• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

DIY big dot sights installation

This is a discussion on DIY big dot sights installation within the General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk forums, part of the XD Talk category; Is it as simple as punching out the old ones then centering the new ones within the markings on the slide then applying lock tite ...

Old 02-09-2010, 01:22 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 27255
DIY big dot sights installation

Is it as simple as punching out the old ones then centering the new ones within the markings on the slide then applying lock tite and letting it dry
? any tips?
45calibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-09-2010, 01:43 PM   #2
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 39051
The thing that changes this from simple to almost impossible is the tightness of the XD sights. I had to buy a sight pusher to get the original sights out of the slide. Some sight pushers won't even do the job. The best deal I found was the Model and Tool sight pusher - matt@modelandtool.com. It the least expensive I found and works on 99% of pistols. The big dot sights are as easy to put in as it gets. All this is well worth the effort and trouble, IMO.
XD357sig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:46 PM   #3
XDTalk Member

Member #: 41282
Maybe my current little dilemma may put it in perspective for ya. I recently ordered a set of TFO's for my XD and they finally came in, figured I would have one of the local shops put them on instead of sending the slide to Gilberts where I bought the sights from. Yeah after a trip to each of the 2 local shops, neither will even consider putting the sights on due to the fact that XD's are notorious for being a PITA with sights. So now I'm sending the sights and my slide back to Gilberts for the install, apparently what I should have done in the first place. Lesson learned on my part and when I order sights for my other XD I'm just going to send the slide in right from the get go.
genXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:31 PM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 27255
What's the easiest way to get the old ones off without that expensive press? What direction should I take them off? SA charges $105 for XS sights installed but how much would shipping be?
45calibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:50 PM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 25652
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45calibre View Post
What's the easiest way to get the old ones off without that expensive press? What direction should I take them off? SA charges $105 for XS sights installed but how much would shipping be?
On any XD you need the press in order to get the sights off without damaging your slide. Either sending your slide off to get the sights installed OR buying a press and doing it yourself is cheaper than a new slide. 9 times out of 10 banging on it with a punch and hammer will only break and gouge things. Some people cut the stock sights off with a Dremel...but you better have a steady hand.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:09 PM   #6
GAP
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 41149
I simply banged mine out with a steel punch and a vice. The rear sight was easy to get out. The front was a struggle. Putting my big dots in was easy. The big dot rear sight is fall out loose. But the provided locktite and set screws make it 100% secure it. The big dot front took some filing like the instructions state. It took like an hour. It was no big deal. Even with the steel punch, I did no damage, cosmetic or otherwise, to the slide.
GAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:24 PM   #7
XDTalk Member

Member #: 23136
I put metprolite sights on my xd45 and like others have said getting the old ones out are a PITA. I knocked mine out with a brass punch and a 2lb mallet. I did scratch the front just a bit due to breaking the front site but who cares its my carry pistol and it is going to get a little banged up. I am never selling it so I dont mind. And a small scratch is worth saving a few bucks on a tool to use once. Good luck with which ever way you choose.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:36 PM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 40263
Used a punch that a buddy ground down to fit the slide better. No scratches, but as has already been stated, the factory sites are REALLY tight! TFO's went right in. Good luck!

Mike

Mike
speedjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:08 PM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 42080
I HAD A GUNSMITH MESS UP A SET OF TFOs SO I BOUGHT THE TOOL TO DO MY OWN. IT IS EASY AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A BORE SIGHTER
LIQUID FAST 1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:34 AM   #10
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 41512
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45calibre View Post
I went with the XS sights on my XD9SC and first checked with SA for price + install. Here is what I received back on January 28, 2010:

No, we do not stock the XS sights for the XD handguns. You can ship the sights with your pistol for installation. Cost to install customer supplied sights on an XD which do not require any milling of the slide for installation would be $65. Estimated turnaround time for installation of customer supplied sights would be approx. 2-3 weeks from receipt of the pistol in our shop for the work. Return shipping and handling charges are not included in this price. Return ground shipping and handling for the slide only is $8.95; with $30 return shipping charges for the complete pistol.

Deb
Custom Shop Coordinator
Springfield Custom
420 West Main St.
Geneseo, IL 61254
800-617-6751
customshop@springfield-armory.com

Overall, that made it $120 + $65 not including tax and shipping costs. I had XS install the sights for $40 with no return shipping fee and it took 3 days (but I do live in Dallas so I'm ~30 miles from XS). They quoted 5 business days to install.

I went to the range last Thursday right after Fedex delivered and really like the sights on my SC.
Ag86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk

Search tags for this page
1911 diy dot sight
3dot sights diy
big dot rear sight loose

diy 3 dot sights

diy gun sight installation tool
diy gun sight pusher

diy sight pusher

home made sight pusher

homemade sight pusher

homemade sight tool

homemade sight tool pistol
install xs sight with sight pusher

install xs sights on springfield xd

installing xs big dot sights on xd

installing xs sights on springfield xd

Click on a term to search for related topics.