gun is easier to shoot and functions better too. Oh also, I've tried every cleaner in the book-just use breakfree and the only way to get lead out is to scrub, scrub, scrub.

Also, make sure to clean the firing pin tunnel-it will get crapped-up and slow down the firing pin causing ftf

Last edited by .40 Smith and Wes; 03-21-2010 at 07:23 AM. Reason: forgot something
.40 Smith and Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:26 AM   #4
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 43664
Enjoy it, it was made to get dirty.

I also lost all my guns in a terrible Boating accident. There seems to be alot of accidents these days.
southern thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:45 AM   #5
XDTalk Member

Member #: 4914
My old bruniral or whatever finish XD9 has a brass colored circle around the firing pin hole. Brass brush wont get it off with any solvents I use. I could bust out the Dremel, but I just aint worried about it.

My only guess is the brass case getting slammed into that part of the gun, but I do wonder why mine is brass colored while yall's is black.

Maybe it just looks darker on yall's stainless slides.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:58 AM   #6
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 29650
Don't worry, I'm the same way. There's nothing wrong with taking care of your investment. The spot you described is the only place on my hard chromed XD45 that I don't worry about anymore. I hit it with a brush (any brush softer than the metal/finish) but don't get it all anymore.
eb_311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:58 AM   #7
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 2309
Yep, Anal is a good word for it.
Sig P220, [COLOR=red]Taurus PT1911,Browning HiPowr 9mm,, CZ75, CZ75 P01, Walther PPS 9mm, Savage 9317 BTVS .22, Browning Buckmark, Taurus Gaucho 357 (pair), Taurus Gaucho 45LC (pair), Uberti 1873 Saddle Rifle 357, Uberti 1873 45 LC Carbine, TTN 12 Gauge Double, Ruger Bisley Vaquero 357 (pair), Springfield XD9SC, XD45 Service, XD45 Compact Tactical, XD(M) 40S&W BiTone, Taurus 617 357, Remington 870 12 TacticalXDS 9 Bitone,SIG 226 9 EQINOX, SIG 228 9MM,SIG 1911 22,S&W MP 15,S&W 15-22
rgeliske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:20 AM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 42024
My Sig P250 SS and my XD9SC bi-tone both have the same buildup. I get off as much as I can with a brass brush and Breakfree and then leave it be. Not much else you can do. At least your gun has this problem: if it was a safe queen it wouldn't, and I think that is a much worse problem!
timebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 03:17 PM   #9
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 44276
A HUGE 'thank you' to all of you for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it!

I will attempt to hit it with a brass brush and see what happens... beyond that I should be able to get over it pretty easily knowing you guys are experiencing the same thing.

Enjoy the balance of the weekend!

My ongoing attempt at building an AR:

ChrisToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 03:22 PM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 38658
Break free and some good scrubbing. But I'm the same way - it better be sparking like the day I bought it or I didn't do a good enough job! I'll admit, OCD here I come...

"The best example of good training is to never get in a fight."

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until you're ready to ventilate something..." -Anon.
dagwag77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk

bi-tone, cleaning, sasquatch

Search tags for this page
ballistol tfo
bi tone colored slide

brass brush on glock slide

brass brush on slide
clean xd 40 bi
clean xd 40 bitone

cleaning bitone slide

how is xd 40 bi tone holding up
new springfield xd bitone slide problems
polishing my springfield bitone
springfield xd 40 bitone smoke slide
springfield xd 40 tacticsl bi color
springfield xd 45 in bi color

xd 40 bi color

xd-9 bi tone vs black
xd9 bi tone smoke
Click on a term to search for related topics.